Can I get more power from my 300GD or change engine

19 replies [Last post]
ponslowcole
ponslowcole's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi everyone. I have just had delivered my first G wagen. It is a 300GD 1990 with a genuine 72k. Its very tidy and original condition. It is for my wife who has a 'big' birthday coming up!!! I want to strip it and completly refurb it inside and out. The only problem i can see is that it does not have much power. Is there another engine that will drop in without to much trouble. I own a garage and MOT station in New Malden so its not a problem for it to be done?

LEEU
LEEU's picture
Re: Can I get more power from my 300GD or change engine

You can fit a turbo, there are a few around.

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

LEEU -  You and your bloody turbo's........ when will you learn?????

No, what he really needs (and what his wife would love) is a V8 500!..... nuff said really....

Spider1V

ponslowcole
ponslowcole's picture

Would love to put a 500 in it but saw another thread where the chap gave up after 30 weeks as it was phisicaly to big to go in.
If i put a turbo on it would we have to uprate the fuel pump to cope with it can we just bolt it on. Any details please on type of turbo would be most welcome. Im taking it home tonight for her to drive before i start anything!!!!

ponslowcole
ponslowcole's picture

Would love to put a 500 in it but saw another thread where the chap gave up after 30 weeks as it was phisicaly to big to go in.
If i put a turbo on it would we have to uprate the fuel pump to cope with it can we just bolt it on. Any details please on type of turbo would be most welcome. Im taking it home tonight for her to drive before i start anything!!!!

dentsmithy
dentsmithy's picture

No turbos on a 617 engine - it's a disaster waiting to happen.
Try a 603 or 606 engine from a 124 saloon - 603 easiest conversion
Try a 2.9 sprinter engine - best option for power

ponslowcole
ponslowcole's picture

Will any of those go onto the same box?

dentsmithy
dentsmithy's picture

The 290 will need to go onto a box from a 230GE or a 240D T1 van but then you are into sorting out ratios which gets protracted.
A 603 will,I think fit on the box you have or you can use the one that comes with the doner engine. Just change the output flange. There is a discussion over on the american P3 forum - search around on there and you will find lots of good info.

Don't want to send you away from the GWOA but the subject has been done to death over there.
Keep us posted.

LEEU
LEEU's picture

Turbo is ok, as long as you keep the pressure low, but then you don’t gain too much, 603 engine and box from a 124 simple, but then I would rather go 300 TD from a 210. That conversion is more or less the same, and I will even sponsor you with the diesel pump you need. Your inset is going to be the same, but then you will have a very nice car.

ponslowcole
ponslowcole's picture

Well, this is interesting. Does anyone know what the 0-60 of this  LWB truck should aprox be?
I was taking it home to show my wife to see what her initial impression was and could not believe how slow and underpowered it was. Decided to pull over on the hard shoulder of the M25 and then to do a 0-60 trial. I set off and could not believe the results......42.7 seconds. There must be something wrong surely?

dentsmithy
dentsmithy's picture

Yes, probably something wrong, but you'realways going to be dissapointed with the 617 engine coupled to a Getrag gearbox.
I've never had a 3 litre but my 240 is much better than that.
My 230 does 17seconds ( slightly faster than Spyder1V's V8)

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Not sure, as to what is happening here, I was replying to the thread from ponslowcole but I see another thread showing now.

Any way I will continue.  You can get more power but please do your research carefully and take your time before rushing into any thing.  Am I assuming correctly that you have a W460, and is it a manual or automatic?

There is a Latvian member who has fitted an OM605 engine (5 cylinder) from an E300TD, he has married that to a sprinter manual gearbox, but currently awaiting to fit an injector pump off, of a M/Benz 190TD. 

When he has his 190 injector pump fitted, I will ask him to provide acceleration times.  He has spoken about fitting an injector pump re-calibrated by Myna, reckons on increasing his output from some 87 PS to near over 100 PS, some guys out there are talking figures of achieving 300PS.

I am am spectacle about these figures on the bases if so much power could be got by re-calibrating the injector pump alone, then why would Mercedes spend millions on re-designing newer generation engines to fit their vehicles?

If you are considering turbo-charging, you want to consider including an intercooler, this would help achieve additional power but more importantly, help in reducing the thermal stresses to the engine under prolonged conditions.  No point, in my opinion to go for a low pressure boost, for the money spent, all you get is slight but un impressive acceleration and when you are at hills the vehicle does not slow down, if that's what you after all is fine but if you are spending money and that's all you get, it is a poor return.

