g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

20 replies [Last post]
drewtee
drewtee's picture
Offline
Joined: 07.12.2010
Location: london
GWOA Groups: Members

 Hi,

can anyone recommend a good trailer hitch/ tow bar that can be fitted to my g500 2003 model (LHD)

I've come across this one on ebay which looks ok

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-2005-MERCEDES-G500-463-CHASSIS-TRAIL...

My orginal one that came with the car has been removed for the DVLA import test and not replaced so now lost.

If no suggestions i will probably purchase the ebay one.

Thanks

Andy

Rick Byrne
Rick Byrne's picture
Offline
Joined: 06.06.2005
Location: Northamptonshire
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

Andy,     as your G was registered after 1 August 1998 you need a type approved towbar.  I really like the versatility of the 2" receiver hitch [used to good effect in US and Australia], but unfortunately I am not aware of any with EU type approval.  I have one fitted to my Wrangler JK, but only for my bike carrier and tray carrier.

Search www.ebay.de using "mercedes g anhängerkupplung" and see what you come up with.

drewtee
drewtee's picture
Offline
Joined: 07.12.2010
Location: london
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

 Rick,

i didn't realise that you couldn't use these. This is why it must have been removed for the test.

Are they illegal to use in the uk do you know?

I want to use it with a recovery Dolly.

Rick Byrne
Rick Byrne's picture
Offline
Joined: 06.06.2005
Location: Northamptonshire
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

I've no expertise here, but see http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/towbar_fitting_hertfordshire.html and the following:

"Type Approval and European Law 94/20EC
Most passenger cars registered after 1st August 1998 (S registration) must be fitted with a Type Approved towbar. These cars have an “e” mark on the VIN plate together with the maximum car and trailer mass. If the trailer mass is not specified then the car is not permitted to tow a trailer, however it may still be fitted with a support bracket to fit a cycle or motorbike carrier.
European regulations were introduced on 1st August 1998 to harmonise the testing and approval of towbars throughout the EU. The regulations apply to all passenger vehicles registered from 1st August 1998 (S registration) which have to have an "e" mark and its maximum vehicle and trailer masses stamped on a plate. The vehicle manufacturer has to nominate the mounting points for the towbar and the towbar manufacturer has to design to fit to these only. The towbar (not the vehicle or the trailer attached to it) is then tested on a jig, to a formula to ensure it is strong enough to pass the test.
These regulations DO NOT APPLY to the following vehicles:
Commercial Vehicles (ie. pick-ups, chassis cabs, vans etc.), Motorhomes, Special Imports (ie. from Japan or America), Front towbars and other cars that are not “e” marked.
"

I wouldn't risk invalidating my vehicle insurance, in case of accident, by towing with any bracket not conforming to regulations.

Rick

drewtee
drewtee's picture
Offline
Joined: 07.12.2010
Location: london
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

 Thanks Rick. I may as well go for one on the German ebay site. (even though i've managed to track down my original trailer hitch (the US one)

The ones on Ebay.de all seem to fix by 4 bolts only. I'm presuming that the holes on the Gwagen for the trailer hitch/ tow bar are universal and in the same position (W463 - G500)

IE: My US car has the same holes for a tow bar as a european car??

phileas
phileas's picture
Offline
Joined: 07.11.2008
Location: Cambs
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

Have a look behind the middle of the rear bumper. there should be an angled plate-like bracket. the european towbars bolt onto this plate (with four bolts). ph

drewtee
drewtee's picture
Offline
Joined: 07.12.2010
Location: london
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

 Looks like it has it ok. So it looks ike the US versions have to extra holes at the side for extra security of the tow hitch.

Silverwagon
Silverwagon's picture
Offline
Joined: 06.01.2010
Location: Hampshire
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-G-wagon-towbar-/320663786393?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa90d1399#ht_500wt_949

Is this what you are looking for ???

drewtee
drewtee's picture
Offline
Joined: 07.12.2010
Location: london
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

 Possibly, although i think i would prefer a folding or detachable  type if possible. Have found a few today on the German ebay site

Stuckmojo
Stuckmojo's picture
Offline
Joined: 23.03.2017
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

Resurrecting an old thread

 

My 2008 G55 is on its way to the UK. It comes with a tow bar as standard, but it has the "ball" hitch which I want to swap for this

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CURT-Manufacturing-13318-Receiver-Hitch-2-Clas...

 

reason for it is the need to attach a motorcycle carrier. 

I assume the item will fit. 

 

What's the legal implication. A tow bar is a tow bar? 

 

Thanks 

prwales
prwales's picture
Offline
Joined: 30.05.2007
Location: West Glamorgan
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

might one of the NATO  hitches be a better option, old thread with part numbers here 

http://www.gwoa.co.uk/node/4680

Stuckmojo
Stuckmojo's picture
Offline
Joined: 23.03.2017
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar
Thanks for this. I think it won't work for me as I need the square receiver. Can't see that as an option there unless I'm mistaken
Arnie
Arnie's picture
Offline
Joined: 12.04.2004
Location: London
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

The regulation is that if fitted in Europe the tow-bar needs to have a manufacturer's name and data plate and carry the CE marking (to be legal and for your insurance to be valid).

The original Oris tow hook is manufactured from solid, forged, steel, which will be stronger than any welded, tubular steel.

There is also a vertical weight limit of 75kg (IIRC) for the rear tow hook, so not sure whether a motorcycle carrier will exceed that, if it is to carry the full weight of the bike?

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/towbars/type-approval

 

for your import:


'....private imports from outside the EEC do not need Approved Towbars; however, ....

