A Friendly reminder - Winter 2013/2014

10 replies [Last post]
Spider1V
Spider1V's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

So, Christmas is almost upon us here in the UK and that means bad weather, bad moods, bad driving conditions and above all bad drivers! According to the weather forecasts it appears that we are in for a belter this year, quotes like 'It will be 1947 all over again' ( So I called evil Northern rep to ask him what it was like then Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.) and 'UK to be battered by 70MPH blizzards' another, and 'Big Bertha's bouncing boobs blow up'..... Oppps sorry wrong paper Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Joking apart, for those new to G ownership, now would be the time to go out on to a rough piece of ground or wet grass and just try putting in your diffs, get them nice and 'lubed' up and also check that they are working, try putting your truck in low gear and just practice a bit before it goes nuts.

All others members, simple reminder that while your truck is indestructible (almost) you , on the other hand, are not. Simple snow rules, have some warm blankets stored in the car, remember to take water, hot flask should you need to go out in tempest weather and an implement that can help move snow - we call this a shovel. If its like anything like the past few years, your are bound to get calls from people, friends, acquaintances that will get stuck and need your help, or if like me as one is the only G around here just about everyone call's me.

So take it easy out there, hopefully some of the more 'experienced' members may like to share some hints and tips.....(Mark, Shawny, Big Block...) or anyone else feel free to add to this thread and 'Be careful out there'

Spider1V

Steve Kirk
Steve Kirk's picture
Re: A Friendly reminder - Winter 2014

I do like a full 12 months notice....lol

bigblock
bigblock's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

To add to Spiders excellent advice, if you spend as much time as me rescuing stranded cars when it snows then a quality towing strop is a good investment.

They come in various lengths but in general a 5m length with a 5ton SWL rating will be sufficient get most cars unstuck.

My rescue strop has a heavy duty hook at both ends with a safety clip. I prefer this to a shackle because it is quick and easy to clip on and off towing eyes, which is a major benefit when trying to help someone at the side of the road in the dark during a blizzard.  

Brutus
Brutus's picture

I concur

Griff
Griff's picture

I towed a stuck truck on packed snow last year there was a line of cars with a Delivery truck at the bottom of the hill slewed across the road blocking the road, As I trundled down the other side of the road a few drivers blew their horns and put their fingers up thinking I was a 4x4 jumping the queue! I then said to the truck driver  I'll pull you up the hill just put the truck in a low gear and have it on a low idle, my G pulled it square and up the hill, never used diff locks or low box, and the drivers who blew their horns could look at me when I opened the road for them. The truck just needed that extra traction.
I used one of the tow ropes that has the safety hook on, I just clipped it on the D Buckle under the back.

Audiominx
Audiominx's picture

I bought a 14 tonne strop (because I could) yet it only came with 3 tonne weighted shackles (sensible planning) so had to go to a local tractor shop to buy some better ones

mark
mark's picture
Re: A Friendly reminder - Winter 2013/2014

All very good advice.

hus55
hus55's picture

if you are lucky enough to live in the uk....

foneman
foneman's picture

And i am G lessfrown But good advice 

bigblock
bigblock's picture

The 3 ton rating will refer to the safe working load (SWL) which is normaly the minimum breaking weight divided by 5 to give a margin of safety. So your 3ton shackle is actually pretty robust up to about 15 tons.

If you wanted a shackle with a SWL the same as your 14 ton strop then it might be a bit on the large side....

Geoff
Geoff's picture
Good advice and hopefully I will get an MOT on mine before the winters over to put it into practice