Exhaust Y-pipe flex. Where can i get one please? 280ge

4 replies [Last post]
Gibson
Gibson's picture

Hi,

I have put my Mercedes 280ge LWB in for MOT and they have said the Exhaust Y-pipe between front box and manifold is leaking badly and that I need to replace it.

its like the one in the below picture in germany 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hosenrohr-Auspuffrohr-Mercedes-G-Modell-G-Klas...

Where can I source one of these at a reasonable price please?

Many thanks
Joe

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: Exhaust Y-pipe flex. Where can i get one please? 280ge

Hello Joe,

You should be able to ask your local motor factor or exhaust fitters to order the Flexi hoses from the Bosal-exhaust catalog.  They do these flexi hoses but the size, you find a tadd larger than what is fitted to the Mercedes exhaust.  A good welder can weld or braze these on for you despite the slightly larger size.

Just make sure either ends of the flexi pipes are marked to align or phase the ends to achieve the correct angles.

Cheers, 

Gibson
Gibson's picture

Hey Pistonhead!!!

Sorry for very late reply but been out of the country for a while!

First off thanks alot we got it all replaced by a garage so thats all good. We have another gwagon that as a split in just one of the flexi pipes. Its like a half centre metre ring has dropped out. I was wondering if there is away I could do it myself as they quoted a fair bit to do it. I have tried exhaust badages but only lasted about a week as you'd expect! 

Is there away I can repair it myself without a welder?

Hope you can help and thanks alot for your help :)

Joe

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Hello Joe,

A temporary repair can be effected.  Take a thin piece of metal and use that as a patch up material to wrap around the the missing ring.

If necessary, use metal from a canned drink; when emptied, cut the top and bottom off and cut along its length, open the can up, which should give you a rectangular patch piece of metal.  You may need two cans to wrap all the way around the flexi-pipe.

Form the metal to wrap around the flexi piece.  After roughly forming the shape, apply a generous amount of exhaust paste above and below the missing ring of the flexi pipe and you will need to paste some along the edge of the length of the can.  Fold the patch over and secure the patch with exhaust clamps top, bottom and middle of the patch.   Allow the exhast paste to set before firing up your engine, should you fire up whilst the paste has not set, DO NOT rev the engine!

But replacing or reparing is your best option.

Cheers,

Gibson
Gibson's picture

HI,

Thanks alot for your reply!

I shall try that for now as they wanted £140 to fix it (not sure if thats good or not?!?!)

Many thanks
Joe