Seized bonnet catch 280GE

4 replies [Last post]
yachty
yachty's picture

Bonnect catch is seized/disconnected from release cable.
Bonnet release lever pulls back and forth without effect, suspect cable disconnected!

Is there a straight forward way to manually release bonnet catch otherwise?  Thanks all.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: Seized bonnet catch 280GE

In the past I have suggested removing the engine guard and with good torch lighting and long screwdriver or something similar to release the catch in this fashion; it would assist you if you had a helper to apply light pressure upwards as you release the catch.

Other suggestions came in, by some mentioning using a hooked coat hanger and release through the front grille.

After releasing, spray the catch and spring lever with penetrating oil and then apply a little oil and grease on both. Additional to insure against this situation, my tip is to attach an additional line to the release catch and lay that incandescently behind the grille and accessible enough to pull and release if this ever happened again.

To those who have not suffered this I suggest that you do the same to your vehicles and keep the latches oiled and greased.

A word of caution, you are working near the radiator cores, so don't poke into it!

Cheers, 

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi
as part of the service procedure disconnect the release cable inner ( piano wire) from the release handle under the dash ( like the ferrule on a bicycle brake lever) 
draw the ( Piano wire ) inner out of the sheath... wipe it clean and  remove any rusty surfaces and squirt WD 40 down the outer sheath from the catch end and then apply a liberal coating of grease to the piano wire..  insert the wire into the sheath and exercise in and out a few times....this will ensure smooth action and the handle returning on the spring in the catch mechanism every time for many  months to come...if inner ( piano wire) has broken at the catch end ease some slack along the cable length and trim a small piece off the outer sheath at the catch end ..this will expose enough inner ( piano wire) to fit into the catch pinch bolt without having to renew the release cable assembly...check that the outer sheath in tight in the clamp section of the handle under the dash... similar logic applies to 460 461 and 463 series G's

yachty
yachty's picture

Gents, many thanks for your responses.

I will repair/remedy the opening mechanism when at last I manage to open the bonnet.
Meantime, I must admit to struggling to find anything to lever in order to release said catch.

Embarrassing as currently for sale!

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi

Just priced these up for another forum member, if its any use....

All seperate parts now...

Lever A970 310 01 73 £9.10  + VAT

Wire Cable A460 880 01 59 £10.30 + VAT

Sheath A000 988 06 72 £2.20 + VAT per metre

Cheers

Gav