ATF oil gearbox 5spd 230ge

3 replies [Last post]
a.t.h.watts
a.t.h.watts's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

HI all, not got around to purchasing a workshop manual for the G wagen as yet. Was hoping you could help me. I need to know the quantity of fluid needed to fill the gearbox, and the location of the fill hole on the casing. Hoping this should cure the awkard gear changing Im experiencing!  are workshop manuals available through the GWOA website?

dentsmithy
dentsmithy's picture
Re: ATF oil gearbox 5spd 230ge

You need 1.6l , sorry, can't remember which side the filler is on but you will need the 1litre bottles with the pull out spout to get the ATF in or one of these cheap syphons will make life easier.

mgrays
mgrays's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

awkard gear changing = adjust the gear linkage from under shifter to the gearbox levers on side of the box.

First redo the bushes at gearbox and shifter ends of the rods, probably need some new clips as they tend to be rotten. I actually pulled the whole shifter out from inside car but you have to pull central console and at least one front seat to do this. When it is apart you can see about the 3mm rod placement mentioned in paragraph below but here are the parts..get them from Dealer
http://fourbyfourclub.com/W460Transmission/W460TransmissionBushing.htm

You fit a 3mm rod through the shifter levers that hang down from the shifter .. you can see the 2 notched plates that hang down either side to hold it rigid. When this rod is in place you then take each rod out at the gearbox and adjust it until it slips nicely into the lever on the side of the gearbox. Do this for all 3 rods.

Filler is fairly obvious on the side.. I went synthetic as it takes a lot to warm up the transmission in these cars...trouble is that it was thinner so probably leaked out quicker .. so keep an eye on the level as these 5 speeds are weak but at least a petrol will not rattle as much as my diesel did!

This is the really good fix for the bushes;http://mercedes-190.co.uk/topic/217321/1/

Cannot remember the oil change volume but just buy a 4-5 litre can .. just as cheap as 3-4 seperate 1 litre ones and you have some left over to top it up.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Hope this is of help. The syringe can be bought from local market, tools stalls, usually at around £10.00 or so.

Cheers,