Jatiluhur Dam, West Java, March 2012

16 replies [Last post]
shochu
shochu's picture

We went for another short day trip to play in the Jatiluhur area last saturday
This time, just 5 vehicles. As usual, the G was the least 'offroady' of the bunch
The others were on 32-35" simex extreme trekker to 38.5" TSL bogger. All with the almost compulsory winch, some with air lockers

Starting out there was not even any tire tracks through the woods for half an hour. The guide was just pointing at trees (in the woods, imagine that)
Managed to get out of the woods minutes after it got dark, which was a relief, had it been the usual group of around 10 cars, for sure we wouldn't have been able to make it out until midnight

Unfortunately, the last 300meters or so of the track were so heavy that I opted to take the short-cut out.
There's absolutely no point of destroying the G on purpose, and make life a whole lot more difficult for the rest of the group.
Short cut took me about 5 minutes, I parked the G and walked back-track to the last 100 or so meters to meet the other guys.
It took the other 4 vehicles slightly more than an hour to get out.

Definitely the toughest trip I've been on.
Enough talking, time for some pics. The regular 'photographer' was unable to join us for the trip, so, some amateur point & shoot and mobile phone pics will be it. I hope they're still good enough for everyone to enjoy.

How deep was the mud?
Even 35" TSL boggers with air lockers rear & front got stuck

The clay-mud was so sticky that Madonna's bra moved to my rim :)

the final 100 or so meters
1st came the ravine, even lifted FJ/BJ on 35" boggers still raked the mud with both front & rear bumpers
the lifted suzuki on 32" simex extreme trekker had to winch, going down into the ravine :)

after the rear bumper clears, came the thigh deep mud ruts
only the lifted FJ on 38.5" boggers had enough axle clearance to get through without too much fuss, still winched btw

hero of the day?
this one.. Gigglepin-kitted Warn 8274 with dual XP motors

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: Jatiluhur Dam, West Java, March 2012

Clay is the worst, no matter what tyres you have, and the giggle pin winches are great 

Brutus
Brutus's picture

Well done Shocu, o yes gigglepin all the way

Audiominx
Audiominx's picture

A candidate for the most extreme off-roader on the site, I reckon?

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Definitely, dedicated off roaders.  By the way, is a Jigglepin a trade description or a particular type of winch with any special characteristic? 

Cheers,

shochu
shochu's picture

gigglepin 4x4 is a brand, also sells their own winch (quite expensive)
for those with warn 8274, they also sell different parts to upgrade your winch (not cheap)
the upgrades alone cost a lot more than the standard 8274 itself.

their trademark is the use of two motors.
top housing is for the gears (from the 2 winch motors, either bow or warn XP), to 1 gear which goes to the main shaft (can also be upgraded to beefier one). change the solenoids to albright, upsize the spool drum to hold thicker and/or longer ropes, gear ratio upgrade, thicker sideplates. i'm not very familiar with winches, but if i'm correct, by the time you are done with all your upgrades, the only parts left from a 8274 still used is the lower housing :)

very costly, but very effective. powerful, and fast.. unbelievable stuff
if money is not an object, they are definitely the ONLY way to go..

shochu
shochu's picture

i think so too.. 
which is why winches play a very important role in your vehicle in this kind of situation
it's about the only thing that can help you get out

well, i have a friend who thinks tire-chain helps
i still have yet to see anyone carrying a set of those around
i thought of 'maxtrax', not too sure if they're popular or even available in your part of the globe, but thought they will be better suited to soft sand rather than this kind of mud. i wonder if the bottom part/teeth will actually grip the mud?

speaking of winches, i still have a long way to go in saving my pennies for one  :(

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

You avin a tin bath, I'm the most extreme off roader here, and don't forget it! Right ? 

phileas
phileas's picture

Impressive stuff Sochu and thanks for sharing...makes our fens look a 'civilised'........ph

Audiominx
Audiominx's picture

Don't come over all bolshie with me. Driving through puddles doesn't count!!!!

shochu
shochu's picture

i thought he was referring to the gigglepin as the candidate for the extreme offroader's use  :)

shochu
shochu's picture

you're more than welcome sir..

hus55
hus55's picture

shochu you are wise not entering and damaging the G and its pride ! it seems you must also go 35 my friend. i am suprised you havent done so already. [i am on the look out now for 37's infact 38's. ] I AM SURE YOU WOULD HAVE MADE IT THROUGHT THEN.

thanks for the great pics mr extreme gwoa off roader !!

btw, i agree with the gigglepin......if i knew what you was on about pp !!

shochu
shochu's picture

you're welcome huss..

while i have to drive the G as my daily-drive (it is my ONLY car), all the other guys have the luxury of treating their rides purely as their 'offroad toys'
so no contest there

i have enough problems with parking structure height limit as it is now
my G is on 18" HT with the spare tire cover everyday
changing into 31" x 15" MT and taking off the spare tire cover only for the monthly trips
i wish taking off the foot-step is an easy one-person 30-minute job

which is also the reason i still haven't got the heart to cut the front bumper to fit a winch
i need it to look tidy & 'presentable' for my everyday use  :)

the best slution is of course to have another G as my play toy
but that'll have to wait for a long while until the economy and turns around in my favor
Gwagens are expensive here, even old ones, and i really don't want to be in other vehicles

hus55
hus55's picture

i guess you have a point

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Shochu,

Shochu,

First - fantastic pictures. Your so lucky to be able to 'pop' out to the countryside and do some off roading. Here in the UK we a VERY limited as to where we can go, because of the 'ramblers' who have now almost successfully closed every off road area.

Second - I fully understand the frustration of not being able to 'trigg' up ones G, when it is used as an every day working car in the towns /city, one has to project a professional, unique, not following the heard, mentality,

Third - You get my vote for 'extreme' off roader. Why? Because you take out and off road an ‘out of the box’ G! Mr. Perfect….:)

Spider1V

shochu
shochu's picture

:)

thank you sir..
april trip's pics just uploaded.
enjoy..