After 10+ Years, I have my 500 GE.

39 replies [Last post]
H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

So, after 10 years, I finally have my 500 GE.

This is a long story, but a good read.

I first became interested in the G Class around the year 2001, after hearing that MBUSA was planning on bringing them into the United States officially. I have always liked offroad cars and was getting tired of driving a Hummer H1 "daily".
I love my H1, but it is not a "daily driver". And neither is my LM002.
I have had, and always loved, Mercedes-Benz. I am truly a believer that they build the finest motor cars in the world.

The acquisition of the 500 GE would have done the SLML (Sports Leicht Market Letter) Proud. It was a 2 year process.

But first and foremost, I wish to thank some G friends of mine for their help, patience, and assistance...(The below listed names are in no particular order). Some are members on the Benzworld G Forum or PointedThree G Forum, in addition to being GWOA members. 

Thomas Heisig (TH) in Munich: For putting the 500 GE "poison" in my ear over 10 years ago. The "bug" to have a 500 GE never left. And I still have every one of your emails detailing your reasons for why I should go for a 500 GE "to get old with".

Dutch: The G friend I have known the longest, for the technical advice and shrewd transfer case recommendations, and general support.

AGuess: Half of the reason why I bought a 500 GE was because of you. We became friends over 500 GE discussions and happen to have many other interests in common.

Darren & Denise Collie / Collie Autoworks: Darren / Collie Autoworks in San Rafael, California is the most meticulous mechanic I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and doing business with. Darren was responsible for the Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) on my 500 GE. I have never seen a more jam packed shop with happy customers. He literally had 20 customers walk in and out while I was at his facility. If you see a G in California, you need a thorough PPI, Collie Autoworks is excellent. Every customer was all smiles. Amazing establishment. Really tops. Wish we had something similar on the East Coast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn6z5r93efU

Mike Serpe: Who works together and is a friend of Collie Autoworks, for his dissection of the transfer case and expert recommendations on moving forward with the repair/replacement procedure.

Kurt, Franz, Alois, Stefan, and Karin in Graz for "factory direct" technical support and assistance, along with providing parts to me via DHL.

Andy Hornby: My Scottish friend who had a 500 GE for nearly 4 years who was very familiar with the vehicle and gave me advice.

Mortinson: My Spanish friend who has a friend with a 500 GE that he was very familiar with.

Harald / 4x4ABC: For his excellent web information on the 500 GE (his site and a French website are the only ones that cover this special model) and for the Transfer Case repair CD.

Ben A. (SilverSurfer, with Kleeman/Brabus G Cabrio): For the long friendship surrounding our mutual LM002 and Gwagen ownership along with similar interests in owning rare automobiles and expert transactional advice for my "Purple People Eater".

G-AMG: For WIS and EPC assistance and our "trade" for maintenance products. This is the most meticulous "read the manufacturer spec sheets" person I have ever met, aside from myself. Bravo!

Ilya: My Russian 500 GE friend, for advice on potential paint problem areas and the pictogram/photo shop emails back and forth.

Hans Hehl: Another German G expert, for transfer case advice. He also wrote a damn good G book.

Background: Circa 2002, I decided I wanted a Gwagen as a semi-daily driver. I had read the news articles and saw that MB USA, LLC had finally allowed the G to be brought in and sold alongside their S-Class and CL-Models, without fear of the G tarnishing the luxury value of their sedans and saloons.

I test drove a lovely Black Opal 2002 G500 that was new from my local Mercedes-Benz dealer and really enjoyed the test drive. Shortly thereafter, the owner of the dealership, a friend of mine, called me and offered me the 2003 AMG G55 that he bought for his wife. She hated the suspension and was done with it after 300 miles. He needed to get rid of it and I bought it. Brilliant Silver Metallic, it was excellent, made great exhaust sounds, and had good reliability, after transfer case control unit TSBs were addressed. But somehow, the Emails from Thomas H. in Germany haunted me and I kept looking at 500 GEs.

