ge500

11 replies [Last post]
prwales
prwales's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

lhd 1993, proper early V8

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Benz-500GE-LIMITED-EDITION-500-Made-G...

a one owned by Constantine the last "German" King of Greece was up for sale a few years back but it did not reach the asking price of this one. Still nice though just a tad pricey.

hus55
hus55's picture
Re: ge500

lovely G500 in bornite metallic.

an asian gwoa member brough one a few years back for a bargain .

but i think it cost him his maariage !!!!!!!

M2dxb
M2dxb's picture

Is it in Bornite? I thought all 500GEs had this purple-black "variocolour" which changes depending on how the light falls on it..this ad says amethyst blue:
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3347864.htm

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

it did, the trim on the side had an inlay in it, the seats also had the purple inset, the wheels too, not to be mistaken with the later 20th anniversary one.  there were a few 500 made prior to the 20th anniversary one which only had centre and rear diff lock, and the lower BHP engine,which this seems to have, there was a guy in scotland that had one for ages, couldnt sell it, for what he wanted for it, not sure what happen to it.

Luky
Luky's picture

I think it is the same car, which was offered on mobile for 14.000 euro a few weeks ago. It was also a Puch 500GE and many details on the car are the same (silver star on steering wheel, new non-original driver`s seat, silver non-original radio, 18 inch rims with BFG A/Ts, scratched roof). I didn`t buy the car, because the engine was burning oil and the rear axle was from a G400CDI with disc brakes, so the ABS was without function.  If anybody wants to check, I still have the VIN number written somewhere.

gooch
gooch's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

20th Anniversary was a purple/black seat one if I recall in the books/pictures etc.

I remember that one in Scotland about 2 yrs ago, I wonder what happened to that one as well.

Was that a 500GE as well?

gooch
gooch's picture

If I recall this was on a U.S-Mercedes forum about the 500GE's, they were all PUCH built at that time. I went down to see this car for a nose etc (cheeky eh). He's had the motor for some time in the U.K, It might be the 500GE from Scotland that was up for sale two years back I think.
His dash lights were all working good even the ABS switch worked fine on the dash etc, all the electronics seemed to be all working

All the seats looked quite newish to me, maybe all have been reconolized?? If they have - they have been done to a high standard!

The guy has the original 'Becker' stereo-tape player, which is in the boot in some box, he told me it works buts old.

There was a scrape But in the roof gutter thing that sticks out - black thing he has painted over etc- not in the roof itself!

All in all, pretty sound motor! 

Luky
Luky's picture

Gooch sent me the VIN of the car offered on ebay and it is NOT the car from mobile.

gooch
gooch's picture

Found some history on the G500-500ge.

The ones made in 93-94 were amethst blue+100 of them were various colours, the 99' models were bornite grey met with black/purple hide.

bigblock
bigblock's picture

The Scottish GE500 mentioned by Gooch that was for sale a few years ago was an L reg and the one on ebay is a K reg although the colour and interior are the same.

It was for sale for around £15k and I was quite interested in it but the vehicle was being sold by the owners brother who kept telling me that they had a foreign buyer interested and they were not sure if they would accept £15k for it and if I gave him my best offer he would get back to me. 

I got the impression that the owner had told the (young) brother what price he wanted and anything above that the brother could keep, hence the vagueness of the selling price as he was unsure how much it was really worth.

I remember getting a bit frustrated with the whole thing offering a firm £12.5k if he wanted to sell it, that was the last I heard from him !!

To be honest although it had a V8 I was not that impressed that it had only two locking diffs and I remember feeling it was not quite a real G because of that.

Here's a few photos of it. 

M2dxb
M2dxb's picture

See here, some would see it as a sign of exclusivity:
http://www.4x4abc.com/G-Class/500GEtrivia.html

Wasn't the L-reg owned by former Greek royalty?

prwales
prwales's picture

the 240bhp was hardly impressive, given the availability of the 320 engine in other models from 1994 onwards