Stuckmojo
Stuckmojo's picture
Offline
Joined: 23.03.2017
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

Arnie wrote:

The regulation is that if fitted in Europe the tow-bar needs to have a manufacturer's name and data plate and carry the CE marking (to be legal and for your insurance to be valid).

The original Oris tow hook is manufactured from solid, forged, steel, which will be stronger than any welded, tubular steel.

There is also a vertical weight limit of 75kg (IIRC) for the rear tow hook, so not sure whether a motorcycle carrier will exceed that, if it is to carry the full weight of the bike?

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/towbars/type-approval

 

for your import:


'....private imports from outside the EEC do not need Approved Towbars; however, ....

 

Thanks  Arnie.

In other words,  the vehicle is imported, so I  could swap the tow bar. I read that the max weight for the bike carrier is 135kg?

I really don't want to have to use a trailer

bigblock
bigblock's picture
Offline
Joined: 27.05.2009
Location: HIGHLANDS
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

There are motorbike racks that will fit on the standard UK ball type tow bar. The advantage of this type of rack is that you can still use the towball for towing with the rack fitted.

I used to have one like this for my motocross bike. The only difficulty is lifting the bike onto the rack if you are on your own.

http://www.davecooper.co.uk/bike-racks/motorcycle-racks

 

Motorbike Rack

 

Motorcycle Car Rack

tiny
tiny's picture
Offline
Joined: 01.08.2009
Location: Louth
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

I use an easylifter motorcycle carrier on my campervan - its a twin wheeler at the back but I also had some air bags fitted that can be inflated to assist the rear springs when the bike is on the carrier. No idea about the legality but it works very well.

Stuckmojo
Stuckmojo's picture
Offline
Joined: 23.03.2017
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

I'll have a look at the easy trailer. 

my issue is that i have the standard swan neck tow bar (with the ball). 

Either I buy the Curt 13318 adapter or one of these

[img]http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/images/clip_image006.jpg[/img]

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/images/clip_image006.jpg

The Dave Cooper rack is what I want but it won't fit either of the attachments. 

What's the easiest solution (I have no space for a trailer)

Arnie
Arnie's picture
Offline
Joined: 12.04.2004
Location: London
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

 

Stuckmojo wrote:

Arnie wrote:

The regulation is that if fitted in Europe the tow-bar needs to have a manufacturer's name and data plate and carry the CE marking (to be legal and for your insurance to be valid).

The original Oris tow hook is manufactured from solid, forged, steel, which will be stronger than any welded, tubular steel.

There is also a vertical weight limit of 75kg (IIRC) for the rear tow hook, so not sure whether a motorcycle carrier will exceed that, if it is to carry the full weight of the bike?

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/towbars/type-approval

 

for your import:


'....private imports from outside the EEC do not need Approved Towbars; however, ....

 

 

Thanks  Arnie.

In other words,  the vehicle is imported, so I  could swap the tow bar. I read that the max weight for the bike carrier is 135kg?

I really don't want to have to use a trailer

Yes, maybe in the UK, but if you intend to venture into Europe you might get stopped 

also, 135 kg at 50cm from the mounting point is 675 Nm of twist on the mounting bracket.

Stuckmojo
Stuckmojo's picture
Offline
Joined: 23.03.2017
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

Arnie wrote:

 

Stuckmojo wrote:

Arnie wrote:

The regulation is that if fitted in Europe the tow-bar needs to have a manufacturer's name and data plate and carry the CE marking (to be legal and for your insurance to be valid).

The original Oris tow hook is manufactured from solid, forged, steel, which will be stronger than any welded, tubular steel.

There is also a vertical weight limit of 75kg (IIRC) for the rear tow hook, so not sure whether a motorcycle carrier will exceed that, if it is to carry the full weight of the bike?

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/towbars/type-approval

 

for your import:


'....private imports from outside the EEC do not need Approved Towbars; however, ....

 

 

Thanks  Arnie.

In other words,  the vehicle is imported, so I  could swap the tow bar. I read that the max weight for the bike carrier is 135kg?

I really don't want to have to use a trailer

Yes, maybe in the UK, but if you intend to venture into Europe you might get stopped 

also, 135 kg at 50cm from the mounting point is 675 Nm of twist on the mounting bracket.

 

Thanks Arnie, I won't be driving the G with the rack in Europe, I am based in the North East, I would be bankrupt before I reach the M25 with fuel bills :)

I have emailed the fabricator of the flange with the spec of the rack I want to use. It's either that or the different attachment (which I've seen used many times in Dubai with people bouncing on the dunes with bikes in the back).

 

Edited to add, this is my current tow bar. 

 

 

Arnie
Arnie's picture
Offline
Joined: 12.04.2004
Location: London
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

Your current tow-bar is the standard one for the W463 G-Wagen. As you can see its a forged steel affair, which will be a lot tougher than the proposed square-section tubular steel replacement.


The little aluminium plate affixed to it will have the approvals datra.


If you don't want to keep it, they sell for around £250

 

Stuckmojo
Stuckmojo's picture
Offline
Joined: 23.03.2017
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: g 500 trailer hitch/ tow bar

Arnie wrote:

Your current tow-bar is the standard one for the W463 G-Wagen. As you can see its a forged steel affair, which will be a lot tougher than the proposed square-section tubular steel replacement.


The little aluminium plate affixed to it will have the approvals datra.


If you don't want to keep it, they sell for around £250

 

thanks Arnie, that was my thinking too. Forged steel vs tubular steel. the fabricator I ordered the flange for said it's been tested with 300kg and passed with flying colours. my bike is 109kg dry - 115 kg wet. 

I'll keep the original tow bar.