It must have been a combination of the paint, and rarity, that did it for me. I really liked the paint. Typically, the 500 GE was painted Amethyst Blue Metallic. However, in the 70 or so 500 GEs I have seen for sale (ALL FACTORY 500 GEs), about 10% were also painted in a "Forest Green", "Anthracite", "Silver" or "Tan" colour scheme for customers that did not want the special "Amethyst Blue Metallic" paint. I reiterate, it is possible to have a 500 GE from factory that was NOT amethyst blue metallic. That being said, I really loved the special paint colour. And the interior, bi-colour black and grey leather. It oozed 1980s luxury and excess. I am also a collector. The main caveat that I use to evaluate an acquisition is that the object must be irreplaceable (or nearly irreplaceable) because the manufacturing process and craft that was used to make it no longer exists in the same form today. This is what makes something unique.

Many have argued that the build quality of 1990s G Class models surpasses that of current models. I believe this assessment to be correct. I also believe that as a result of accountants and shareholder value, it will be hard for Daimler to return to their 1980s-esque quality levels of production.

I really loved the AMG G55, but wanted something to "get old with" that would not box me in with computers, etc...The 500 GE fit this bill, while being rare. If they get rid of gasoline, I can run CNG or propane, or whatever. It was a simple vehicle, free of the fiberoptics and canbus networks that are found on "modern" models.

My choices were obviously limited, and I looked in Germany for a while at several. But you really take a huge risk dealing with RIs (Registered Importers), as so few cars are imported these days, they tend to make their money up on the few jobs that they do have. Without the ability to quote a firm fixed price on conversion, I passed, and waited. And waited. Until finally, a 500 GE came up for sale...

To Be Continued....

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture
Re: After 10+ Years, I have my 500 GE.

Picking up where I left off on the 500 GE story....

Around this same time that I became determined to own a 500 GE, Daimler Benz began with the policy of not allowing parts for "Grey Market" cars to be exported outside the European Union.

This initially concerned me, along with all of the rest that is associated with "Grey Market" cars. I am (currently) relieved that competent U.S. dealers have been both happy to and able to order parts for Euro Spec cars without much hassle and decent delivery times. We will see how long this continues for. **Please keep in mind, my 500 GE is currently located in South Florida, so I must use U.S. distribution networks for parts**.

My other concern with a Grey Market purchase was the mileage of the vehicle. I had heard from several brokers in Germany that sold cars to the U.S. that, at one time, it was not against German law to reset the mileage on odometers. I (recently) discovered that tampering with the odometer is indeed against German law, however, a number of brokers have the nasty habit of "playing with" the odometer. I have never heard or seen of a RI (Registered Importer) doing this, but they often receive the cars after being in the hands of a broker, and some brokers are unscrupulous.

Thankfully, one of my companies manufacturers for Daimler-Benz/Mercedes and, with a call to the VIP center in Germany, and a VIN Code, I was able to receive kilometer verification along with the last service detail.

I was truly in luck when I called, because Mercedes was just about to bin these records. They only keep them for a set period of time and I was just on the cusp of making it.

This was a relief and it sure beats looking at accelerator and brake pedal, and front cross member, to determine actual wear and mileage.

But then I wondered to myself...."Would it be possible to get the complete history of this 500 GE"?

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

So, picking up where I left off...

I was first able to get a mileage report from Germany when the car went into a service center to have the battery changed.

Following this, and, after getting the DOT and EPA paperwork sorted out and confirmed, I hopped on a plane and went to go visit the G.

I had a KBR contractor zip bag filled with stuff. A M117 workshop manual, 2 G books, M117 engine sensor printouts highlighting differences between Euro and US engines. Checklist for pre-purchase inspection, etc...Most importantly, I had 500 GE memorabilia to show the seller, who was also a big collector. An old timer born in the 1930s, I knew he wanted the truck to go to a good home. And it is always up to the buyer to demonstrate an above average level of knowledge and enthusiasm for whatever the object may be that they are interested in acquiring.

I "struck gold" so to say when I saw the truck and found the original service manual with full service stamp history.

