Alternative ' Easy FIT' turbo diesels in place of a 603 Turbo??

6 replies [Last post]
montreal
montreal's picture

As the title says. I've got to fit new engine. In reality a 606 is alot of work for me at the moment and I want to get back on road cheaply. I'm considering re-manufacturing my 603 turbo so it starts from zero, wear wise.

But what other options are there that offer same or more power more torque than a 603 turbo. Must be able to drop straight in without modifying anything?

I'm thinking 662 turbo Musso or 602. I dont know specs on these but want problem free options. My cars LHD so easy to fit turbo's. Want to run it on a veg oil mix one day. Want simple mech pump. Have a 603 turbo pump obviously and a 722 auto box. Is this 4 or 5 speed?

Should I get a new 603 turbo or something else???

D

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: Alternative ' Easy FIT' turbo diesels in place of a 603 ...

Why don't you just drop a 603 N/A engine in, must be enough around , will be slower but fit straight in, apart from exhaust downpipe but will give you some reliabilty and may be the incentive to convert to a 606 at a later stage, I think the Musso engine will a be a lot harder to  fit as you will have to bring the gearbox forwards, creating more work

grazza
grazza's picture

How about a OM605 fitted with a mechanical pump off a OM602/662 ?

Then you have 20-valve crossflow goodness with the 5-cyl format.

Not sure if the pump will deliver enough fuel, might nede to be wound out a bit (which you would do anyway)

Those OM605's are everywhere arent they ?

mercfan
mercfan's picture

But what other options are there that offer same or more power more torque than a 603 turbo. Must be able to drop straight in without modifying anything?

The answer is that NOTHING else apart from just another 603 will fullfil these requirements.

Save the money you'd spend on something else and spend it on your new 603 turbo. If you can afford it, get an EGT gauge and ceramic coating. Ceramic will make it last forever on standard boost and a very long time on higher boost. And the EGT gauge will tell you when you're near the limit.

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture
Mercfan is right As you have the parts why not stick a non turbo 603 in and use you maniffolds turbo and pump ?. Axel fettled one a while back which went to Australia and continues to run well ANYTHING else is A levels , money and a big time commitment Remember a lot of the pleasure in having a G is driving it !
tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture

Mercfan is right As you have the parts why not stick a non turbo 603 in and use you maniffolds turbo and pump ?. Axel fettled one a while back which went to Australia and continues to run well ANYTHING else is A levels , money and a big time commitment Remember a lot of the pleasure in having a G is driving it !

montreal
montreal's picture

Thanks for your thoughts gents. I'm on the. 606 turbo road now.  603 turbos out. I've got a nice digital gauge going in the dash to monitor Egt and boost. Long way to go...