G290TD tripmeter problem

7 replies [Last post]
easydeluxe
easydeluxe's picture

My new 290gtd has a strange electrical gremlin. Sometimes the tripmeter randomly resets itself to 0.
very annoying! Anybody an idea how to solve this?
thank you.
G

lphong
lphong's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: G290TD tripmeter problem

Ah, the 996 I had reset itself every 2000km/miles and i couldn't find a way to change it... perhaps it's a VDO thing?

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi
I have known this to happen if the totalizer numbers have been fiddled  (ie clocked) with...  The pawls on the rollers can be out of sequence as a result and instead of your tripmeter going to 999 before rolling over it will go to zero prematurely if one of the pawls is not in the correct position .. watch the totalizer for a few miles to see if it is recording properly. also the "zero" button may be sticking and not moving enough to fully engage the tripmeter pawls....the button shaft is plastic to plastic so cannot rust  but can be affected if someone has sprayed polish on the console....

lphong
lphong's picture

He might have a digital counter... at least that's what I had on the 996.

easydeluxe
easydeluxe's picture

its a digital counter.

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi
then you probably have an intemittent fault in the earthing / grounding links to the instrument cluster...  most likely at the main earthing terminal on the bulkhead behind the engine compartment.....

easydeluxe
easydeluxe's picture

that sounds logical, is there an easy way to check?
thx
G

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi G
on the RHD 290 there is a mass of grounding wires to the right of the steering column up high under the dash below the windscreen,,,look for the main negative post on the battery where the cable attaches to the body there will be a bunch of wires on the back side of that bolt (inside the G' ).....if the wiper spindles have leaked then there is a good chance of corrosion....removing the console from the binnacle means taking off the steering wheel so checkng for corrosion first will be easier....