In the first page of the service manual, a stamp was placed with the name and phone number of the Mercedes Center that sold and serviced the 500 GE.

I took digital pictures of this to document the information and, when I flew back to S Florida after the PPI, I did some further homework.

I had my local dealer phone the German dealer and request a complete service history on the 500 GE, based on the VIN.

I was extremely fortunate that these records still were in existence, and was gratified to see what was returned on the service history side....Only 7 minor Warranty Claims since the 500 GE was new. And I knew it was a one owner car.

This was all very promising and demonstrated to me that it did not start out life "as a lemon".....

Very pleased with the progress of my due diligence, another item had always stuck in the back of my mind...

When the 500 GE was "pre sold" (none were offered for sale from new on the dealership floor, they were offered on a special order basis to owners of the S Class and G Class as an exclusive model), upon the signing of the contract, a sterling silver Tie Pin with the 500 GE silhouette was given to the new owner, along with a sterling silver plaque with the 500 GE engraved, numbered "book matched" with the sales order.

I had hunted for these items for years and had never seen them turn up for sale...As a one owner car, I then began to wonder, would it be possible to find the original owner, to ask perhaps, if they had saved these special items.

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

On the 27th of September, I called the (original) German owner of my 500 GE in Hamburg, Germany. Hamburg is a very well-to-do city, and I knew it was a multiple Mercedes family. All good, in terms of establishing that the vehicle was well looked after.

I made it along briefly in German, before realizing that he did not speak English. We parted ways on the phone in the most respectful manner possible, considering two different dialects were being used....I had to switch over to English part way through the brief call.

Undeterred, I spent an hour writing a letter in English to Mr and Mrs previous owner, and subsequently translating the letter into German. I ended up finding their fax number on the internet. Sheer luck. Of all the gin joints in all the world.

I faxed them a nicely written letter in German, and, the following day, on the 29th of September, I called back.

The German husband and wife were BLOWN AWAY. I had found THEIR car.

They had sold their car in the year 2000 to Mercedes Niederlassung Munchen, a dealer that I have also done business with (remember, I have a company that manufactures for Daimler and Mercedes). I even knew the salesmen they dealt with, Oliver Hufnagel.

After brief introductions, the husband put me on the phone with his wife, whom the 500 GE belonged to (!). She loves the G-Klasse, and ended up replacing her 500 GE with a G400 CDI CABRIO (!).

After a nice chat, we exchanged emails, and I received this lovely message from the Missus. Remember, this was HER car.

Hello "H1LM002G55",

Ill write you from my little daughter´s account M*******. You can answer us over her account.
this is really amazing with your cars. we think our car found a good home:))
next time when you come to germany you happily invited to our home close to hamburg to have a look at my G class i drive right now

First, I want to answer your questions.

1. The Mercedes never had any technical or mechanical problems.
2. Yes we used to have the Mercedes with Brabus aluminum wheels and Brabus exhaust.
3. The Mercedes was accident free.
4. We still have the tin picture from the 500 special edition.It has a number on it: #61 and there are 500 special editions worldwide. But I never received a tie needle because it was my car and Im a woman.
5. Ill pack together everything what I still have from the Mercedes including the tin picture, etc. and send it to you. But I still have to signs "V8" who belongs to the left and the right side louver from the car. If you like to have them just let me know. We pulled them down because people got jelous driving a car like this in Germany. So they didnt know what car you drive.

Please remember, the above was sent from native German Speakers that live in Germany and they did their best to send an Email in English. Forgive the spelling and grammar errors, please! It is a good story...

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

Shortly thereafter, the daughter emailed me, on the account that Mrs sent me the above message on.

She sent me this:

"When my dad sold the car my mum cried and was really upset. She really loved it and if you want that she still loves the car then you should leave the Brabus accessories But she also said that is now your car and you can do whatever you like to do....

And she painfully forgot about her car in all these years.

So now, when you contact us, she remembered all the funny stories with her car, her kids (us, we are 3 girls, M*****, M**** and me) and dad and we almost laugh every day. Every day she remembers another story and tells us about it Really funny.

