Head Lights 463

2 replies [Last post]
Spider1V
Spider1V's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Have a G500 463

I have just upgraded the headlights bulbs to the new Extra Bright Xenons' that halfords are now offering, and must say was very impressed with my new lights, much brighter than the last lot I had. Expensive compared to the old ones, however Halfords are doing the buy one get one free (£19.99).

While changing them I also noticed that the wires have become rather corroded and this is now leading to the offside light starting off dim, then while driving it comes back on!. Taking the light out - no mean feat when you have a brush guard/bull bar  - it seems to be the brown wire (earth?) that is causing the problems  and yesterday I spent time finding out where the problem was and thought I had fixed it. 

When one takes out the light, the back is made up of; A plastic block where the wires come into, removing that, to get to the rubber cap and then changing the light bulb. On closer inspection I see that the plastic block that the wires go into is looking a tad 'tired'. I would appreciate some pointers on where I could get one of the 'blocks' and how to remove the wires with out damaging them to put them back on a new block.

Many thanks

Spider1V

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: Head Lights 463

The spade connectors that are inserted into the plug socket has a tag that needs folding flush in order to remove the connector.

From the wired side of the connector, take a thin flat bladed screw driver s/driver; looking square into the connector, push the s/driver in between the socket's wall and the flat side of the connector.  By the pushing in action you would have folded down flush a tiny tag on the connector, once flatten, you can withdraw the connector from the socket.

To refit, push out the tag on the connector, then push the connector back into the socket and this should lock in.

Cheers,

gooch
gooch's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: Head Lights 463

TopGear top Tip- If your gonna treat you G-wagen like a Banana boat - get the car wrapped in Yellow!

Only kiddin mate.

P.s. Dry paintbrush, electric contact spray, clean the wire connecters, small ammount of sand-paper rub the metal flat pins and it should do the job!