9 replies [Last post]
blavatsky
blavatsky's picture

Whats best in a 463?

i would have thought diesel, as you have fuel economy and a bit more tork

prwales
prwales's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: Whats best in a 463, Diesel or Petrol?

I am guessing that you mean the 2 three litre engines, petrol and diesel. If not ignore this. The petrol has considerably more power and torque than the diesel and in auto mode only returns 18mpg but in my manual I have regularly returned 20mpg. The diesel is better in this respect but not fantastically so a range of 23 to 26 mpg depending on auto/manual and driving style. The diesel though is a slug, 113 bhp to drag around 2 and a half ton is not much; a 0-60 time of 21.7 seconds compared with 13 for the petrol.

blavatsky
blavatsky's picture

cheers prwales,

yes i do mean the two 3litre engines. how hard is it to put a turbo on the diesel engines and would it make much difference in performance?

prwales
prwales's picture

there are lots of threads on this in the diesel section of the forum, I am not sure if these are members only, if it is its well worth joining

http://gwoa.co.uk/forums/g-technical-forums/diesel

Audiominx
Audiominx's picture

That's worth knowing.. I've never been brave enough to work out what mine does to the gallon!!

bigblock
bigblock's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

I can never get more than 15mpg out of my 463 petrol but that is probably because I am the man who ate all the pies.

Audiominx
Audiominx's picture

Mine's diesel but I have been accused of driving it hard. I don't do a huge amount of pies though, but I would be interested in knowing what mine did to the gallon, if only to feel sorry for myself

mark
mark's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Always stock up on good pies. I can easily get 60mpp on motorway.

IanA2
IanA2's picture

I have a good lpg sytem so it doesn't really matter who ate the pies!!

les
les's picture

To IanA2, I have a 3lt petrol 463, interested to hear what lpg system you have and where installed.
I was reading another thread about starting problems with a 280 petrol and could have told the owner very quickly what his problem was likely to be running LPG.
I have had a Honda Civic, two new Land Rover V8s, a New Land Rover Freelander V6, a Ford Triton V 10 and Currently another Triton V10 in an American RV. Also a Toyota Landcruiser V8. All with the exception of the Freelander(which was so awful it was sold after a year at great loss!) had to have expensive work done as they all  refused to start properly, the Triton after 28,000 miles and the others after about 50/60,000 with the exception of the Land Cruiser which managed about 90,000 before it needed a full top end rebuild.
All of these LPG conversions were of the non sequential type, however my latest Triton V10 does have a sequential system and is "guaranteed!!!" to not have this problem.
You may ask why I continue with LPG, until the modern generation of diesels I just hated the things, good for tractors and lorries but not in my car. The latest generation of diesels are however sensational, I have a VW Touarag with the V10 engine, it is stunning but it cost me over a thousand pounds to replace the alternator because six hours of labour are required to remove and replace it!. That is why I am now the owner of a G Wagon, I am using it for all my short runs and intend it to be my winter vehicle. I would like to convert it to LPG for the obvious savings, however all I have read in the various forums leads me to avoid this course of action as it seems to be accepted that you cannot fit a sequential sytem.
I would be pleased to hear your or any other comments on the latest information regarding types of LPG system for the 3,lt petrol fitted to a 1991 vehicle.