I am sure you think I am nuts, but the proof is in the pudding...

Have a look.....

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

So, what you really all want to know about....Driving Impressions:

So far, so good. I really like it.

I do not believe there is a *significant* difference in driveability or performance compared to the G55 (naturally aspirated).

When you open the door to the 500 GE, you get hit with the smell. A lovely smell of 80s Mercedes. Like a W126 S-Class car. My 500 GE smells new still and I love the smell. Quality leather, velour carpet, lots of stuff made in Germany.

Turning over the motor, you are greeted with the subtle rumble of the 2 valve V8 motor. It sort of says, "I have some power, but I am also understated"...the motor at low RPMS sounds better than the G55. But the G55 has much more "midrange sound output" and thrust.

Driving Impressions: When you close the doors, you have to slam them. They feel more substantial than the G55s doors. This is a proper Mercedes. Nothing rattles or shakes. The cabin is very quiet. You get wind noise at 75-80 miles per hour, but you get that in a G55. The suspension is much better than the early AMG sport suspension fitted to the G55. And the 500 GE has an AMG suspension, complete with HWA part numbers for shocks, etc...It is firm, yet not crashingly so as in the G55. It is a very, very comfortable ride. As if you are wafting in a proper S-Class.

The transmission is a 4 speed, acceleration and power from the motor are quite good, probably as a result of the gearing.

Air Conditioning performance has been great so far, not that it is cold in South Florida. Heater has also been great, along with heated seats.

My only gripes:

1. The arm rests are too short and are pretty useless. You essentially rest your elbow on the front edge of the arm rest. Your forearm never really touches it.

2. The electric seats do not allow for adjustment of height of seat base up and down. I wish I could lower the seats or raise the steering column slightly. I like sitting lower in the vehicle and have the G55 seats in the lowest height position. The steering column on the 500 GE is not adjustable up and down whatsoever.
I guess this is a mixed blessing, as there are no extra electric motors to fail, etc...

3. The 500 GE has disc brakes in the front and drum brakes in the rear. Does not replicate G55 brake feel.
The 500 GE is a heavy truck, and it feels a little under braked. They built the 500 GE with drum brakes in the rear as, when offroad, drum brakes do a better job of "holding" the vehicle than disc brakes.
I have seen at least two Japanese 500 GE owners fit AMG G55 brakes and calipers to the front of their 500 GEs. It is a little extreme. And it is not a huge issue.

4. I have a leather airbag steering wheel in the 500 GE. I don't use the multitude of buttons that the G55 has. But I did like being able to increase/decrease audio volume and change CD tracks with the G55 steering wheel, since I do not listen to radio.

Modifications I have made thus far:

Removed "Yellow" marker lights and exchanged for "Clear" marker lights.
I saved the original "Yellow" marker lights as they are part of the history of the vehicle and part of how it was configured.

The German owner had fitted a Sony CD/Cassette deck receiver with 10 disc changer. The changer was mounted in the cargo area, on the right fender well. The CD changer looked out of place as it was exposed on top of the fender well.

I removed this and installed a Nakamichi MB-X CD player with integrated 6 disc CD changer. It also has an external 24 bit Digital/Analog Converter. Illumination matches Mercedes Benz dash illumination perfectly.
Nakamichi builds OEM look, audiophile grade receivers.

I also needed to change the Sony CD/Cassette deck receiver because the tuner would pick up German frequencies, but not American radio frequencies (or only part of the spectrum).

