Parts for a 280GE's M110.998 from a 280E's M110.*** - Possible?

6 replies [Last post]
edhwalker
edhwalker's picture

So I plan to drive across africa. I have a choice between a simple petrol 460 280GE or a 463 300GD (with more problems arising as we speak).  I know that everybody says go for diesel. But, assuming that I go in the petrol I'd like to know that its fixable along the way.

So a 280GE has a M110.994 engine in it, and ours is ok despite being unbelievably thirsty and having a weeping head.

Lets assume I needs parts for the engine. Gs are rare out there but old mercs are everywhere across africa, particularly 230E and 280E, so there may well be access to a M110.988, M110.991 etc. etc.

Practically is there much from any M110 engine that can't be used on a G? I know its not ideal, but I'd sure be good to know that it can be fixed by some good old bush mechanics when out there!

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: Parts for a 280GE's M110.998 from a 280E's M110.*** - ...

Hi The M110 series engine has a lot of commonality across the range ..there is a Haynes Manual for the series of engines..G' alternator has a "snorkel" .....

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Hello edhwalker,

If you are insistent in taking a 280GE, I would recommend that you keep a spare pack of the ignition module and igniton coil as a spare with you. By all accounts, I certainly do not recommend that you travel with a leaking head. Problems or faults tend to get worse, not heal, so the whole idea is a no brainer by my opinion. Fuel at current prices would be a world issue, and a thirsty engine for a long trip goes the same way for me.

Your concern, for parts availability I can understand and possibly where you are coming from. By my logic, I reckon that a five cylinder diesel as fitted to the W460 - 300GD is just as available in African Countries as the M110 engine. The bush mechanics could cope with either.

What ever you decide, you need to make sure, that from the outset, the engine and vehicle is serviced and repaired to be worthy of such an expedition. You need to carry certain important parts, to possibly see you through, where bush mechanics are not going to be by the Road-side. Items such as power pack, properly charged up at all times, spare Battery (consider having two batteries with split-charging), Alternator and Regulator, Service items, Oils, Water, Fuel, Wiper Blades Radiator sealant, get the fibrous one from Wynn’s, not the powder one in sachets. Keep auxiliary drive belts, tyre tubes and tyre fitting tools, tyre pump (small air tank, adapted from truck tanks). The list goes on….  For the Batteries swop to the Gel type, instead of the convential, lead-acid.

Consider the mileage covered by the vehicle, have the whole vehicle evaluated for its worthiness and do not take short cuts to any repairs it might need, if you are having to do this, you should consider cancelling the trip, for your sake. Expeditions do not come cheap, plan well for it, have contingencies and above all consider the financial planning. Consider having a strong box built into the vehicle, to protect your travel documents, etc.

For security, consider carrying some Perspex sheeting you can cut out in place of broken windows, screen or better still, runners fitted. If any window is broken, you can slide the runner shut, giving shelter and protection. Carry appropriate fire extinguishers, or have this piped in for engine protection (I think these are argon filled).

Take some first aid courses before you leave, carry adequate medication, note: check to see if there are any restrictions of this for the countries you are planning to cross.

I am sure you are considering all this but Please do not take chances on you life-line, in particular your vehicle. You will demand a lot from it. If you respect it, it will respect you.

Good Luck and wish you bon voyage, when you are ready,

edhwalker
edhwalker's picture

Thanks for the replies.

The diesel is a 463 so a 6 cylinder...I think? though that  may not make that much difference as far as spares go? If the diesel was a 460 I'd definitely pursue it and make sure I'd got the repairs and take that one.

I'm planning on taking a whole load of spares with me whatever the vehicle, plus depending on budget and the vehicle make a roof rack from marine ply and bolt it on ( i have a cunning plan), take some Perspex, make storage boxes, awning, light guards, etc etc.

Out of interest, what major advantages do the gel batteries have?

All that aside,  I think I may have found an unsatisfactory solution to my dilema... I am going to vue a 2.4L Hilux surf on sunday... Apart from the head that has a tendancy on that model to go, it's a pretty safe bet. We'll see.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

The gel battery is comparatively lighter than the acid filled ones, safer to carry - no worries about acid spillages, they can be mounted any way you wish - even upside down, they are sturdier in construction and can withstand rougher journeys i.e. the antimony in the construction of cells in acid batteries does not breakdown thus diminishing the battery performance.

Obviously, these batteries are designed differently for different functions.  I think, there is a Red, Yellow and Blue one available, one is a deep cycle one which can withstand prolonged and heavy drain upon it, another is marine use and specification and another for (I forget)...  Take advice from the supplier. 

Ideally, if the batteries are wired up to a split charging system you can get the better usage out of them.  One battery can be always on reserve for starting purposes and the other can be used for powering other consumables with out worrying about draining the battery and having no power left for starting.  When the engine is runing each battery is recharged, the weakest one first, the split charger will turn to the second or even third battery (depending upon the split charger system fitted)

Cheers,

vbattery
vbattery's picture

I don't think you can do it, the 280GE's is Poor.

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

As some of you know I make regular [air] trips to West Africa and after 2 years my friends allowed me to drive alone at night and thats just Accra !! I also sell s/h MB engines in large quantities there so I feel I can make some comments.
In general you will not find ANY 6 cylinder engines...nearly all petrols are 4 cylinder carb engines pre Bosch injection..they DO not know them.     By and large the same is true of the diesels...import tax thresholds in most jurisdictions meant that they never arrived there although there are some 603 n/a taxis [called the engine that never dies ]
      The engines they know are the [616] 617 and the 602 ,although the rotary injection pump on d.i. 602s is nothing like as robust as the M pump[ hates water] and all the 4 cyl ones back to the mists of time...[iron head, small pump]
      The Gs I have seen are usually white lwb 461 with 602s in.[As recently said the 463 has a whiff of the Freelander about it}
      SURF ?? Along with the Estima is as bad a Toyota as you can get ,THERE is a reason for them being [cheap] personal import only...the best of the Toyotas is the 2.4 'black top' n/a 4 cyl as in every Hilux and Hiace and it is very very good...found every where in Africa [and the rest of the world] Also why these models are expensive to buy..[even when old and tired].
      Google the overland forums on Africa..a wealth of knowledge there ,much of it hard earned!!
      My advice ?? If you are a masochist put a 617 in your 460 easy peasy , if you REALLY want to travel around Africa in a G fit a 602 with an M pump...could be expensive if not diy..many home built 662[musso] engined 460/461's around,and can be built for c.£2000 in parts, plenty of info on the forums                                                                                                                                                                                                                 I         I  wish you well ,I have been hoping to drive to Ghana in a project swb 602 460 for 4 years..its still in the w/shop on revision 4 !!