G required - 460 basic spec

12 replies [Last post]
Grecian
Grecian's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi all,

Life without a G has little meaning so I'm looking to get back to the action. I'm going to sell my R129 500SL so should have up to £5k to play with which should get me a very good example, however, I'd prefer to pay less and get less.

I went to have a look at this one yesterday...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201108380304827/sort/price...

The current owner has had it for over 10 years but has very little paperwork. It went to G-wagen (Caversham) 2 or 3 years ago when they treated the normal rust, replaced a few bits and pieces and gave it a bit of a tidy up. I wouldn't call it a professional restoration as there's still a fair few blisters here and there and the interior is a bit tatty. This was after several years spent sat in a barn and it hasn't been used a lot since either. The window seals need replacing, the exhaust is blowing (probably at the not-so flexible joint) and is fairly well corroded all over. The heater blower has packed up and the window winder broke in the owners hand when he tried to wind it back up yesterday so I would think the mechanisms need a bit of an overhaul. 1st gear is also very difficult to engage and the gaitor comes off when you eventually get it in.

On the plus side, I like the spec, the engine sounded smooth, it went and stopped well, I'm fairly sure the milage is genuine and it's only an hour and a bit away from me.

What do you guys think is a fair price? My feelings are that without the provenance it has a ceiling value of c. £4.5k and to get it to a condition that would command that price would take an awful lot of work. If all the bits listed above were done then maybe it's worth £3.5k but I don't think it's worth much more than £2k as is. Am I being unfair?

Cheers all,

Tom

prwales
prwales's picture
Re: G required - 460 basic spec

buy an early 463 for similar money

Grecian
Grecian's picture

Don't want one. Like I said, would prefer to pay less and get less. I want something with as little to go wrong as possible!

Grecian
Grecian's picture

The seller reckons the heater blower is only £140. That seems too cheap to me??

prwales
prwales's picture

you need to add on the labour

bigblock
bigblock's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Have you had a look at these. Seems like a pretty good deal could be done.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TWO-1985-MERCEDES-300D-G-WAGEN-WAGON-CONVERTABLES-...

Grecian
Grecian's picture

If I had the space/tools/knowledge/time than maybe. I'd have to get rid of the purple paint-job though!

hus55
hus55's picture
LEEU
LEEU's picture

I would much rather go for the one Huss put forward. In 1989 the made a few small changes to the 230 engine. If I bough a 460 again it will be a '89 230. Not a lot less power than the 280, but uses a lot less fuel. The older ones are a bit sluggish to my liking.

hus55
hus55's picture

leuu, thats exactly why i mentioned that gem. it looks pretty clean too. i briefly drove a 1990 model 230 ges and it was the best 460 i had th epleasure of owning before i sold it. power was good, refinememt was much better than a 300gd and it was quite good on fuel too.off road it was a diamond.

go for a similar 460 if you ask me. fredcosse has a 230 ges i think. he should be able to answer a few questions too.

here is a pic of it with the new owner trying it light off road. the whit one in the backgorund was also mine. it was 300GD .nice G, BUT  A TRACTOR IN COMPARISON....

Grecian
Grecian's picture

I'm hoping to try that one out over the weekend. It has the added bonus of the mrs' intials on the number plate!

Cheers all.

Grendle
Grendle's picture

Hi Tom,

You might also like to pop in and see G Wagen James at Westonzoyland. He's got several G's including a nice green 460SWB 230, currnently waiting referb. Kieth ,who passed on that rear light box to you, is just finishing a Turbo 460 they've restored there....already sold but worth a look.

Cheers

Paul

Grecian
Grecian's picture

I went to see the red 230 yesterday. It was tidier than the earlier black one but still a little rough around the edges. Solid underneath though. Heater motor just packed up, spindles want doing. James is putting a new MOT on it with a view to shifting it, so there may be a deal to be had. He seems pretty realistic about G prices atm.

I also had a poke around some of the other G's up there so if anyone's interested, let me know.