WHO CAN DO A GOOD OM606 CONVERSION IN THE UK

26 replies [Last post]
jamie waterfiel...
jamie waterfield 280ge's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi All ,

I am looking to do OM606 / Manual conversion on my w460 280 ge auto ...

whos had it done ?
who /were done the job ?
what should you be paying labour for a job like this if i supply the parts ?
who to avoid ? 
whos good @ this ?

if your good at this and have got the time & knowledge to do the job please inbox with your details
all comments and messages will be much appreciated weather your slating some one to steer me away or praising some one guiding me to good job done at the right money .

Happy New Year . jamie

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: WHO CAN DO A GOOD OM606 CONVERSION IN THE UK

PM Tony brugger, he can put you in touch with the one you can better advice or perhaps do the conversion for you. Please discuss it with him.

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

is it really finacially worth it ? given your 280 is a play thing, the initial outlay ? compared to the fuel savings between petrol and diesel 

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

is it really finacially worth it ? given your 280 is a play thing, the initial outlay ? compared to the fuel savings between petrol and diesel 

jamie waterfiel...

well it is very greedy on fuel its drank £170 in the last few outings , if we go to deep in water we get the splutters lol , some banks it will not climb due to the lack of power / heavy weight ..over a good few years of pleanty of use im sure it would balance things out , and the way the G drives with the OM606 engine and six speed box feels so 2010 .. could not belive i was driving a w460

and im sure if i were ever to get rid ( witch is not going to happen ) that it would be worth a great deal more than it is now ?

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

i never had an issue with my 280 losing pace up hill..as for deep water...just stay out of it...it amazes me why so many people think off roading is going in deep water..it caues so many issues later on with electrics you name it...anyone can go in water...I found the G was above that..it requires more technical stuff to show what the G is capable of...which is what got me into competative off roading early on.

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

£170....small change for a man that owns 2 G and a range rover !

jamie waterfiel...

i do tend to keep out of water if i have to go through some thing though when theres no turning back kinda thing il go through , i do think waters for boats and jetskis , im not 100% if my 280s performing to its full ( 1st 280 auto )

G Singh
G Singh's picture

Have you thought of updating fueling and injection  system with  sequential fuel injection aftermarket kit? You would benefit from better fuel economy, more power and you can also have different maps for different road uses, all from your own laptop anytime and anywhere. 

jamie waterfiel...

small change yeah but if them 220 miles is costing me £80 - £90 saving me £80 - £90 a week over 2 years thats a 8k + conversion paid for.... i might have a fuel issue not quiet sure .. when i take my foot of the gas though say at 60mph as its slowing down you can hear poping noise from the exhaust like a quiet anti lag sound and i do get the odd smell of fuel

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

did you know that there is a small drain hole in the chambers that the spark plugs fit..its a drain hole and these get clogged up..you need a wire coat hanger or small welding rod to clear the crap, this enabes the water to drain and not hold in the wells.

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

most I got was 14 MPG and 16 on a run..then put on my old lpG system and run it on that till I rolled it, and sold it.

G Singh
G Singh's picture

Popping with the foot off the pedal sounds like the fuel cut off on the overrun is not working, has your g got fuel injection cis-continious fuel injection with electronic control?  If the fuel cut off valve on the injection metering head is not working it will also stop regulation  of the fuel pressure correctly which will make the fuel consumption high.

jamie waterfiel...

G ive never erd of or dont know any thing about sequential fuel injection .. the only thing ive done to previous G`s is drive them , never tuned or upgraded before , my 280ge is the first ever .

hus55
hus55's picture

axel606 is the man !!!! no one else in the uk would do it better that i know of at least...

unless you want to send the G out here..... [only joking]

ian,the 280 is a bloody alcholic !! i have owned 2 of them over the years and was horrified at the 12-14 mpg. the G300  petrol is much better on fuel. [my clk55 amg is much better on fuel...

just to give you and idea, my cabrio has the 606a fitted and i am now running 37" mudzillas with a 5 speed manual gearbox from a w124 250D. the diffs are ultra low 6.17 and the G seems to able to cruise a 40 mph in 5th and still pull off under acceleration.

i put about 3.5 gallons in it the other day and managed to 85 miles out of it. this works out to 25 mpg !!! this gives me reason to believe that a G without these tires and diffs and a 6 speed gearbox would see 28+ mpg quite possible.

and this would make the G a very useable everyday commuter .

rgds hus.

jamie waterfiel...

ahh brilliant , i didnt know this .. am not much cop with a spanner to be honest .. but for the first time on sunday ive left it some one thats owned and knows a bit about G`s so if i tell him all this it might help me out on getting & keeping it right . cheers

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture
jamie waterfiel...

