G300 1991 - Difficultly starting when hot

5 replies [Last post]
Gw4mike
Gw4mike's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

I have recently fitted a new cyl head gasket. Since then I have difficulty with starting when I have driven a few miles.

I have checked old threads on the forum and they all deal with relay or insuficient fuel issues.

My G seems to be flooding and will only start if I don't touch the petrol pedal at all or if it has cooled down.

Can smell the fuel at the rear.

Is there a cold start mechanism that may not be turning off and how can I check this ?

I suspect the battery needs replacing as it will not cope with too many retries.

panzer
panzer's picture
Re: G300 1991 - Difficultly starting when hot

Hi GW4Mike

This may or may not help.

I have the same engine in a 300sl and had the same problem and have cured it and an intermittant misfire but am still not sure what the cause was. It was a real pain - stop for fish and chips and wait twenty minutes to start the car.

I replaced  fuel pump relay, fuel pump, distributor cap and rotor arm, coil and spark plugs. I had fitted new plug leads,fuel filter,thermastat and air filter prior to the problem.

With the benifit of hindsight start with the plugs then distributor cap / rotor arm  and work on to the others. It is vital that both the former are in excellent condition.

Car starts first time every time now.

Hopefully a more knowledgable member will be able to pinpoint the cause.

prwales
prwales's picture

check for air leaks around the fuel metering head

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Please check firstly the distributor cap and rotor arm. In this check do check out the yellow back plate for any cracks or tracking marks and replace if necessary.These have a tendency to fail ever 70 to 80 000 miles. 

I am presuming the spark plugs are fine and of the correct heat range as the head has just been done. Have the emissions been checked and adjusted as necessary after the head job, if not do so.

Have your battery charged up and if required, renew it but do have the charging rate tested out.

Report back after these suggestions and we'll take it further.

mre1
mre1's picture

It's distributor cab and maybe also rotor arm, worth to change at the same time.

prwales
prwales's picture

a consumable on this engine, worth familiarising what you need in terms of tools and always carry a spare rotor arm, from memory a 5 or 6 mm allen key and a short depth 10 mm socket [or spanner]