G300 SWB seen on Autotrader

10 replies [Last post]
BigRedTaxis
BigRedTaxis's picture

Hi Guys
am considering a look at this car ..any advice before i go would be appreciated... 200k miliage is worrying me, i do want a 462 as a future project ... colour change, retrim, new engine etc...look at the link here.....   http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201219470232364/sort/default/usedcars/model/g_class/make/mercedes-benz/radius/1500/page/1/quicksearch/true/postcode/sm72jj?logcode=p

is it a good starting place for a project...plan to use it a few years first... hate the wheels it on though..prefer genuine merc wheels...

BRT

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: G300 SWB seen on Autotrader

Hello BigRedTaxis,

Looking for a 462?  - think you mean 463 don't you.  Although, I have a feeling there is a 462 model, but it is not much talked about.

By the way, I could not get onto you provided link.

DO, think very carefully, on taking on such a project on, these can be costly, be serious in your budgeting.  Ordinarily, nice as these vehicles are, they are not cheap.  So do your price researching first, complying your wish list and look at their buying costs etc, etc.... before you take on such a project.

Cheers,

dentsmithy
dentsmithy's picture

462 is the G built in greece and supplied in kit form by MB. Given the state of Greeces ecconomy there might be a few cheap ones kicking around.

The link worked for me. If it's been well maintained it could be a good buy. Plenty of replacement engines around when the time comes.

BigRedTaxis
BigRedTaxis's picture

Sorry yes its a 463  interesting info about the 462 by the way thanks...   the milage wheels colour and lack of leather are the only downsides.... i can tell without visiting the car...only 14miles from me..

prwales
prwales's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

try this link

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201219470232364/sort/defau...

Interior condition is excellent for 200k, if that reflects overall condition then it could be a very good buy. The only issue of significance are the awful alloys so if you want it ask for a discount as proper ones aren't cheap. Nothing wrong with the colour, manganese brown.

Jdring
Jdring's picture
Location: South of Oxford, UK. 87' 230GE SWB Manual, 89' 230GE SWB Auto, 2012 G350Bluetec LWB

I like it all, bar the horrible wheels.  Would prefer different seats too, but the condition looks OK and like the colour, sliding rear windows, sunroof (does it work).  Jump seats in the rear would be a bonus - can't see from the pics.  Assume £1k for the wheels (x5 or is the spare an original?).  Aircon too?   Some warranty is a plus.
Looking at the other cars this seller has, incl the £235k 2011 model, I think this is just an inconvenience to them and they just want to shift it = poss bargain for a quick sale.   May also be able to haggle some real wheels instead of finding yourself.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

RE: 462, now that you mention it; it is the CKD (complete knock-down) kit meant for Greece.  I am assuming that Mercedes-Benz would have water tight conditions attached to the agreement, that the vehicle is not sold in Europe or else where.  Being Military spec. en,all.  So despite Greece's economic conditions, it may not be as easy to source as one may think, but this is conjecture on my part. 

Finding parts through dealers here,would be barred, I would expect and the way to get around that, would be giving parts the numbers you would want or substitute the vehicles chassis number with that, recognized here.

Other than, that, it definitely needs another set of wheels, a decent re-conditioned engine could be got at around £1500 plus VAT.  Check the engine out thoroughly and the radiator if the gearbox in need of attention, a re-conditioned one would be around £1300 - £1500 plus VAT.  Elements of labour have not been considered.  Generally it condition does not look bad so it may not need spending as much as I had originally perceived.

Get a vehicle inspection done before buying.

Ohh, who ever supplied the new link, Thank you.

Good Luck,

M2dxb
M2dxb's picture

Looks like it has been taken off autotrader...what was the asking price?

Jdring
Jdring's picture
Location: South of Oxford, UK. 87' 230GE SWB Manual, 89' 230GE SWB Auto, 2012 G350Bluetec LWB

Odd that.  It was a reasonable £6950.  Here's a copy of the ad.

M2dxb
M2dxb's picture

Thanks - excellent record keeping!

BigRedTaxis
BigRedTaxis's picture

I think its gone.... sold before i saw it...oh well...I heard a whisper from a copper friend of mine to avoid the garage selling that car...he wouldnt say why!!  
..i wanted a black one anyway!!   price was reasonable though... hated the wheels!!  i wonder what they did with the origionals....  i work in london and there are about 7 G wagens that regularly park/live in the W8 W11 area....  various styles and colours...  the search for the (G wagen) aprentice continues!!

Is it wrong to want a Black SWB G55... even though my pockets will never be deep enough??   i wonder if they are ever off roaded....