options list for 460/463??

22 replies [Last post]
diesel_jim
diesel_jim's picture
Does anyone know where I could download (or could they email it to me) if there is one, the options catalogue for 460's or 463's...

Only to satisfy my interest (and maybe to secretly fill in my lotto win dream vehicle...)

I've seen the normal dealer list, colours, wheels, leather trim etc, but it's the *special* stuff I'm interested in, which I suspect would make it an extra special order, things like HD suspension, long range fuel tank, walk on bonnet, winch mounts/wiring, waterproofed items etc.

Cheers 8-)

fcp
fcp's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: options list for 460/463??

Orc.de do most of that stuff. Everything bar body panels will ship from Germany.

If you fancy a really trick front end, I'm toying with the idea of making some moulds for a flip-up Carbon Fibre/ Aramid front end (wings and bonet with air intakes etc). I haven't looked at it in detail, but I suspect that the bonnet could be made with aluminium honeycomb sandwich which would probably be walkable.. Not until next year though so you'll have to be patient.

I fancy a rotating roof mounted gun turret, but despite Gav's legendary EPC skills, he still yet has to find the option for me :(

bigblock
bigblock's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Did you have something like this in mind. Fibreglass Rally Raid body and steel chassis for sale on ebay for 5000euro a couple of years ago.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

The ORC link to their catalogue:

http://www.orc.de/produkte/download/Catalogue_Mercedes_english_2011.pdf

The W460 is no longer in production only W461 and W463. It is my understanding is that, the W461 is no longer available in the civilian  market only for military and forestry. So with your lottery wining there is only the W463 available to you.

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Drop me a PM with your email, i may have something but too big to post up

Gav

diesel_jim
diesel_jim's picture

Thanks all.  It was just the factory options list I was after, sort of thing you could fill out in a dealers and get added on the build line.

I suppose with my millions I'll eventually win on the lotto, I could get anything built on a 461 or 463 chassis!  (i suppose 463 is newer and "better"?)

Still a pipe dream anyway LOL!

fcp
fcp's picture

I suppose with my millions I'll eventually win on the lotto, I could get anything built on a 461 or 463 chassis!  (i suppose 463 is newer and "better"?)

Brilliant..  OK I'll start, others feel free to join in.

Ahem.. so If by 'newer and better' you mean 'more expensive to fix, unneccessarily more complicated and of worse build quality' then yes, its newer and better (much).

devil  Now where did I put that popcorn.

fcp
fcp's picture

re. the flip front - yes, exactly that.

I'd done a bit of fiberglass mould making in the past (just wet-lay) but have been casually looking at vacuum bagging techniques for carbon/ kevlar (aramid)  in the last couple of months and to be honest it doesn't look too bad.  

My interest is in access and space - loosing or remodeling the inner wings especially will make my 606 build easier to fit. A flip front will obviousy also be a much better arrangement for access too obviously.

At the moment though I am massively behind schedule just getting the engine built so this is a 'nice to have for next year.

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

"I fancy a rotating roof mounted gun turret, but despite Gav's legendary EPC skills, he still yet has to find the option for me :("

I have found the option and part numbers, i just didn't price it as i thought the budget had all gone on  your F1 version of the OM606LA ;~)

Besides if i divulge the info i then have to angrybroken heartcool

Ba Da BOOM surprise

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

You probably can't get  460 LRO Special Options

Chequer Plate Extreme Kit

Super rust rear crossmember

Right Tennis ball Elbow protector

Super Strong Left Leg for Clutch

Sorry only taking mick Diesel Jim, LR seem to have unlimited options....

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

Won't you need a 463's permanant 4wd to hold all this vast amount of 606 power down on the road?

fcp
fcp's picture

C'mon.. everyone knows that RWD is where the fun is :-)

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

Hope you have a spare rear axlesmiley

fcp
fcp's picture

Anecdotally people say the rear diff is a weak point, but no one can point me to the evidence.. I don't think MB povide a rating for it  unless you mean something else?

For the rest of the driveline, transfer box is rated to 800Nm, uprated front CVs and axels are available from RCV http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-details.aspx?sku=GWAGENFAS

2WD is much more entertaining to drive; in reality though with what we'll be doing with the 460 I'm building, it will be in 4WD most of the time (desert, loose surfaces)

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Here is one I did earlier, had it installed when I started venturing past Birmingham coolcheeky

Spider1V

IanA2
IanA2's picture

smileysmileysmileysmiley

diesel_jim
diesel_jim's picture

Thanks all for the light hearted banter smiley

Yeah, LR are fairly limited with the options, as said, unless you like chequer plate, HD suspension and a snorkel. OK, some stuff from LR SV dept; dual batteries and other niceties, but these seem really it, unless you pay silly money for a cherry picker. (OK, not saying that MB-G's are cheap either!)

As much as I like LR's (have a 90 & 110 here myself that I built), i just fancy something different, and the G seems to fit the bill.

Now, as much as I like to daydream about winning the lottery, it seems that people scorn the W463?  why is this (novice here, so serious answers if you please....), is the 461 much "better" (read: basic?)  I suppose it must be, seeing as the PUR edition and the military/worker versions are based on this chassis.

What is the differenc between the 461 and 463 chassis's then? the axles/suspension look similar (in the pictures/brochures I've downloaded), and they all seem to have the same electric difflock actuators (only the old 460's had the hydraulic ones, right?)

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

Please do not open that can of worms of 460 versus 463.

As far as I know chassis identical, except for 463 has a additional air reservoir in frnot crossmember to help brake servo in case of engine cutting out? Though some would say thats a complication!

G had to move forward to keep up with competition, both of them rust .

Think it is only the very latest 461 that has electric actauators, and the axle side is pure mechanical and way, only the electrics open the hydraulic valve.

461's over here fairly rare anyway.

IanA2
IanA2's picture

Compared to some MB's G's have very little rust.

diesel_jim
diesel_jim's picture

Please do not open that can of worms of 460 versus 463.

As far as I know chassis identical, except for 463 has a additional air reservoir in frnot crossmember to help brake servo in case of engine cutting out? Though some would say thats a complication!

G had to move forward to keep up with competition, both of them rust .

Think it is only the very latest 461 that has electric actauators, and the axle side is pure mechanical and way, only the electrics open the hydraulic valve.

461's over here fairly rare anyway.

Ah OK, interesting. some good info there, thanks.

I figure the 460 vs 463 is like Landrovers, the old 200Tdi vs the latest puma 2.2 ... everyone has their favourites.

phileas
phileas's picture

Jim,

your assessment of the LR situation is correct. Basically 463s are the more modern of the two, or one could definitely say more comfortable. They also tend to be more expensive to buy. If you're on a limited budget, I'd say you'd be far better off getting a decent 460, as opposed to an OK 463. Offroad they offer the same performance: only driving style will be slightly different (i.e. waiting for difflocks to come in a little later with electro-hydraulics as opposed to full manual). Hope that helps.

Ph

mainard
mainard's picture
these are oth great sites and are free.  most of the codes are defined for the ones that are not see the code decoder below: g's had LOADS of options

twiggster73
twiggster73's picture

HI do you still have the parts list you supplied before Gav? 

Thanks in advance