Engine downsize 280GE ----to 230GE ??

3 replies [Last post]
magnussen
magnussen's picture

Due to local tax and mot rules it is not posible to change to diesel power  :

...Is it posible to fit a 230 from a 190 or E class directly in my...... w460 280 1986 GE 5spd manual ??

The Old 190 or 230E are wery cheap in denmark thats why this idea...

will the 230 engine fit my gearbox?

best regard from denmark

Søren Pedersen

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: Engine downsize 280GE ----to 230GE ??

Hello Søren,

It is possible to do what you ask.  But there will be a few modifications that will needed to be considered.

The 280GE engine has its starter on the Right Hand Side (Viewing from the rear of the vehicle, looking forwards), the 230GE engine has the starter on the Left Hand Side, so to fit the 230 engine straight to the 280 gearbox is not straight forward.  You can change the bell housing to accommodate this difference, with that, you will need a 230 engine's starter motor.

Alternatively, when you choose your 230 engine, consider transferring the gearbox off that same donor vehicle, this will over come matching issues. 

You will need to consider the shape of the sump to make sure this will not foul with the differential housing.  Here you will be looking to source a sump and perhaps a suitable oil pump or oil pump pick up.
Not having done such modifications first hand, my suggestions are only academic; therefore, I can not positively say if the engine mounts will fit the chassis frame or if you will need to adapt its fitting, like wise the same for gearbox mounting, should you consider a gear box transfer as well.

Before going ahead with any modifications please note  any engine numbers' and, or gearbox numbers' so that a comparison can be made to see if it possible to do the prospective changes on paper, as it were.

Obviously, you will then have to make visual comparisons etc, etc...

prwales
prwales's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

try and get one of those 16v Cosworth 2.3 engines if capacity is your only concern

magnussen
magnussen's picture

My plan is to get a old 190E 2,3 or a 230 E class.. complete old car as donor.

The biggest concern is the gearbox fitting ...therefore the question: will the 2,3 engine (M102.xxx) fit directly on my 5 spd manual gearbox ??    :-)

Søren.