Merc 280ge Starts the Won't Start (think its fuel pump related)

23 replies [Last post]
Gibson
Gibson's picture

Hi,

Me SWB Mercedes 280ge as an issue where one minute it will start and run fine then park it up and say start it again and its turning the engine but won't start. I noticed that when it starts the fuel pump makes that short 'VVVVV" noise then starts. When it does'nt start it makes no noise.

Can anyone tell me a suggestion this might be please?

Many thanks

Joe

Gibson
Gibson's picture
Re: Merc 280ge Starts the Won't Start (think its fuel pump ...

Also on a random note I took of the right side panel around the steering column (above fuses) and there was a sort of silver circle tube about 2 inches long with a bulb on the end just hanging there. Can anyone tell me what that is please?

Many thanks

Joe

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

REPLY TO THRED No: 1

Joe, a photo would be of help.

If you are reffering to the the light (usually green) at the bottom-right corner of the instrument panel, that is the central locking pilot light; otherwise, it is an additional light someone may have added for long range lamps or an indicator to some auxilliary unit but it does not sound like a standard attachment.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

REPLY TO THE LEAD THREAD

Fuel pump whirrs when it starts and does not when it does not start indicates the fuel pump relay.  

Gibson
Gibson's picture

Hi,

Thanks alot for the reply :) Your always helpful!!!!

How would i go about finding this fuel pump relay. I have got the panel off above the fuses and see wires and black boxes but not sure what I am really looking for tbh.

As for the light. The light isn't attached to anything it is just hanging behind the panel above the fuses and can't see where it goes. I shall get a photo tomorrow and post it to help :)

Many thanks

Joe

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi Joe

If you can post or PM me the chassis number i can tell you the part number for the Fuel Pump Relay

It is quite easy to find and you are in the right area.

Depending on type i also have a spare one kicking around that i can send you to try

It is also possibly to simply bridge 2 wires out with the relay removed and temporarely bypass it to elimanate it etc.

Pins 30 and 87 from memory, they are marked on the relay, just make sure you get it the right way around, there is a locating tab / pin so the relay will only go in one way, make sure you use this as the reference to bridge the pins with the relay removed, if the relay is faulty, with the bridge in place the fuel pumps should power up every time you switch on the ignition, just dont run it for long at a time with the relay removed.

Part number should be something like A001 545 07 05 and is a small/medium black relay around 1"x1" square x2" tall

If not it will be the one with 6 cyl or 6 zyl on it.

Are you sure the silver thing hanging down with a bulb on is not the Overload Protection Relay? (A201 540 08 45)  These are usually long thin and silver but have a fuse (10AMP i think) in the top with a flip top plastic lid, these lids can be missing.

It would be a good idea to check this fuse also as it can have an impact on the Fuel Relay

When it is doing the fault does it have any other issues, are there any other issues with the truck normally?

The only other silver thing with a bulb that i think could feasably be hanging down there is if the Headlamp Switch is hanging lose? Is the car roadworthy or in a semi stripped state?

Cheers

Gav

Gibson
Gibson's picture

Hi!!

Thanks alot for the reply that was really helpful :) I shall get the chassis number ASAP and see if i can find the relay :)

As for the silver thing. Im pretty sure it looks like a bulb in the end. Its also made of metal. I tried turning the lights on to see if it lit up but nothing happened. The car is roadworthy and was running great up until about a month ago and got in it last week to find it wouldn't start.

Many thanks

Joe

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

REPLY TO THREAD No: 4

From the steering wheel, immediately to the right is a small cover panel, remove this and the fuel pump relay can be felt attached to the dash panel just below the cover level. Touch the rectangular relay and turn ignition on; if your relay works. you will feel the vibrations on the relay body confirming the relay position.