G i have not got a clue what its got fuel inj wise but i will put this across to the chap thats doing a few needed bits to it .. cheers

jamie waterfiel...

Thats whos G ive drove all ready and his work is amazing .. this is whats set me off after going down to collect my auto box & getting to drive the OM606 & OM662 G``s why i was there .. ;)

funny you should say that .. i was driving along sunday morning with my two pals who like the pop , i said i dont know drinks more you two or this G ...  i might have to name the 280 daniel or keith lol

jamie waterfiel...

Thanks Rakesh , ive spoke to tony all ready , its looking that way all ready .. would of bin nice if some one had the same skills/knowledge more on the door step ..

LEEU
LEEU's picture

I am on my 2nd 606 conversion, first an N/A and now a highly tuned big turbo. I would never go the turbo route again, the 606 N/A has enough power.

Mine was a diesel to start with, but having owned a 280 before, the fuel consumption is very similar. On a run, keeping to 120km/h I get about 5km/l or +-14m/gal.

With the N/A 606 I got about 20m/gal, and I drive like an old woman.

Tony Batterbee in North Wales has done my conversions, he is very good, and cheap – under £1000 for labour. I can send you pic’s of the engine bay, just pm me your email address. There are however a lot of things to do and change, and I would only suggest you do this type of thing if you have an itch and a lot of interest, a 300 petrol would be a lot better option – better still, make sure the 280 run as it should, and fit a nice set of wheels with an ORC +2” suspention.

This was going to be my last G, and I have already bought a new Isuzu pickup to replace it, but I see another 500 on the horizon….

jamie waterfiel...

yes i have a lot of interest , my 280ge as got some 2 inch trail master 2 suspension & kingpin trekker extreme tryes , only 15 inch alloys .. ive also just purchased a w463 300ge and that seems nice on fuel tbh

hus55
hus55's picture

hi leuu. i have as you know been running the 606a for a goodfew years now and learnt alot over the years. but i am still far from superior in the technical know how dept. the 606 na in my point of view a good engine for the G.had i not driven the 606a i would say you are right.but the 606a is a different ball game. jamie knows this already as he has had the pleasure of seeing it first hand.
its an unbelievable combination when fitted with the right gearing and fitted by someone that knows  them eyes shut...

i am sure your mechanic is able and capable to undergo the conversion, but i think axel606 must be one the best on the planet if you are a pefectionist and want the ULTIMATE! i am not sure as to what budget jamie has on this project but you get what you pay for in life, you know this only too well.

when i eventaully get to convert my G300 to td power i will probably end up driving it back to the uk and leaving it in his capable hands. i have yet to see a better man for the job...

ps, 4get about the 500 christo ! pay mike a visit and see what you have been missing mate.

psx2 HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS !

rgds hus

G Singh
G Singh's picture
LEEU
LEEU's picture

The ebay add is the right engine, and Huss my reason for looking at 500's again is simply because they cost the same to run, have the same power as I have now, and they are simple. I cant see how my 300td at 260bhp can give me the same trouble free milage as a stock standard 500. Huss was right with one thing, and that is that the turbo lag would bother too much, but with a 500 there is none.

List of additional issues with the conversion:
New aircleaner setup
Sump, oil pickup and dipstick
Brake booster
Waterpump
AC pump needs new bracket
Space for intercooler (on top of hot engine is not ideal)
New exhaust down pipes

All in all is straight forward enough, but everything needs a thought, and I am getting a bit fed up now.

hus55
hus55's picture

morning christo. i agree with alot of your points about the parts and the hassle thats involved in this conversion , especially if you want it done to perfection. theres alot work and time involved and you have to be patient..

this is why i mention mike axel606 as the best guy for this conversion. what he will charge i donmt know, but you pay peanuts and you get monkeys in life...[i know, i have been there...]

but i dont think the economy of the 500 is gonna be the same as the 606a. an unmodfified 606a fitted to an un modified G will easily return 28 mpg.

my friend owns a 90 model 300GDL . one of the very early production versions and the first one imported into the north. it has the 5.33 diffs meaning it ran on taller tires. the previous owner fitted a 606na  to it before he sold it to my friend. its anoice smooth G now running on 33 hankooks, konis, orc coils etc. but i found iut very underpowered for cyprus due to the mixture of roads around town and on the motorway mountain passes. with a full load and 6 passengers it really struggles...it needs that little extra help from a turbo to sing it along. [ please dont see me a racer. i like the reassurance of the power under my right foot.]

good luck jamie with your quest...

G-Restorations
G-Restorations's picture

Does anyone have business contact details for Tony Batterbee  I want to contact him with a view to doing my 606a cconversion regards gordon