How much more would you expect to pay for a 280 petrol 460 over a 300 Diesel 460 LWB in similar condition ?

7 replies [Last post]
trevormac
trevormac's picture

I'm considering changing from Diesel to Petrol but there seems to be about a £2000 difference in price (petrol more expensive)  in the ones I see (when I ever see one at all). Does that sound about right to an experienced G buyer ? (the diesel is my first) or should they be similar prices if condition is the same ? Thanks for any advice.

prwales
prwales's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: How much more would you expect to pay for a 280 petrol ...

you ought not be paying a premium at all, the 280ge is hideously thirsty and a difficult vehicle to sell. The taxi engined version will use virtually any heavy fuel oil that exists, running happily on fuel oil, vegetable oil, chip fat or diesel so potentially much much cheaper to run. The answer should be the reverse, if you are looking to exchange expect the 280 seller to stuff your pockets with gold.

easydeluxe
easydeluxe's picture

+1
give me that om617 every time

The Bear
The Bear's picture

+ 2 for the 617 my 280 drank petrol like it was going out of fashion

trevormac
trevormac's picture

Hmm not feeling much love in the room for the 280 petrol. Fuel consumption aside does it drive much better than the 300GD ? Had some good tips from another member on getting the most out of the Diesel engine - perhaps that's the way to go ?

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi
tuned and running properly ( CIS K' Jetronic mechanical fuel injection) is great when it is right but a "PIG "to set up correctly..expect 10/12mpg around town 14/18 mpg on a run "18mpg at 61 mph constant.....  much more "sparkling" performance than the diesel which is very sluggish as you are aware... still not like it performs in the 280 SL

prwales
prwales's picture

very true the ge280 has a delightful engine and if it were money no object my choice. The 5 cylinder diesel is a bit of horror its only real merit is that its indestructable, otherwise its rough, weedy and not particularly economical. You are better off buying a 463.

trevormac
trevormac's picture

Thanks all for your advice.