Maintenance items I have done thus far, which will be part of a post on the DIY forum:

1) Air Filter
2) Oil Change and Oil Filter (Currently running high zinc Amsoil 10W-40 full synthetic for next 1000 miles. This is a thinner oil than required. Amsoil 10W40 is highly detergent as well. I am using this in preparation for a switch to Amsoil 15W40 AME or Mobil One 15W50...both full synthetic.
3. Transmission pan and filter change. Drained torque converter, changed filter, fitted new transmission gasket seal, fitted new transmission pan, added magnet to transmission pan. Currently running Red Line Synthetic ATF, DII specification. This is what is called for on 722.3 transmissions from Mercedes and Red Line is the only United States producer of a Synthetic DII ATF from my research.
4. Changed Brake Fluid. Ordered from MB dealer.
5. Changed V Belts
6. Changed Fuel Filter
7. Flushed windscreen washer / headlamp washer system and filled with MB Summer Windshield Washer Concentrate

I still have left to do:

Grease the grease fittings (ie Prop Shafts/Slip Joints/U Joints)
Front Axle Service
Rear Axle Service
Transfer Case drain and fill
Cooling System Flush and Fill
Power Steering System Flush and Fill (Interestingly, it does NOT look like the 500 GE has a power steering system filter)
*Refresh grease in Homokinetic Joint
* Check grease Level and Refresh grease in front axle swivel housings

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

I was initially not real interested in the Brabus accessories fitted to my 500 GE.

However, once I had translated the German Title (Fahrzeugbrief), I noticed that the title made mention of the Brabus wheels AND the exhaust system, and noted that they were fitted. This was typed onto the title!

That, and out of respect for the prior owner, who wished that her vehicle stay configured with the Brabus parts, means I will keep them.
In her opinion, Brabus is more "exclusive" than AMG, because AMG is "only" the Mercedes "house brand".

I think it is pretty interesting that a German woman has had both of her G-Class cars Brabus fitted (as I mentioned, she has a G400 CDI Cabrio that is all Brabus currently) and helps to establish the provenance and "aura" of the prior owner.

This was a well loved truck. I think the stainless steel coat rack that her husband had fitted for his suits and the Brabus parts really demonstrate that the original owner knew what they had and treated it as such.

A vintage Brabus catalog that I have states the following of the Monoblock III Wheel.

"Die Bodyguards" - Brabus "Special Vehicle Program" catalog page describing their armouring program (gepanzert/sondershutz) for the G-Klasse

"The safety vehicle's heavy weight makes the Monoblock III wheel with 1000 Kilogram approved wheel load and defined emergency running properties recommendable"

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

On 9-January 2012, I was told a letter came for me from Germany.

Ends up being from the original owner of my 500 GE.

"Hello H1LM002G55,

I send you the "Datenkarte" from the 500 GE. I hope that's what you need. I'm very happy that my once beloved car came to you and lives now in Miami under the sunny sky. Maybe one time we have time to visit you over there. I've never been to Miami, a lot of other places in the USA, but never to Miami. We only knew Miami from watching it on TV. My English is not very good anymore I hope you understand everything. My daughter is a lot better in this!

Many greetings from the very rainy "Germany"

Yours, A" 

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

Note in first picture the Bluish tint to the paint under shade. In direct sunlight, it looks Purple. At dusk, it fades to Black...

Note in second picture the bright red "GWOA" (G-Wagen Owner's Association U.K.) windscreen badge on driver's side, lower corner.

Have to represent GWOA on the other side of the pond! 

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

Out in the South Florida Everglades...Notice the near black appearance of the paint at late afternoon...

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

As described earlier, the 500 GE, upon signing the original sales contract at the dealer, was presented with a silver artist's engraving of the vehicle numbered in sequence with the limited edition production. I have the original artist's engraving and frame.

The 500 GE was also presented with a sterling silver tie pin, which Harald @ 4x4ABC so kindly provided me with.

I ordered a matching black anodized aluminum frame from Germany, the same as what was used to frame the original artist's engraving, and had my archival expert frame the tie pin with suede/velvet tie pin pouch along with a picture of the factory demo 500 GE, and a Mercedes pin.

Both frames match and will look great together. The original framed artist's engraving and the "accessories" frame.

Here is the "Accessories" frame.

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

Framed "en suite"...the original silver artist's engraving numbered to my 500 GE along with the "Accessories" frame with sterling silver tie pin suede/velour pouch, and Mercedes star lapel pin.

Just prior to hanging.

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

Cabin Picture...

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

Enjoying life in South Florida under the sunshine and palm trees...