Gibson
Gibson's picture

Hi,

I have found it i think is there anything I should be carefull of at all?\

I have wiggeled it and its starting everytime now lol

Many Thanks
Joe

Gibson
Gibson's picture

Here is that silver thing I was talking about :)

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Could be just loose or dirty contacts, remove from socket and refitit the unit. Before fitting just look at the colour of the terminals, are these darker in colour comapered to the others, smell the unit if you have an electrical burning odour it is likely the unit will pack up at some point. Have a spare handy in case, they are not cheap.

I think I have seen the silver sleeve before, can't quite remember where it lives. Do you have central locking and if so, does the green light work indicating central locking is active or not? If so, I feel it is the socket that should go behind the green indicator. I could be wrong.

Gibson
Gibson's picture

Hey!

Thanks alot for the reply!

I shall do as you say and check everything :) as for the central locking. I have central locking but have never noticed a green light anywhere. I shall have a look around and see if I can find it!

Cheers
Joe

IanA2
IanA2's picture

If it's the fuel pump relay, Part No 0035450005 I can let you have one.

Cheers.

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

I have to confess, it looks like that man Rakesh was right again...

It certainly looks like the Central Locking Visual Operation Indicator that fits in the Right hand edge of the dash board.

Flashes when Central Locking is activated....

It appears like it is missing its top screw in coloured cover that you see on the front of the dash, the part you have goes up behind the dash

Gav

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi Joe

Any news...?

Did you resolve both issues?

Nice to know if you need more help....

Gav

Gibson
Gibson's picture

Hi!

Sorry been very busy! I finally got the relay out after looking around at wires etc I didn't realise the Relay was just pull out lol felt like a right idiot!

I have looked at the back of the relay and found 2 soldier lumps that look to have been burnt / black bubbles. It also smells burt aswell.

I'm pretty sure this is the issue now as I held the relay when i turned the key. When you felt it click it started fine when it didn't click it didn't start.

So I need to either fix this relay or source a new one that isn't a stupid price. Does anyone have any ideas please?

As for the Central locking light I still can't find where this goes there seems to be no hole for it or anything wondering if someone replaced one of the dash plates or something.

Many thanks

Joe

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi Joe

PM or post your chassis number or the part number off the relay and i will see what i can do

Gav

Gibson
Gibson's picture

Hi Gav!

The part number is: 001 545 0705

I have also taken the relay out and resoldered the burnt bits and so far the car starts every time but I'd ideally like to get a replacement for the future if its not crazy price!

Thanks alot

joe

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi Joe

Is £149 + vat crazy enough for you?

MB Germany have 1 only in stock...

They do also fit some 107-123-126 series 280's aswell

They fit most of the 280GE's apart from the first year or so of production, so say 1981 up to 1990 in the UK.

You also have a PM

Gav

Alan Holford-Walker
Alan Holford-Walker's picture

Hmm - my 460 280GE will not start either (it used to be bullet proof).  she been standing for over a year.  Starts with fuel poured direct into the air intake!  The pump has lost its cover and is caked solid in very dry hard mud.  I guess hitting it with a hammer when turning the ignition might get it going!  &  No I cannot hear it whirring so I reckon it is not the relay at fault.

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Could still be the relay as this feeds the pump...

Could also be the fuel pump internals gummed up with fuel, this new unleaded does not like to be stored, 6-12 months and it is usually going off, fresh fuel in  the tank will sometimes disolve it.

You can bridge the fuel pump relay out as above to see if the pump runs....

The hammer trick,may work also but just be careful...the pipes around will be fragile and the pump itself sometimes corrode away...make them delicate taps...

Gav

Alan Holford-Walker

I will be gentle - and try the relay bridge for that matter.  Thank you Gav.

prwales
prwales's picture

fuel pumps can corrode from the o/s too, particularly so with the last couple of winters with heavily salted roads, inspect it via the access hole in the rear floor

Alan Holford-Walker

if I took a photo you would have heart failure... it is amazing that it has ever worked recently!  No cover over it.  Rear floor - good point access.