Got the G what about a lhd e420?

8 replies [Last post]
les
les's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Eighteen months into to my first G wagon (1991 300GES  and loving it) and now looking to replace my 2001 LHD Disco (been no problem!) for my French house. I have seen an 1996 E 420 advertised in Kent ( I live in Lincolnshire) and wondered if any member knows if these were a well built Merc? good /bad engine etc. Anyone with personal knowlege please add any relevent points as the internet forums are mainly US based for this particular car. Thanks.

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture
Re: Got the G what about a lhd e420?

Generally OK cars - but I am sure that this particuar model suffered with terrible rust problems

Good luck in your search though

Spider1V

IanA2
IanA2's picture

Are you looking at 126's or 124's, I'm not clear. Iirc 124's of that age were not too  bad, but 126's tend to have specific rust spots. Check out MBclub.com

hth Ian

G Singh
G Singh's picture

All early w210 models suffered from rust around the arches and tailgate lock area, mechanically the engine and tranny are strong, however the trans can be a weakpoint as they were the early 722.6 5 speed auto's which had a few internal gear ttrain  issues. Are you looking at a 4 matic model or just a real wheel drive version? 

stevo
stevo's picture

Hi , E420 W210 models were never  good sellers in this country , be very careful with the W210 medel as is was very prone to rust big tme bottom of doors , wheel arches , and the worst place of all the suspension panels on the inner wings that hold the struts they can collapse with rust and then cost a fortune to repair ! A far better buy is a W124 E280 or E320 , a great car and far better quality build , these were over engineered where as the W210 models were built by accountants and the quality build was crap ! 

les
les's picture

Thanks for the replies to date.
Please have a look at e bay item no.160946721190. It looks VERY good but I hear what you are saying.
I require a reliable car that will only do a few thousand miles a year with a trip home (from the south of France) for the winter for serviceing.
What I do not need is a troublesome vehicle as repairs and problems whilst on holiday are expensive and difficult. I have checked the price of this car against a german car site and it seems to be about right, am I just getting carried away with the thought of another old Merc? should I just stay with my trusty Disco?.
If an old Merc is sensible? then remember I need a LHD english registered car, and I don't want to pay more than about £5000. I am happy to have a big engined car and I know of an early S600, but I am told they were very unreliable and expensive to keep.
Any more help especially regarding the car on e bay would be appreciated.
Thanks Les.

stevo
stevo's picture

Les , dont touch a S600 V12 unless you want to get fingers burnt ! they may have been £100k new but the older they get the more things go wrong , they suffer with electric problems and have sensors controling sensors , the wiring looms under the bonnet suffer with cracking with age and heat generated under the bonnet . If you are going to buy a Sclass buy either a S320 6 cylinder or maybe a S500 V8 but be very careful with electrical problems then finding a good mechanic to sort it out may cause a problem without it costing you a fortune in repairs . Big engine cars are good value for money if they dont go wrong ! cheers

IanA2
IanA2's picture

Doh!....I read it as you looking at 1991 cars. Idiot! Sorry.

prwales
prwales's picture

The w210's weren't particularly strong either and were strengthened half way through their run, pre facelift w124s rust less than the facelifted cars and they don't have the crumbly engine loom issues either, buy with care. An Audi of similar age will give you less trouble as they were galvanised [1986 on]