EBay g400cdi 2001, anybody know this car ?

14 replies [Last post]
Brocade
Brocade's picture

Wondering if anybody knows this car and any thoughts: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Y-Reg-MERCEDES-BENZ-G-CLASS-G400-CDI-V8-DIESEL-FULLY-LOADED-9-SEATER-/280762141294#ht_1042wt_937

Thanks in advance

gooch
gooch's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: EBay g400cdi 2001, anybody know this car ?

Car was Green before they wrapped it (the wrap comes off easily with a heat Gun)!

The wrap is not 100% decent, seen the car in the flesh, door shuts are a quick job as well.
This was bought from 'Chesham LHD centre' in Berks for a mere £18500-( and they bought it from a chap from NL), had the front spoiler on the car at the time.
Was wrapped from a guy/trader from Kent/london who sold the car now to ASM for £25k.
Basically the car has been passing through traders hands for the last 8 months with no sale(privatly).

I've had a G400Cdi and many other G's inc G300, G320, G350td and G500's(the best is 500's), and believe me they're not all that for economy being a V8, Many electrical / Mechanical recalls were around the 2001-2004 editions, you can search g400cdi and see a host of expensive repairs from other members around the World.

My advice would be to get a G500, never go wrong and are pretty bullit proof Motors.! If you look on Autotrader theres a 2000' G500 RHD for £35k and a 1998 G500 RHD for the same money Also maybe a Tecktite Grey G500 for£35k on Ebay. These are probably the best motors that have no Electrical issues too - And the whole of GWOA will agree that the 98-2001 G500's were the best made of it's time.

My advice would be stay clear of a G400 and look at other models available!

Regards
Gooch

LEEU
LEEU's picture

Spider - how did you manage to hack Gooch's acount?

hus55
hus55's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

you read my mind christo !

hahaha.......

gooch
gooch's picture

That's the same thing I was wondering.......hhmmm

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

did not need to guys.....The man knows his G's and knows what is best.... need one say more. I find it strange that of all the member to post its the three who would benefit from a G500! :)

Brocade - I initially looked at the G400V8's, but what put me off was:

a) LHD
b) the niggling issues with the electrics
c) the 500

While on paper the 400's look the business, the people I know who have had them, tended to get rid of them fairly quickly as the frustration of the points in b) really put them off. I am not saying they are a bad car, but if you do a search on the forum and take a look at the posts, you will find some comments on the 400's, from members who have far greater experience than I have. When I initially looked I did factor these into my process, and while the 500 is thirsty, it is a very well mannered vehicle on the road and truly excellent off (after all I am the best off roader here :P )

The rarity of the 500 means , like London busses they tend to come along in three's and also tend to hold their prices, and if they have been looked after and serviced well will go on and on. OK the interior is dated, but everything works, no fuss, no bother.

If this is your first G, and like me your not that mechanically minded, but want to enjoy a good drive and a solid car, my vote would be the 500. Sorry I know you asked about the 400, but the above is an honest answer, as are the osts from the other members.

Spider1V

gooch
gooch's picture

Well put Spider Hero LOL.

And no i'm not a 'KISS ASS' GUYS!

Brocade
Brocade's picture

Many thanks all, appreciate the information. I am in the midst of ditching a 2005 Touareg for the added bootspace of a G-Wagen.

One other alternative I have been advised of is to pick up a LHD G320 cdi 07 or 08 model off the continent with around 70kmiles.. I do drive into the continent so lhd is not such an issue. Obviously, this is around 10k more expensive. If there were any thoughts on this alternative, it would be great to hear those as well.

Many thanks once more

gooch
gooch's picture

Personally if your after boot space put your rear seats down and enjoy your MPG on your Touareg, because I don't think you'll get the MPG you want from a 'G'...... If MPG is your game - Don't hunt for a G.

A 'G' is to be enjoyed no matter how much it costs to run, Enjoy the posing, Exclusivity.

Simple as.

p.s If you bring up German forums on the topic of G320cdi you'll see theres very little they have to say about the 320cdi economy,
p.p.s Bring up Google translater on another box and copy + paste into translater field that should give you English translation.
* When your tugging a 3500 tonn truck theres very little/more a Cdi engine can against a petrol*

Regards

G

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Brocade,

did a search on the forum and came up with a number of comments, however here is one that may be of interest

www.gwoa.co.uk/node/4134

Spider1V

Brocade
Brocade's picture

Many thanks all once more, Tolga

mark
mark's picture

Care to elaborate on these electrical issues? As far as I'm aware these electrical problems are on vehicles from 2001 onwards, and came with the new dashboard, and other changes that came along in this period, absolutely nothing to do with engine choice.

piggysims
piggysims's picture

Your right mark there's a lot of rubbish be put on here about the "400" being at fault but as you say it didn't matter what engine you had weather it be 500 or 270 it's just to do with the dash and loom fitted in that year but to be honest ll problems were sorted out on the vehicles before their warrants ran out and a vehicle 11 years old would have more wear and tear problems than problems still resulting from when they were built..

P.s. it wasn't just a g wagen thing, all merc cars fitted with the new designed looms of that year had problems, it was just Merc pushing the cars out too quickly before thorough test had been done.

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

I remember going to Stuttgart with Howard to collect his 290gtd, we were collected fom the airport by the US and North American sales manger for g wagons. He himself told us of the poor decisions made by Mercedes to go with the lowest quote for wiring looms and electronics around 2001, it was not car or engine specific, but poor quality items purchased for the whole range of Merces from the winning bidder/ supplier, being an Italian company if memory serves me right.

prwales
prwales's picture

the problem goes back to the w124 series saloons much earlier than 2001,  as early as 1994 model year cars, poor quality insulating plastic on the looms that in time crumble away