Mercedes 300GE Heater Fan replacement.

7 replies [Last post]
simont5
simont5's picture

Hi, I have a 1994 300 GE on which the heater fan has burnt out. I want to replace the whole unit, just for peace of mind thats I know its been done rather than replace the burnt out component. Can anyone help me how to do this. Do I take the dash, centre console, steering wheel all out ? Can I get to it under the dashboard or is there any way through the engine bay. Have yet to really explore myself, just needed a starting point please. I know its not the easiest job, but have worked on far more complicated cars than this so happy to undertake the work myself. Also is the part a 124 series part or particular to the G wagen. My car does not have a/c. Any pointers would be really appreciated. Many thanks Simon

bowser107
bowser107's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: Mercedes 300GE Heater Fan replacement.

Hi, my heater blower stopped working over the weekend, I changed  the fuse but it  blew again straight away once changed. Before going too far with things I tried turning the fan manually through the intake, it turned ok so then tried spraying in some WD40 through the hole via the straw. It worked and blower came back to life.
May be I was lucky but worth a try. Good luck

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

Hi,
Does your 300 GE have Air Con? This will make it worse if equipped?
I think there are a few different types of heater, Gav is fountain of knowledge here, if you remove radio, if lucky you mite be able to see the BEHR sticker attached to your heater unit with a part number on it, before you fo further you could check avalibilty prices etc.
But helps to remove seats, though not essential,
Centre console, and the piece under that,
Steering Wheel, instrument panel, dash, centre panel ( take loads of photos here) side panels, sort of becomes obvious, though a lot of self tappers!
Heater flap( under bonnet) this gives you acess to to two screws, two below heater box as well  that hold the top of the heater in.
Its a  lot of work I couldn't work out how to take the lower half of the heater out so replaced resistor in situ.
Dont think a 124 any use part wise? Not heard of a motor burning out completely, you might be lucky and have the external resistor pack?
Its a lot of work, but who wants a cold car!

derekfinn
derekfinn's picture

Hi Simon

I took on this job on my 91 G300D 463 just before christmas. To get to heater blower motor - dash does need to be removed. A couple of things to check first though;

1. You can reach down through the air intake with your hand and check that the fan is free to spin. This intake can get full of crud and block vanes of the fan. Its a tight squeeze but i reached mine. Make sure fan is free to spin.

2. Remove the center consul and check that there is power at the switch with multi meter. If no power - switch gone.

3. Under bonnet in engine bay, there is a resistor located near the battery under a plastic cover. Check again power in and out. I found my resistor to be corroded and no power out. I replaced and fan motor back working.

In summary - check everything else first. Its not technically a big job to replace blower motor but it is time consuming and will drive you nuts taking the dash apart. If you decide to remove - label everything you disconnect.

Good luck.

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

I hope its just a switch failure, I beleive three different types of resistor,
1 mounted exteranally,
2 , On the heater casing, just near the back of the radio,
3 The worst , internal! Meaning the most labour intensive

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi

Jason is right, lots of types of Resistor fitted

Two types of motor also

Chassis number would help but as he states, number off the sticker on the heater case may be required

Some of the Engine Bay mounted resistors are the same as some 124 types

The motors are G specific

Gav

simont5
simont5's picture

Hi,
Thank you to everyone for the advice, getting to the fan itself was fairly straight forward.
The number on it is 92 252 12 117.
Does this mean anything to anyone?

Many thanks
Simon

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Does not come up with anything although a rough guess would be that 92 is the manufacture year if its the original fan

If you can PM me your chassis number the fan should be straight forward really

Early single big "hamster wheel"

late twin small "hamster wheel"

Are you sure its the motor that dead? Have you put some power to it to see?

Gav