6 replies [Last post]
prwales
prwales's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Stew-Em
Stew-Em's picture
Re: V8 400 diesel on e-bay

I like the advertising "very rare LHD" ..."in the UK"!?! Obviously no LHD's in the rest of Europe!!!!!

Anyway, i can't afford it - all to complex for me as well. Electrics for lights and stereo only. Simple.

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture

Check mobile.de for prices on these...looks about right at £18

Very few outside Germany/Austria for good reason

Yes they are wonderful and torquey and cruise all day at 160km on autobahn [v.thirsty at this speed]

Rode in/Drove one 2 years ago after a motorsport event in westphalia - impressed ! Also tows up to ***tonnes with powered brake trailer - popular with haulage and plant boys -

BUT...although using CDI family engine architecture the air intakes in the ebay picture tell the story...there was not room for the turbos so they turned the heads and put them in the 'V'.....;also this engine was not developed further for 'civilian' use due to MB policy

Would frighten UK Benz dealers but should be on Star system here

However a buyer should have DEEP pockets as this one is plenty old enough and have always had nightmares with repo's [bad karma]

So, if you can afford it and dont mind the [possibly HUGE] costs WONDERFUL!

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture

I fogot to say the miles[km's] are optimistic...mobile .de g's in general and esp V8's show big kms at this age

Roly
Roly's picture

Finished at £23k.

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture

Carry on ebaying...where will we see it next...

syncropete
syncropete's picture

Have owned one of these for 6 months now. It has a genuine 50,000 miles. I always make sure the fuel is clean - we live in africa - and add 2 stroke oil at 200 -1. Its a phenomenal carand has been reliable but not without its electronic niggles. If you know star, no problem it will enable you to turn off all the warnings on the dash - if not stay clear. I think people that have abused these cars by driving them hard have had issues. I treat it with respect and use the power occasionaly for overtaking etc but most of the time cruise around on this awesome wave of torque. I love it !