*New Member* 1982 280GE, 67,000 miles from new. needing slight resto and good service

7 replies [Last post]
simonmalster.wss
simonmalster.wss's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi Forum,
I am newbie here, looking forward to posting some queries for my new baby"Rupert"
Just picked it up last week down south in Swindon, travelled 235miles in a trip, and cleaned out the injectors slighlty, had 80mph for last 70miles, seems solid, just a couple of smaller rust patches on bodywork, needing to get a A1 restoration done though, who do you guys recommend for bodywork/paint?

I want to keep 'Rupert' as original as possible (Rupert - My Wives name for him, as check cloth interior is the same as Rupert bears trousers!) as this was a one owner car for last 29yrs...and 2nd for 6months...

Some items.
New rubber headlamp surrounds without the screw holes for the headlamp protection grille
Heater front dash cover (only holes are there, as it has obviously been replaced earlier in its life.
New exhaust - prefer stainless one to last me out! 

Just start of list...

Also do you know if later rear discs work instead of adjustable drums, as so far brakes seem very....very spongy! is this normal...

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: *New Member* 1982 280GE, 67,000 miles from new. needing ...

Hello simonmalster.wss,

Welcome to the GWOA and the forum.  I think it is about time we, as club had an initiation of sorts, wonder what deeds the members would suggest?  Washing your new "G" in the nude or for modisty, the x-rated parts covered in clover leaf, or stingy nettles - Ouch!;  no, let's not go there.  Welcome, any way.

You have not mentioned what part of the country you are from, it may help some one close to your area with a good and trusted body shop suggestion.

The spongy brakes suggest the rear brake shoes need to be re-adjusted.  To do this job and get a good a result from it.  My suggestion is to to slacken the handbrake cables firstly.  Then adjust the rear brake shoes, re-adjusting the hand brake cables back up again.  That's the basic principle, but if you want an actual account, PM and indicate to me and I will draft out the method in detail for you. You will need to indicate if yours is a SWB or LWB.

Enjoy Rupert,

simonmalster.wss

Hi Rakesh

Just found out through another member it might not all be roses ahead for Rupert! 
I will try adjusting the drums as I know it has a new LH caliper fitted at front end.... maybe just needs bleeding?

I am in East Yorkshire, and it is a LWB 460.

Need to get K jetronic sorted out as well as new exhaust.... the list may well go on and on! 

Anyone got a picture of the heater dash panel from a 1981/2 LWB so I can see what is missing off mine?

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the Forum and the GWOA. Congrats on the new car - Rupert - and good luck with the restoration. At the risk of causing a big bun fight, you may consider taking some pictures and then posting them up, I am sure htere are members on here that will be able to tell you instantly what will /will not need cosmetic changing.

All the best and once again welcome.

Spider1V

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Hello simonmalster.wss,

What is the matter with K-Jetronic system?

I am including a link to a picture of the center console for you to compare yours with, but the picture is from a LHD model.

Should you have problems with bleeding the brake system PM me your email address, the reason being the attachments I need to send you can not be done on email and PM's on the GWOA site, or I do not know how to. The information is relevant to the setting of the brake governor valve. Note: if there is air in your system, the first foot brake application will have a softer and longer traveling pedal, in the second application, the pedal become firmer and the distance traveled by the pedal is comparatively shorter; if you are not experiencing this, then you do not necessarily need to bleed, but it would do any harm.

http://www.autoevolution.com/image/mercedes-benz-g-klasse-w460w461-1979/15442.html#image

Cheers,

dentsmithy
dentsmithy's picture

Hi Simon, welcome to the fun.

My advice would be not to listen to the doomsayers just yet, take your time and get to know the car and gather a few oppinions.

The best book by far for understanding the Injection system is
http://www.amazon.co.uk/tuning-bosch-k-jetronic/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atuning%20bosch%20k%20jetronic&page=1

Cheers

simonmalster.wss

Thanks to all for the welcome comments.

I have been approached by another member fixwin38, Peter Newman, He is going to take the car to his home in Ireland to carry out resto, I will post pics once done (simply do not have the time)
He went to look at the car I bought prior to me, and has told me the issues surrounding the car.

Has anyone else used his garage for resto's? So far only had great response, but just asking in the forum>>

fredecosse
fredecosse's picture

Hi and welcome to the gwoa forum,

Fixwin has been around for a long time and is never far from new member turning up .... The king of Pm !!! A really good source of advices though .... 

Main advice is to take your time before sending your car to anyone, get a feel of the person you are about to work with and ask advice and feedback on the forum, lots of peoples out there to help.

For sure a respray job can be done by any good paint shop !!! 

Parts are widely available on the net also at merc dealer, surprisingly sometime cheaper than the web !!!! 

Do not rush on the job .....

Cheers

Fred

check this one too: http://www.needamerc.com/