PTO for VG150 Transfer Case?

10 replies [Last post]
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding's picture

Greetings all,

I am considering fitting a hydraulic winch to my 300GE Cabriolet, and am investigating powering the hydraulic pump with a PTO fitted to the transfer case. While I have heard from G owners who actually had a PTO on their 460's transfer case, I've never heard of anyone with a PTO on their 463. I have manual pages which describe how to rebuild the PTO, so I know it is supposed to exist, but have no clue as to part numbers or availability, etc. Does any one have, or know of anyone who has a PTO for the VG150? Is it real? Vaporware?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Spalding

Roly
Roly's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi Captain
One of the guys on this board ,Peter Perfect, investigated the PTO unit for the 150 T/C and found out that it was never made by MB although it does occur in some literature.

He uses the power steering pump to drive the winches

Captain Spalding

Roly wrote:
Hi Captain
One of the guys on this board ,Peter Perfect, investigated the PTO unit for the 150 T/C and found out that it was never made by MB although it does occur in some literature.

He uses the power steering pump to drive the winches

I'd heard that the PTO was never manufactured, but was hoping to get some information to the contrary.

I heard that the P.S. pump on the will put out sufficient pressure, but that the volume is such that the speed of the winch is verrry slow. I'll seek other options.

Thanks for the reply,

Spalding

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

I remember your posts about this same subject on the american forum. I was intrigued to find there was spec sheets on how to re-build the pto for the VG150 transfer case.
So I wanted to find out more. However having contaced the graz factory. they never got round to fully manufacturing the pto and hence I could not get the part number either.

If you are wanting to go the hydraulic way you must use a seperate pump, the g does not have enough volume or pressure to cope with steering and winching. As mentioned to you before I have both seperate pump running of engine and a pto pump on my 460. both work well. But to keep cost down and depending on use stick to electric, it will be much easier for you.

Captain Spalding

peter perfect wrote:
I remember your posts about this same subject on the american forum. I was intrigued to find there was spec sheets on how to re-build the pto for the VG150 transfer case.
So I wanted to find out more. However having contaced the graz factory. they never got round to fully manufacturing the pto and hence I could not get the part number either.

If you are wanting to go the hydraulic way you must use a seperate pump, the g does not have enough volume or pressure to cope with steering and winching. As mentioned to you before I have both seperate pump running of engine and a pto pump on my 460. both work well. But to keep cost down and depending on use stick to electric, it will be much easier for you.

Thanks, Peter. I'll consider that information as from the horse's mouth and put the issue, begrudgingly, to rest. My 300GE came with a Webasto heater which at this point in time is inoperative. I will make some effort to resurrect it the next time I service my truck, but if that proves impractical (here in southern California, it is not an essential component) I could pull it from underneath the hood - which would free up some space for a dedicated belt-driven hydraulic pump.

Or I might, as you suggest, just go for an electric setup. Probably a Warn XD9000 or a 9.5xp.

You wouldn't happen to know what the amperage output of an early 463 alternator is, would you? :)

Thanks again for your advice,

Spalding

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

The problem you would have under your hood would have been the A/C pump which you will obviously have being in the states. You would need to mount a dedicated pump in its place to run hydraulic winch. If you want a good strong electric slimline winch go for the new warn xp with the 6hp motor. Use a good leisure battery like on rv's (not convinced about optima) and use good thick cables from battery to winch. Use small diameter cable and overheating will occur. the thicker the cable the better the heat will disperse.

Have an amp meter inside cabin so when you are winching you can see the amp drawage when under hard winching. Again how far are you going to go with your truck off road and whats you budget. Thats what you have to take into account.
Hydraulic is better in my opinion but you do have to make sacrifices.

Captain Spalding

peter perfect wrote:
The problem you would have under your hood would have been the A/C pump which you will obviously have being in the states. You would need to mount a dedicated pump in its place to run hydraulic winch. If you want a good strong electric slimline winch go for the new warn xp with the 6hp motor. Use a good leisure battery like on rv's (not convinced about optima) and use good thick cables from battery to winch. Use small diameter cable and overheating will occur. the thicker the cable the better the heat will disperse.

Have an amp meter inside cabin so when you are winching you can see the amp drawage when under hard winching. Again how far are you going to go with your truck off road and whats you budget. Thats what you have to take into account.
Hydraulic is better in my opinion but you do have to make sacrifices.

Hi Peter,

It's a gray-market car from Europe and there's no A/C. Rather a Webasto setup and heated seats! It would be nice to have A/C, but it's a $3500 retrofit. No thanks. So, if I can't get it running and decide to lose the Webasto, that would leave a place open for a belt driven hydraulic pump. As the decision draws closer, only fear of the unknown has me leaning conservatively toward electric, and the 9.5xp is exactly what I was thinking about.

Re: the battery. Isn't the OEM Varta battery already of the deep cycle variety? Luckily there is already an ammeter in the dash (where the A/C controls would have been.)

Thanks again.

mercfan
mercfan's picture

Hi Captain,
As far as the battery is concerned, don't pay over the odds for something of inferior quality! Where you are in the world, you have easy (and cheap!)access to, in my opinion, the best batteries availble - AC Delco/Deltec. Talk to your local distributor/dealer/representative and he'll advise you on the best model for your application.
I have an engineer friend who does a lot of work for the people in Antarctica - preparing their Caterpillar tractors, sledges, generator sets, welders, etc. He even spent the best part of 2 years there as a diesel mechanic. He refuses to use anything but Deltec batteries. Opposite extreme: where I grew up we regularly see high temperatures of 45deg Celsius plus in the shade in summer(imagine the under-bonnet temp. of a strained chevy 350cu.in.)... After trying out virtually every single make avaialble we went back to Deltec. Despite their high price in Namibia(and 100% import duty from the USA) they were still worth every cent as they outlasted all the others by at least 100%. In 23 years between 19 vehicles we never had one last less than 8 years!

Captain Spalding

mercfan wrote:
Hi Captain,
As far as the battery is concerned, don't pay over the odds for something of inferior quality! Where you are in the world, you have easy (and cheap!)access to, in my opinion, the best batteries availble - AC Delco/Deltec. . . .

Thanks for the info, MercFan. On this side of the pond those in the know tend toward the Optima yellow top and the Odyssey PC 1700. The 1700 is actually very close in size to the OEM Varta battery, and at 930 CCA, the Optima doesn't come close. It also has a metal case and several terminal options. For space considerations, those running a dual battery setup normally opt for some combination of yellow/red top Optimas.

I'll definitely look into the DelTec.

Thanks again,

- Spalding

TvaiX
TvaiX's picture
Re: PTO for VG150 Transfer Case?

We had discussion here, somebody just sold one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Verteilergetriebe-mit-Nebenabtrieb-MB-463-Merc...

Somebody will try to replicate and report about it? :)

cox.adrian
cox.adrian's picture
Re: PTO for VG150 Transfer Case?

still available NEW but hate to think how much 

but if you can find one it can be fixed 

http://www.s-tec.at/1891_Drivetrain-components.aspx?LNG=en

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8x-IaAhywis