G Video of Abingdon 4x4 Festival 2010

9 replies [Last post]
Jdring
Jdring's picture
Location: South of Oxford, UK. 87' 230GE SWB Manual, 89' 230GE SWB Auto, 2012 G350Bluetec LWB
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

OK, just for fun I spent a few hours uploading a video I took from inside my 230GES when I took it round (first time) the Abingdon 4x4 Festival course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln7sKHxwcQI 

It starts on a first quite tough obstacle before I had engaged diff locks and then nearly flipped my G on its left side!  The rest is pretty boring though.

Anyway, personally, I would recommend it - the course was pretty testing in a few places but mostly a nice easy and non damaging circuit.  I was pleased mine made it with only a bust rear number plate - since I don't get off road much, and never on real terrain, I was half expecting my exhaust to split, spring to break or worse.  There were plenty of 4x4 casualties along the way - the funniest being a Hummer which attempted to get over a hill and promptly got stuck balanced on the top.  Its just toooo big.

There were also a couple of amazing 4x4 2CVs which just breezed around.  I have a bit of video somewhere showing those.

No other G's so apart from the amusing commentary from my daughter and the inside of my G, you don't get to see mine do much and you can't really appreciate the terrain either.

I'd recommend it this September and maybe a few G's could meet up there to go around together?

(Oh, I replaced my broken rear plate today - 7 months later!)

Jdring
Jdring's picture
Location: South of Oxford, UK. 87' 230GE SWB Manual, 89' 230GE SWB Auto, 2012 G350Bluetec LWB
Re: G Video of Abingdon 4x4 Festival 2010

Here's my G
Attached because not sure how to paste an image in this forum.

Jdring
Jdring's picture

OK, heres the 2 2CVs clip, going though the water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEcYRHtGuEU

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Love the commentary bless her, keep us updated on that event and I'll come along, In my patrol ;o). Anyone remember the africars, designed on the 2cv for Africa, they were good too, then the 2cv was initially designed to go between villages on the old dirt tracks that still exist today, hence the suspension setup, they were good off road is two wheel drive.

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

Love the commentary bless her, keep us updated on that event and I'll come along, In my patrol ;o). Anyone remember the africars, designed on the 2cv for Africa, they were good too, then the 2cv was initially designed to go between villages on the old dirt tracks that still exist today, hence the suspension setup, they were good off road is two wheel drive.

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

LOL 10/10 for the comentary!

Nice clip. Did you get anyone asking what it was you had?

Spider1V

Jdring
Jdring's picture

Loads of the stewards knew what a G was and how capable they are.  It was the only G they'd seen over the 2 days, which I was really surprised about because there are a few in Oxfordshire and the region.  I think it cost £25 to spend the day going rouns the course as often as you liked - each lap taking a good 45mins.  There was an easy and a difficult track, and several obstacles deteriorated so they routed around them. 
A gully run was the trickiest, making you feel trapped in the gutter and needing some tight 3-point turning and lots of extension.

I really was impressed that nothing broke as it doesn't get stressed very often and is all original 1987 tackle.

Low ratio was brilliant and diff lock essential - I'd had my diff locks fixed a couple of weeks before for the occasion.

Plenty of stewards and real 4x4 expert assistance (winches etc) around if you get stuck!   I really wanted to show the G in the showring where they were testing extension... how far up a ramp you can get a front or rear wheel and still leave the other 3 wheels on the ground.  It wouldn't win agains tthe kit 4x4's bt would be interesting to compare against the many landies there.

mark
mark's picture

Not allowed to use front / rear lockers on those articulation test things so G's don't go very far at all. Any vehicle with lockers would just keep going till they rolled over, might make it more interesting for spectators.  LOL

Mr B
Mr B's picture

Hi Jdring,

I saw you there.... I was intending on bringing my G but the garage held onto it for the weekend.

Have to say you did some very nice driving indeed, my brother said when you passed us that it looked effortless in a G Wagen so its a great compliment to the driver and car! Also its great to see drivers that understand the less is more approach to speed offroad... some of the Rover boys acted like they'd just stepped out of their RS Turbo prior to going round the track.

Ps. Gutted I missed the Hummer incident... that thing was huge externally and tiny inside. Cannot see how body armoured american troops sit for hours in those things. 

Pps. Those CV's were brilliant! Amazing little things.

Nath

Jdring
Jdring's picture

Cheers.  Maybe see you this year.  It looks like its the 24/25 Sept.
http://www.abingdon4x4festival.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=49&vmcchk=1&Itemid=26 

Its £30 for the day with off roading this year.