My new w463 diesel

17 replies [Last post]
montreal
montreal's picture

Just back from Poland with a 1994 w463. It was originally a 350TD and now has a nice 300 diesel from a LHD w124. The engines a 603 turbo and super sweet. Its left hand drive but this has never been an issue for me to drive.

I drove all the way (after a problem that kept me there overnight) the drive was really sweet. Sounds great and is really quiet at 80-85mph. No mpg calculated yet but I was gunning it. Sorry Belgium and France 

It has a few minor things to sort out. Can anyone tell me where I can get: owners manual, service manual.

Also I believe it will need RHD headlights, a speedo in MPH. (stopped working en-route anyway!). Should I get standard lights or upgraded HID etc? Anyone done this?

I'd like someone with a standard car to measure height of wheel arches please. The cars on new springs but I think it's a bit too high and might cut springs down a bit

Also there is a bad leak into the passenger footwell. Seems to come from above the fuse box. I'm think sunroof drain tubes (if it had them) or wiper spindle. Its a lot of water. Is there a heater hose running through there?

What temperature should it run at , at high speed or pulling hard uphill? What oil should I use in the engine?

Picture is in the funniest garage ever . 3 cars break down in same place, 3 cars recovered to same garage, 3 cars fixed, 3 cars came back same day, 3 cars stuck in Poland.

Login or register to view attached files
axel
axel's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: My new w463 diesel

ride height looks ok -give the new springs a chance to settle thye will come down a bit in time. truck looks good the 603a 3 litre is a sweet engine  it used to be a good way to get a good 463 td by buying a 350 with a bent engine and do a swap you have done well to find this one - might be a good idea to get gav to do a check using the merc system with the chassis number.

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

Water ingress, could be bad windcreen seal, or rust beneath.

You may be able to see when lifting seal?

Hard to beleave spindles would let that much through.

axel
axel's picture

water could be coming from a rotted through battery tray ,recently had to do a horrendously rotted 463 tray and bulkhead caused by leaking acid , it had gone all over the fuses and relays  i had to cut the whole lot out and start again 

really inspect all of it /wiper spindles can flood the car (you'd better believe it) screen seal etc check it all get someone to blast the front of the vehicle  with  a pressure washer while you hunt for the leak with a torch.

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Get the water leak sorted ASAP, lots of electrics under there on a 463, ABS Control Unit is £2k on its own and fixed to the inside of the Bulkhead!!!

Glad you got back safely in the end....what wad the service like in the Polish Garage?

Did they get hold of MB parts or was it an aftermarket job?

Gav

montreal
montreal's picture

Ta, I'll have a check of seals but I dont think there is any rust. The body work is very very good. Yes lucky to find a converted one. Worth the nightmare-so far so good. Time will tell. Yes Gav really helped me as i did alot of pre-flight checks and found out it was what it is if that makes sense. Had a choice of wheels offered so i took these G500 18 inchers with Continental tyres for a little bit more.

I lloked at the spindles on my other G which had been 'done' the outer washers and nuts seem preety standard. Is it actually the metal spindle that wears out? Should it move when rocked in its hole when all tightened up?

D

montreal
montreal's picture

Yes. it looks like a straight swap I think. I know that the sump was changed to the 350 original as it's baffled or something for a G to stop oil surge on steep slopes. Air intake swapped as I think a G is different layout compared to a car. Alternator is the same (cheers Gav). This engine in a LHD saloon or estate must fly. I'm told that the 3litre a faster car/more powerful than the unloved/poor 350TD. Pretty good compromise if you don't mind LHD and cant spend out on a nice 606 I think.

I dare you to find another in a hurry!

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi

there is a SWB Black one with grey leather and automatic

that was a 350 now with same 300TD engine ( conversion done in Germany )  have some pics if anyone intersted

LHD of course

for sale at £13.500

montreal
montreal's picture

My car does not have headlight wash system. Is it usual or was it an option to not have it? I've seen a few without it. Easy to add jets and hoses using Merc parts???££

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

Re Spindles, with wipers in the raided position( off glass) you should get/feel play if spindles gone, should be fairly obvious.

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

I don't think its that great, uses a big washer pump motor, covers headlight with spray ok , but I don't notice much improvement in light, much better to upgrade to the later 463 headlight, which you could order in RHD.

montreal
montreal's picture

So can anyone give me RHD options that will fit my car please?

How much please? I'd like to have originals so the lamp levelling still works. It does seem to move slowly.

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

You have mail

A463 820 01 59 are the RHD headlamp options from the pre Xenon late 463

£82 each + vat

Gav

montreal
montreal's picture

I'm going to need a speedo in MPH I think. The KMH stopped working. Can anyone tell me the number printed on their speedo on a 300 diesel from around 1994-1996 please. I can then have a look at some breakers for one.

D

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi Is you speedo head mechanical or electronic??

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

My Speedo has 463 at the beginning , mechanical tho,tho mine 1991, do you mean the odometer stoped working?( Mile/km counter) I had mine repaired by Speedograph Richfield about £100, a lot cheaper than a new unit

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

And you have high ratio diffs? coming from a 350 giving nice relaxed top gear?

montreal
montreal's picture

**Leak fixed** Now any mph fully electronic speedos out there. Anyone??