Brutus
Brutus's picture

G wagen fever!!!!!!!!!!!!! love it

Audiominx
Audiominx's picture

That is almost a novel! There's enthusiasm for you. Looks good. Enjoy. Just don't grow old too quickly

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

H1LM002G55

What a great story, like the vehicles themselves owners can be tenacious and dedicated and this story just typifies this! It made excellent reading and its just great that you had so much help from other G Wagen owners. Out of interest the LM002, was that the lambo? If so would really love some pictures if you had them, that’s one vehicle I would consider changing my G for, just love the looks and noise!

The fact you have a 500, probably the best engine one can have in a G, raises your stock in my world! I hope you have many years of use and fun in it, as we have (I have a 2001 G500) and owned it since 2007. The effortless power, the off roading capabilities as well as sheer presents, always puts a smile on my face when I get in and turn the key :)

Once again many thanks for your post and welcome to the club!

Spider1V

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

Lm002 was indeed the Lamborghini...a rare and unusual breed.....would like to see your fleet in a line up....always liked that model of g...nice to have something  unusual...seems you have a fleet of rare and unusual motors...

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

Hi Lads,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been a GWOA Club Member for over a year but just decided to post.

I became a member as I saw another fellow member on here had a 500 GE once upon a time and he was a great source of information during my due diligence process.

This is probably the best organized owner's organization I have had the pleasure of being a part of.

I wanted the 500 GE for the rarity, and to add it to my collection. 

I have a 1991 LM002, one of the last fuel injected "American" models and a limited edition, *factory painted* Ferrari Fly Yellow Hummer H1 Open-Top. 

Have some other toys, but the ones that I never sell and always keep are the "military cars".

Hoping to get a Defender 110 Crew-Cab one of these days. They are quite rare. I saw a gorgeous one recently on Abu Dhabi plates that was in Doha, Qatar. That would be a real head-turner state-side and just about as rare as the other toys.

One of these days.....

I know I am responsible for the safe-keeping of the 500 GE. There are actually only 300 units that were badged as Mercedes-Benz, as these were intended for the German market only. For markets outside of Germany, from what I am told, the 500 GEs carried Steyr Daimler Puch badging. 

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

Rosso Princess getting the Amsoil treatment...

prwales
prwales's picture

I fell asleep reading it

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

Out playing with the Carrera GT, and pulling range duty on the weekend. LM has a lovely, wilton wool carpeted, sealed storage trunk in the rear bed that is fantastic for carrying toys. Completely lockable as well. 

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

Tis true, there are differences between consumers and connoisseurs. ;) 

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

OK this is has just turned into a porn thread! (G's, Lambo and Guns') :)

What more could a guy want? G Wagen, Lambo LM00 and a collection of H&K's, AK's and M4/AR15's...... will have to retire to my 'fortress of solitude' (the light is brighter in there lol) to study in greater detail. 

Many many thanks, you have (officially) made my day :)

Spider1V

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

you would, you have only just progressed from 'Janet & john' went up the hill :p

Spider1V

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

I will tell you something funny. The "SLR" pictured (Actually, it is a metric FAL) is from Steyr Daimler Puch, an Austrian produced model that is arguably the best of the FALs in terms of build quality and metallurgy. Barrels were hammer forged. You will also see a Steyr pistol on the deck lid. I had to support the Steyr brand, after all, I drive their trucks.  

There are only a handful of LMs in U.K. Last I counted, which was about 5 - 7 years back, there were between 5 and 7. We kind of have an informal global owner's group and keep in touch via phone and email. 

There is a very nice Red (American) fuel injected model running about that belonged to the Defense Minister of the Sultante of Oman. A friend of mine from the RAF actually picked it up in Oman and brought it back home to U.K., where it was privately sold. I was given the gold and enamel key chain to this LM, and I still have it on my keyring.

They only made 301 LMs. None were ever produced for military use, contrary to what is posted on the internet. There are less than 289 that still exist today. 

But back to G-Wagens.

