Folding soft top W460 - need help!

8 replies [Last post]
bocaj
bocaj's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

I'm converting my fixed frame to a folding soft top on my 87' 300GD. The job turned out a bit harder than first expected, due to lack of instructions, meassures or even other cars to look at. I now have 2 questions:

1. The soft top is attached to the body (Between the A and B pillar) by the use of velcro band. I'm not sure exactly where the velcro band should be fitted. Please see Photo_1.

2. On the tail gate the top is attached with push buttons. However the slot where the push buttons are fitted to, seems very deep. See photo_2.
I have checked EPC but it does not seems to be any parts availble between the rubber ledge and the soft top...

Any help or photos are very much appreciated :-)

Regards
Jacob

Login or register to view attached files
Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: Folding soft top W460 - need help!

Hello Jacob,

Subject to further checking, my initial thoughts on fixing the Velcro is on profile marked 'B'.  Looking at your photo, although not clearly visible, just above the Velcro on the soft top, is a 'U-shaped' trim; this interlocks into profile marked 'A' in the photo, therefore, the Velcro should be laying on profile 'B' marked in the photo.

I will come back to you on your second issue, if I learn something there.

Cheers,

bocaj
bocaj's picture

Hi Rakesh,

It does not seem to have this u shaped thing on the soft top :-(

I wonder if the design of the soft top has been changed as it dosn't look to be wide enough.... 

Jacob

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Hello Jacob,

Can I ask, where you sourced the soft top from?  If you can, please photograph the underside of the velcro part and the clip part of the soft top and post that please.  Basically asking for more information on your soft top.

Most soft tops are from the military vehicles, none of these are fitted with clips, instead they have little studs or hooks and eyelets which locate into the studs, and secured with a long wire or rope runing through holes in the studs.

The civilian versions soft top is different, using clips as yours but the fastening does not have the deep channel of trim attached to it.

Have you added the clips to the trim or where these already there?   

Are you fabricating your own frame or have you sourced this from another model?

Look forward to your reply.

bocaj
bocaj's picture

Rakesh,

I bought the folding frame and soft top on the German ebay site. It is definitely a top made for a civillian G. I have just fitted one clip to the trim on the tail gate just to test how it will work, but I'm affraid it will be to difficult to clip on and undo when the channel is that deep.

I have done a fair bit of research in EPC and to my knowledge, the same part number for the trrim on the tail gate is the same for both W460 and W463

I will be back in the work shop tomorrow night and I will make sure to post plenty of photos.

Jacob

bocaj
bocaj's picture

... here are some more photos of the soft top

https://picasaweb.google.com/bocaj82/SoftTop

LEEU
LEEU's picture

Nice pic of topless one on the pin board of pic # 9

bocaj
bocaj's picture

for some reason I knew that was going to be commented... :-)

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Hello bocaj,

Please check your PM.

Cheers, :-)