Electric window switch on central console on 463 -300e SWB

10 replies [Last post]
LEONIDAS
LEONIDAS's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

The other day, I pressed  the swicth harder than I should have had and it dissappeared in the cavity underneath the wood effect central console. I removed the console and tried to resecure the switch, but unfortunately one of the  lips in the plastic like frame which is  glued underneath seems to be broken and as such the switch assembly ( i.e electric socket + rocker switch) will not latch any more. I  also noticed that apart from the already cut holes to accommodate the  4 switches ( windows and seat heaters) there are also two uncut positions ( complete with  latching frames) which I presume are for fitting additional switches  at the rear end  of  the  concole. As there is sufficient slack in the wiring, I was thinking that I could use one of these two unused  positions to secure the switch and blank off the original slot.  The  existing cut outs in the console are very fine and the fitting of the switches quite tight. My question : Is  there some special tool for cutting the new hole , or is it precut at the factory and it only needs to be punched out???

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: Electric window switch on central console on 463 -300e SWB

Hello leonidas,

Unfortunately, you can not just pop out the cut out, well you can, but you will need to cut the wood vernier if you can manage to do that neatly.

One of my soloutions would be to bond the switch to the your broken slot.  This would be fine untill the actual switch goes wrong making it a little diifficult to replace at that time.  There are quite strong bondings agents about nowadays, one of which could be the Liquid metal mixture.  This comes in a two paste mix, which when a small quantity at a time is throughly mixed together activates the soloution.  After applying the mixture you simply leave it to set and should set a hard as metal.

Rakesh

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi
the wood effect is a very thin veneer which splits at the edges..this makes it very difficult to cut the new hole from behind   I suggest you repair the existing black plastic frame with "Araldiite" as it will only take a small dab to reshape the profile for the switch to hold in.....  the frame is stapled to the wooden back with very fine staples and any attempt to remove the frame to do the repair is frought with problems...*** whatever you do do not allow any chemicals to touch the veneer or damage to the finish will result ..try cleaning the switches with switch cleaner (so you do not have to press so hard ) this entails removing the switch cover by lifting the sides over the two pins ,,,remove very gently to avoid dislodging the springs and filament ...one shot of cleaner  then put the cover back on activate the switch  rocker a few times and then put it back in the console...each switch has a removable plug on the base so you can clean the rocker part on the bench......

LEONIDAS
LEONIDAS's picture

Thank you very much for the advice. I'll give it a try.

LEONIDAS
LEONIDAS's picture

. I'be been wondering how the garage will go about it should one wish to add extra switches.Thanks for the response  and advice anyway.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Regarding How the garage would deal with fitting extra switches.

They would not hesistate in selling you a new consol ordered with additional slots pre-cut.  They want the mega-bucks, don,t they?

A sympathic independant garage might commission a specilaist to do the cutting, but be sure you would still pay through the nose.

A secondhnd replacement is another alternative, but the supply would be like Gold dust.  Even, harder an un marked or cracked one.

Better of adapting some repair to the current, and a method of bonding is likely option, unless one designs a bracket to house the switch within the slot.

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi

If you drop me the chassis number i will work out the part number and see if a dealer anywhere has one sat on the shelf gathering dust we could maybe blag for a big discount

Cheers

Gav

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi
there is a difference between the manual and the diesel SWB centre console panel in that the plastic trim around the gear selector for the automatic is rectangular.... the leather gaiter for the manual fits on a plastic frame which has curved sides..the panel for RHD is not the same outer profile as the LHD ...MB  have stock of LHD panels but want Euro 700 + for an RHD one and six weeks delivery..I have an almost new "Zebrano" (lighter than Burr Walnut) panel c/w switches for a RHD SWB manual gearbox G' without  heated seats......

LEONIDAS
LEONIDAS's picture

I had a go repairing the damaged "lip" on the switch  fixed support by glueing an equivalent diameter piece of wire with Araldite. onto it,  thereby effectvely making a new "lip".  So far it seems that it did the trick and I shall be able to replace the switch if needs be.  If that fails, then I'll glue the switch onto the support ,as suggested earlier on.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Hello Leonidas,

Thank you, for reporting your results following the tips contributed on the forum.

It is nice to learn how the help given ends up.

Glad to see the forum was of help.

shochu
shochu's picture

i have my garage put in a central lock switch near the power window switches
what they did was making a series of small holes using small drills at low speed, from the front
then when they're cut through, they finished off with a file, slowly

and here's the result

[/quote