Can i replace my 5 speed gearbox 230GE (1984) with a 4 gear from 300GD?

3 replies [Last post]
tobychamp
tobychamp's picture

Hi

would anyone know if i can  replace my 5 gearbox 230GE (1984) with a 4 gear from 300GD?

Thanks

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: Can i replace my 5 speed gearbox 230GE (1984) with a 4 ...

Hi
Only the 4 speed gearbox from a 230ge will fit as the starter is located on the opposite side from the diesel 300gd ....you will allso need to transfer the 4 speed gear lever and linkeages

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

With regards to fixwin38's thread, although I can not be certain; I was wondering if you could swop the bell-housings of the gearbox to solve the starter postions.  But, the real reason I am answering this thread, WHY do want to go from a 5 speed to 4 speed box?  Without checking the gear ratios of the boxes, the different ratios would mean different shift points and hence driving would change too.

JMKOZ
JMKOZ's picture

Rakesh is correct. The 4 speed box should have a removable bell housing but it means you would also then have to source a bell-housing to suit the 230. The Cardan shaft (between gearbox and transfer case) would also need to be extended to cater for the different sized gearboxes.

If you are considering this change due to an ailing Getrag Gearbox then why not move to 'ironbox' 5 speed (do a search and you should find plenty of info on this site).

FWIW 
John