Rear coil springs 1992 463 SWB

7 replies [Last post]
Griff
Griff's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

I have a broken rear spring so need a pair for my 463, I have a friend who works in a motor factor and said they sell KYB springs, has anyone had experience with this manufacture?

mgrays
mgrays's picture
Re: Rear coil springs 1992 463 SWB

KYB are a well enough known suspension maker. I fitted Lesjofors (Swedish) to mine in 461 Van rating to up the towing capability as stock are a bit soft.. but that was a 460 but they list the same springs for 463 I think. I would have fitted KYB but they had no stock and did not know what delivery time was.. so while they might be listed and cheap (£52 ea) they where not acutally available while Lesjofors were (£79ea).

This is a good site to cross reference on; http://www.oscaro.com/jeu-de-2-ressorts-de-suspension-gkn-49418-647343-188-p. GKN made the OEM ones; http://www.gknservice.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Brochures/English/Catalogue_Coil_Springs_SPIDAN.pdf

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

I had them on mine, far too soft, lost height after a month.

GkN catalogue looks very comprehensive but unsure of price

Griff
Griff's picture

My springs are all sorted I just finished fitting a pair of rear coil springs to my SWB 463, Fixwin30 Sent me a PM with a number of Suplex they took my registration number and sorted a pair of coil springs for my "G", It took me 4hr 30min not easy but she's standing better now.
Thanks for the information.

Griff
Griff's picture

Funny split in the old spring they were fitted on 07/2010 by a local garage, I think the quality is at question here.

The "G" is a different car handeling is greatly improved.

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi

Yes that would have been a bit spongy....

Looks like they are very thin?

Where in Gods country are you?

You never know we might get a Yorkshire meet going.....or jump "overt ill" with the Lancastrians!

Gav

Griff
Griff's picture

Hi Gav

I'm in Whitby I use the "G" to run around locally but it's been a godsend in the snow. I've got an "E" class merc and that's terrible even with a dusting on snow!

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi

Yes you get a fair covering up there and any RWD MB or BMW saloon are "fun" in a little snow, more so auto's, traction off and get it going, then let the electric wizardry take over again...

Get up that way quite a bit on holidays, Glaisedale and Esk Valley area mainly...

Beautiful part of the world! Especially in the snow...

Last time i was up there in the bad weather was 2010 and 2011, the trip from Whitby over the tops via Guisborough and down to relatives in Northallerton area was very "fun", the snow was certainly higher than my car at the side of the road, 4-5 foot in places.

Deffiniately G country...

Gav