GD 300 Soft Top for Sale

13 replies [Last post]
Spider1V
Spider1V's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

HI all,

For some reason I can not set up a classified, so will post here. Ok I have had a 'quiet' member contact me as he would like to offer to the club first bite of this cherry. It is his GD300 ( first registered in 04/89).

The G was first registered in 04/1989 and he has the MoT records since then but the only parts and service record he has is since his ownership and purchase in 2004. He has regularly serviced the G and done so himself with the only major components that have been replaced during his ownership have been:

The soft-top (£1114),
The exhaust
The shockers
The fuel tank
Replacement of the corroded parts of the bodywork

To his knowledge she has never been pranged and is undamaged and in quite good condition for her age. He is also not aware of any road worthiness problem and it is MoT'd til August (’12)

The body colour is red, with a (faded) black rag-top. The interior is very basic – he has suggested that it could be an ex military spec one.

His asking price is £4000 for the car and £2000 for the plate (A1 6 WGN) but he would prefer to sell the car with the plate and is prepared to negotiate a combined price. He is based in the west country (UK).

The VIN of the truck is WDB46031227063651 and engine number is 61793120019011.

and thanks to Fixwin for the following update:

it was ordered by the UK distributor in March 1988 as a standard 2 seat pickup 5 cyl diesel with manual 5 speed G box with swivel spare wheel mounting and grey cloth interior.. red is the original colour " not a cabrio " ( and I have edited the top now to 'Soft Top'.

*** Please note***

I am doing this as a favour for another member
All the information I have is listed in this post
All I have seen is the photos
I do have his contact details if your interested
Any wise ass comments will be delt with, with extream predudice!!!!!!

Spider1v

Login or register to view attached files
Theo
Theo's picture
Re: GD 300 Cabrio for Sale

the VIN  would be useful, does not look like a 1989 model.

hus55
hus55's picture

looks alright spider.

but its not an 89 model, more like an 80 model or maybe up to 82...[judging by the small brown check material seats.

good luck with the sale mate...

rgds hus

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Envious of it, pity my pockets have holes in it.

Drat,

Theo
Theo's picture

the soft-top points to a pre-85 model, I agree with hus55 most likely a 1982 model; in 1982 MB sold a number of basic RHD 300d convertibles for agricultural use, as far as I know they not even had a rear-bench.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Sorry to put holes in your theory of guessing the year of production or registration.  I know the five speed were introduced after 1984/5, so this can not be an '80/'82 model.

If it is that important, I'll try for a dealer to date it from the registration date.  If they play ball, I'll post the date on for you.

Cheers,

Jdring
Jdring's picture
Location: South of Oxford, UK. 87' 230GE SWB Manual, 89' 230GE SWB Auto, 2012 G350Bluetec LWB
Re: GD 300 Soft Top for Sale

Well reading the original post, looks like the facts are coming full circle.  UK distributor order in 1988, 5 speed, 2 seater, grey seats ...
Probably a 87/88 manufacture, with the seats replaced later (with older pattern).  Replacement rag top too.
Doesn't the VIN provide a definitive manufacture date?
And does it really matter if you are interested in the car - there aren't many about.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Any one remember Jungle Book, the scene of the three indecisive vultures sitting on a branch, saying to each other, "WHAT SHALL WE DO NOW?,   I DON'T KNOW, WHAT SHALL WE DO?........

Well, the conversation above seems very much like that.  Well, its settled; as Spider1V declared the vehicle was manufactured in 1989 and date of registry is 06/04/89.  "WHAT SHALL WE DO NOW?"....LOL.

Regards,

hus55
hus55's picture

i think marty [buckalec] had a great soft top G....

it went to a good home !

lets hope this one also goes to a good home.

its kind of spider to help out , nice one joe.

[  but its definately a pre 85......what do we do now... ??  ]

Theo
Theo's picture

the G offered here seems to be one of the stripped versions (most of them were produced in 1982) there was a tax benefit attached most likely for being a two seater.
I would consider restoring a convertible but interested in a 460 convertible with a folding top (i.e. 1985 and later) and  standard specification; but I'm not even sure whether any have been sold in the UK;  does anybody know?

hus55
hus55's picture

hi theo. fredcosse has a soft top and a folding frame. not sure if he wants to sell it though.

drop him a pm.

prwales
prwales's picture
Indy G
Indy G's picture

Do you chaps think that this folding top (if its for sale?) will fit my g wagon?

prwales
prwales's picture

yes