Electrical Power Surge after starting my G300 - please help

3 replies [Last post]
pearmund
pearmund's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

I'm getting a strange Electrical Power Surge after starting my G300.

This generally happens after the car has been been standing for 8 hours + especially after it's been damp.

I will turn the car on and after a few minutes, normally just after I first putting my foot on the accelerator, there will be an electrical power surge.

The surge will cut the radio, cut the ABS (which then needs to be reset using the ABS on/ off button) and blows the low beams if they're on. I have tested the ABS after the surge and after resetting - and ABS always resets sucessfully.

Apart from the great expense I could potentially incure on buying high quality light bulbs, it's a pain and because this only happens once or twice a day after the car has been standing, I can't detect where the issue is coming from as everything including the alternator current seems normal.

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: Electrical Power Surge after starting my G300 - please help

This type of fault needs to be caught at the time of it happening, hence, it needs to be checked under the conditions your surge seems to appear.

My explaination, not saying I am right; shortly after starting the alternator regulator momentarily fails in controlling either current and, or voltage output from it. This should be picked up by a multi-meter hook up checking for current and voltage out put.

Have the fault codes checked up to see if such a fault is stored.

Tempoarily fitting a spike protector may help. The link beloe is just one example of.

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/857474/Kemo-Car-Voltage-Spike-Protector

Maybe worth checking out the over voltage relay if fitted to your vehicle. 

prwales
prwales's picture

you don't say if your car is electric or diesel or how old it is but assuming its petrol, I would go with the alternator most likely being at fault, find a good auto electrician to diagnose the problem but if its regulator alone, its not an expensive repair

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Assuming like others that this is an early / mid 90's 463 series G300 / 300GE petrol with an M103 engine then..

Overload Protection Relay is A201 540 37 45 £47+vat MBUK or optional A201 540 38 45 might be fitted now.

Alternator should be a 12volt 80amp Bosch unit and the Regulator Pack should be a A000 154 18 05 £49.10+vat MB Germany

and while still available the Carbon Brush Set A000 154 71 14 £5.60 MB Germany

Hope that helps

Gav