My flares just aren't cool anymore - fitting wheel arch liners to a 460

12 replies [Last post]
fcp
fcp's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

So I ordeded a set of rear arch liners, specifying the versions that are for extended arches and don't fit (or rather they don't fit/ match up around the flares) - see photos. Part numbers I ordered were:

A4638840422 = Rear left
A4638840522 = Rear right

I could probably trim off the flare extension bit and the would then, I think, fit perfectly into the arches.  The alternative is to ditch them (any takers) and buy the non flare version which I assume would achieve the same thing without mucking around trimming.

Question is why the don't fit though - the arches dimensions between the 463 and 460 haven't changed have they (I know the mounting points aren't there), or have I got non standard arches fitted (done before I acquired the vehicle - they are fibreglass by the way).

Login or register to view attached files
fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
Re: My flares just aren't cool anymore - fitting wheel arch ...

Hi
the 460 series never had MB crafted inner liners and the 463 outer arch has a totally different profile to interface with  the 463 inner liners...your fibreglass ones are not MB manufacture ..you may have the original non arches bumper end caps which do not interface with the fibrebglass arches that you have at present..I seem to recall that the the fuel tank filler and the  80mm tube outriggers on the 460 meant that some cutting had to done to make 463 liners fit.. more so on the 280ge with pannier tanks

fcp
fcp's picture

I suspect they are Orc arches (as the spings and Bilsteins were from Orc).. so one option is to change them back to 463 arches..

Would the non flare version ofhte liner have fitted correctly?

Otherwise I'll just trim to fit I think.   Are MB still doing rubber or ABS arches for the 463 - FG is a PITA as it cracks so easily

hus55
hus55's picture

fixwin has explained the whole story...

your arches are oe of the era.they are the same as the arches on our first G back in 1982.

you would have got away with a better fit if you had the late style 460 arches which are much more similar to 463 arches [narrower that is]

i am fitting liners to my 79G in the near future. [my 79G has 89 model arches]

rgds hus

fcp
fcp's picture

I'll trim the flare extension from the liners then I think.. they should otherwise fit perfectly I think.

hus55
hus55's picture

right move !

please share pics of the progress and end result.

rgds hus

mgrays
mgrays's picture

I have a set of non flared liners here .. ordered by mistake... make me an offer!

I fitted a flared set ; had to cut the rear wheel arch top out as my flares were retro fitted MB (1988 body) so no one had cut the bodywork. They do leave a gap to the flare but this is normal good practice as then the water washes the mud out but the gap is too small to allow the mud to pack in.

I bought the 463 steelwork and plastic plugs but as you can see from the photos only 1 bit if steelwork was right to use the flare bolts to hold the liners.

mgrays
mgrays's picture

Ah just signed in to see your photos... you need to cut the rear top of the bodywork to fit the liners at the rear .. I know it hurts! (I spent 2 years before that rebuilding/respraying so cutting was not to be taken lightly). Hence the black line on my bodywork inn the photo .. I cut this out. If you look at EPC you can see the cut out tops on the flared bodyshells.

fcp
fcp's picture

Hello mrgray,

So if I understand what you (and what Hus55) have said - if I fit the non flared liners - accepting the fact that the flares won't be lined at all, then no cutting of the bodywork is required?

mgrays
mgrays's picture

Yes. It is only at the back that you need to cut the bodywork. Front will take the flared liners without cutting.

Want some back liners for non flared body then ;-)

fcp
fcp's picture

Yup, PM inbound momentarily :-)

Howard Green
Howard Green's picture

Sorry to throw a spanner in here guys ,but ive fitted all four liners to my 461 truck without any problems. I have the flared arches and used the 463 flared liners. Note I have also fitted the rear liners to my old 460 again no problem.

The backs fit like a glove all round with the outer lip of the inner arch fitting snug against the inner lip of the extended arch.

The fronts were more of a problem as the front fixings are straight into the wing and not supported by the small Z type brackets. I overcame this by using rivetnuts. The near side arch fits well but the tail of the off side arch pushes out due to the shape of the inner wing. But once trimmed fine. I have fitted a set to my 461 van with the wider 1555mm Panzer axles. The arch is approx 30mm short. 

I was considering looking at the AMG 55 inner aches, as I believe it has the wider axle and therefore wider  liners.

Will try and post some pictures tomorrow

cox.adrian
cox.adrian's picture

i got my self a set of  i gave them away as they were never going to fit
           my 460 nicely