w460 GE 230 converted to GE 280

2 replies [Last post]
Desert G
Desert G's picture

Hi,

I have just finished an engine swap from 230 to 280, am i suppose to change the diffrentials as well!!! put in mind its an auto box (not W4A018) and it feels as if it needs an extra gear at high RPMs!!! 
one other thing i don't know what type of auto box i have, it was provided by my mechanic.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: w460 GE 230 converted to GE 280

Hello Desert G,

Your query is very ambiguous.  "How long is a piece of string?"

Not having the full details of your vehicle, it is difficult to answer with any sense.

I have just compared the front axle of a 230G against a 280 G.  There are three different crown wheel ratios.

The 230G list, for the model checked, crown wheel ratios of: 37:6 or 49:9, the 280G list the following: 35:8, 37:7 or 49:9.  It follows the gearbox ratio has bearing on the results, so without knowing the gearbox you took off and comparing to the one you have fitted; it s is a point less exercise to conjecture upon.

You need to supply your chassis number, front and rear axle number including the gear ratios, these will be stamped on the plate riveted to the axles, tyres size, and gearbox details of the taken off and the one replaced before any consideration to your answer, I am afraid.

Cheers,

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: w460 GE 230 converted to GE 280

I would say yes as the 230 had a different ratio to the 280, both autos, my 230auto had different ratios to my 280 auto