W463 Dashboard Lights

8 replies [Last post]
Mountain Goat 7
Mountain Goat 7's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Driving early this morning and all the dashboard lights went out  sad  in my G500 SWB but everything else working fine! Made keeping an eye on my speed tricky.....

I've checked the fuse (no. 2 - 10 amp - on fuseboard under glovebox) and it's fine. I'm now not sure what to try next. Could it be a faulty connection on main light switch? Or an earthing fault? If it is the light switch, do I have to dismantle the dash?

Has anyone got any bright ideas please?  enlightened

Huw

Ford Prefect
Ford Prefect's picture
Re: W463 Dashboard Lights

If nothing else has gone off it's unlikely to be a fuse.   When I had this happen on my 1991 G, I beat a rapid tattoo over and around the instrument cluster in time with the Tina Turner on the CD.   All the lights came back on.   You could try that.   I think Tina Turner may not have been compulsory for the rest of the treatment to work.   I suspect that there is a connector going into the dash which needs a bit of encouragement, but I've never had a 500 dash out to be able to give you an idea of what's there.

derekfinn
derekfinn's picture

Do you mean that the instrument cluster lights are gone ?

Cluster Lights Gone.

Disconnect the battery earth. On each side of the instrument cluster there is a clip approx 5mm inside the gap.

Guide a small pulling hook between the dashboard binicle and the instrument cluster.

Moving the guide hook left and right alternating pull the instrument cluster forward.

Disengage the connector detent and remove the wiring connector. (its a large multi-pin connector)

At the back of the head - replace all the bulbs as a precaution. (they are like christmass tree lights and can short)

Check the multi-connector that the pins are not damaged or bent out of alignment.

Reconnect the multipin connector and engage the detent clip.

ALL DASHBOARD Lights Gone (instrument cluster + Heating Control lights, + Electic windows, etc)

Fuse is gone (most likely) or you have an earth breakage. If your 100% sure the fuse is ok, you'll need a mulit-meter to fault find.

hope this help. Nice little job for the Christmas holidays.

M2dxb
M2dxb's picture

Did the instrument cluster completely go dead, including speedo?

If I remember correctly on the G500 it is connected by a large plug at the back, if the plug is not in 100% or comes loose it loses the connection and won't work, looking like a dead instrument cluster. Undoing the clip and putting the plug back on tightly should do the trick.

Good picture of similar setup here?:

http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/W168/Inst%20cluster%20muti%20plug.JPG

Good instructions some way down the page

http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.45.htm

Ford Prefect
Ford Prefect's picture

The other thing that went wrong was the panel dimmer switch gets mucky contacts and the lights go out.   Give it a few twirls and on and off and see if the lights come back on.

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Ford Prefect wrote:

If nothing else has gone off it's unlikely to be a fuse.   When I had this happen on my 1991 G, I beat a rapid tattoo over and around the instrument cluster in time with the Tina Turner on the CD.   All the lights came back on.   You could try that.   I think Tina Turner may not have been compulsory for the rest of the treatment to work.   I suspect that there is a connector going into the dash which needs a bit of encouragement, but I've never had a 500 dash out to be able to give you an idea of what's there.

yes and as the lady said ' Did you have a puppy, that always followed you around? laugh'

But seriously - if tapping makes the lights come on - it would be the connector as posted by another member, however I would check your fuses again as for all of them to go off would indicate that would be the problem. (Well it was on mine)

Nice that your G is back on the road, Could it have been something that was done when you had the bits and pieces fixed, that you could go back to the garage and get sorted?

Spider1V

Mountain Goat 7
Mountain Goat 7's picture

Thanks everyone for the feedback/advice - much appreciated!

Funnily enough, the lights are now back on........ it was a combination of loud Kraftwerk (Elektro Kardiogramm from their Tour de France album) and some impactive therapy on the dashboard!! However, there is clearly a problem which will, no doubt, return at the most inconvenient time. Like just before a long trip after dark....

It's not just the lights in the instrument cluster that were affected but also all the background lighting for the centre console switches/heater/aircon radio etc etc.. To my simple electrical brain this would seem to indicate that it's either an earthing problem or maybe where the overall power comes from for all these little bulbs before it splits to the instrument cluster or the centre console.  I assume the power comes direct from the back of the main light switch as turning this to side lights or headlights switches on the instrument lights etc.. If it is an intermittent connection on the back of the light switch can anyone help on how to access this switch - is it a dashboard disassembly job?

Cheers,

Huw

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

To get at Headlight switch easy, if the same as early 463?

Remove plastic switch cover ( the bit you turn ) probably need pliars with cloth to prevent damage, underneath there is a nut can't remember diameter ( 24mm?) unscrew, remove nut, plastic fascia should be revealed by now, then gives you access to switch?

Might just be a dodgy fuse, even though it passes test, sometimes fuse  holder can be eractic?

Ford Prefect
Ford Prefect's picture

I was told by a Merc dealer mechanic, in whom I have every confidence, that the dashboard used in the G exhibits the same problems as in the saloon.   If the rheostat isn't used then it could cut out.   Thee and me very rarely have to turn the dash lights off or down, so it stays in the same place for years.   This is the advantage, or disadvantage, of living in God's country.   Just keep moving it every so often.   If it works for you, let me know, and I'll buy Bobby another Jammy Dodger to have in his coffee break next time I see him.