Think carefully, but enjoy what you have and then take it a step at a time,

hus55
hus55's picture

hi there, and welcome to proper 4x4 ownership ! 

you have lots options for increasing power of your 300GD. firstly, whats your budget ? looking back at christo's comments during his  diesel conversion it seems that theres not many mechanics that can undertake these conversions.... make sure you find a competent mechanic and investigate whats needed before you even start ! 

your first option is to improve the power of the existing engine. give it a proper service. change ALL fluids inc transfer, gerabox, engine and hyraulics. chances are all your fuel filters are clogged if its taking you 1/2 minute to reach 60 !!!!!!!  22 seconds shlould see to that !  replace the airfilter too, its often overlooked. a k&n filter and snorkel will make alot of difference to start with.better breathing and cooler external air induction is an instant improvement !

overhaul, or even cheaper, just replace your injector nozzles. these guys are brilliant and cheap too !

http://www.dieselkontor.de/

your existng fuel pump can be tweaked to give you 115-120 horsepower ! thats the same output as the factory 617a . this is best achieved by sending it myna as mentioned or sending the pump to  the swedish pump expert Goran [dieselmeiken] . hes good  !!! check him out on youtube..  so you see this is one solution for power increase on the original engine without damaging it by turbo charging [whic is not healthy for many many reasons ! and dont forget that in the uk an original G is worth more during resale than a converted one... all in all a realistic 120 bhp in total can be reached.

if you want to change the engine i suggest you nick spiders G500 and fit his V8 !!! hahaha....

the  easiest conversion and i reckon best all rounder is gonna be the 2.9 td engine as fitted to the musso. code number is 662 as opposed to 602 as fitted in the W461 and sprinter vans. its a 5 cylinder so you will not need to alter the shafts. the engine mounts should cause a poblem, the fuel pump is mechanical, the engine is much much smoother and economic on fuel than the original engine you have and the 603 and 606 and 606a engine options which all entail lots of obstacles along the way... 

i recently sold a 662 to a friend here in n cyprus. it went in quite easy. only needed the oil sump changed with one from a w124 or w201 saloon mercedes. the oil dipstick also needed relocating. not an isuue really..

you original engine can be tweaked to reach 120. the 662 is naturally 120 bhp. the same tweaks by goran or myna will see this engine reaching 160 bhp quite comfortably.

a w124 5 speed is easily found on ebay for silly money and will comfortably handle all the horses you throw at it !

your call really...

but if you really want power AND economy the 606a as fitted to my cabrio is monstrously fast !! wheelspins are easily achieved [and my tires are 35x12,50x15's !!] but its a long road to complete and not cheap either....

if you ask my advice , service your engine, do the tweaks and enjoy it for a year or 2. if you still have enthusiasm for the G then look at option 2 [662]  . if you want to go full monty , send the G here  a 606a  conversion and i can it all done for  you in a month

good luck.

rgds hus

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

'My 230 does 17seconds ( slightly faster than Spyder1V's V8)'

With all this technical talk of engines and the like it seems as if some member's have become delusional....... LMAO 17 seconds.......... in a 500 you are there and back again and making tea in that time......:)

Spider1V

Gilsteamin
Gilsteamin's picture

Hey up. I’ve got. 1990 W460 300GD with a OM662 TD swap, so I suppose technically it could be called a 290....... Not sure of the 0-60 but it gets there by pay day. I’m gonna give it a full no holds barred service as well as add the KnN filter. Runs well as it is and I also have an extra but larger cooling fan on the rad. Then it will be fuel pump tweaking time. Buzz me in a few months to see how I get on. 

Jdring
Jdring's picture
Location: South of Oxford, UK. 87' 230GE SWB Manual, 89' 230GE SWB Auto, 2012 G350Bluetec LWB

This is adding life to an old thread - you originally bought this G in 2012.

It looks like quite the work horse, with snorkel and with replacement bumpers.

Good luck with your pump tune.   Someone else asked about 300GD as an engine and I think your transplant is the solution :)

prwales
prwales's picture

This is a very old thread with lots of old names on it that makes me wonder where they are and if they still have their G-Wagen's

scouse g
scouse g's picture

I done a few 662 conversions 

Jdring
Jdring's picture
Location: South of Oxford, UK. 87' 230GE SWB Manual, 89' 230GE SWB Auto, 2012 G350Bluetec LWB

scouse g wrote:

I done a few 662 conversions 

Sweet.  Looks nice.  What is the BHP of something like this?

scouse g
scouse g's picture

About 130