They are much more practical than H1s and LMs. They don't have a clutch that takes 40 pounds of force to actuate. The aircon works, and spare parts are actually available, unlike the LM, where you are extremely hard pressed to find spares. 

prwales
prwales's picture

he makes Mortinson look shy and retireing

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

I am not sure I follow.

Mortinson in Spain I would consider a G friend and I consulted with him on the 500 GE as he too, has a friend with one and he knows the truck. He was also very kind and sent me a German article, I believe from Auto, Motor Und Sport, about the 500 GE. 

amokwa
amokwa's picture

Great post and lovely collection of jeeps, back to the LM for a second, what is the range on a full tank ?

hus55
hus55's picture

great collection you have there !  waht a read up.....

welcome to the club.  [ at least spider has someone on his side when he rambles on about his G500 !]

rgds hus

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

Honestly, I could not tell you. I never actually measured it formally. I estimate that in city traffic, I get between 6 to 8 miles per gallon, U.S. 
It is 6800 pounds, and V12 gasoline powered. What do you expect. 
The Fuel Injected American model have the petrol tanks located outside the cabin, in the rear bed, just below and aft of the rear windscreen. I believe the capacity is 50 Gallons, U.S. 

The earlier carbureted models had the fuel tanks located inside the cab, underneath the rear seats. It is usually advisable to epoxy the tanks so that they do not leak fuel fumes into the cabin, which is very common on the carb models. 

The carb model I believe has a 64 gallon tank. That being said, my friend who owns a Carb LM and a G-Cab referenced above in my first post can only get 48 gallons into his tank in his Carb LM. 

Filling the LM up is a pain. The fuel port is on the passenger side at the C-Pillar. The tank has an anti-contaminents screen that causes the fuel to back up when filling, so you can only pump a bit at a time and let it drain into the tank. It is a good 10 to 15 minute job filling it up. It is possible to remove the fine anti-contaminents screen and is quite easy. I have not gotten around to doing it. I said I would remove it and that was 5 years ago. Go figure. 

The chassis and suspension are a work of art. It is sad about the spare parts situation. The art of ownership is in the ability to have the connections to keep the truck running. Not the initial acquisition price.

That being said, mine is quite reliable. But I do drive it regularly and it has a life. It has been more reliable than my H1s. At speed, the ride is extremely pleasant. The 40 pound clutch, heavy yet delicious gear change, combined with no power steering feel uner 40 miles per hour all contribute to the Lamborghini "aura". It is quite tractor like. 

The Chief Test Driver at Lamborghini in Sant'Agata even showed me a trick. In his words, if you are moving through the parking lot of the garage, you should put LM into "tank mode", by clutching in and selecting low gear. This way, you can let out the clutch. At slow speeds, the engine has more than enough torque to run and you are not having to fight the clutch or feather it at slow speeds. 

You will also notice, for normal street operation, 4x2 mode is recommended for efficiency. 4x4 is engaged by manually locking the front hubs and selecting 4x4 drive mode.

Personally, I quite enjoy driving it and the quirks. Suspension and chassis are the keys to the vehicle. The engine is wrong, but Italians built it. 

Please note the requisite Miami Vice Soundtrack CD on the Zebrawood console. I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord... ;)

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

I thought the British contingent would have appreciated a collector's model, and a proper Gentleman's G. 

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Oh We do, it just some of the Welsh contingent........ (Only joking PRW :) )

Many thanks for the posting of the LM, only ever seen two in the UK and two over in Libya (before the troubles). I know we are a G organisation, but have you every seriously taken your LM off road, say like you would take a G off road?

Spider1V

bigblock
bigblock's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Well he can't really take the GE off road because it only has two diff locks :)

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

The very cheek! ;)

Tis true, it does have only 2 diff locks. I had it "offroad" the second day I had it. However, South Florida is very flat. I drove it on dry grasslands in the Everglades out to a private gun range. Bush and scrublands. 

However, it is all very low and I didn't even receive a "forest pinstripe" in the paint. It is quite pleasant. Nice AMG HWA Bilstein shocks and 17 inch wheels make for a cushioned ride compared to the G55. 

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

It is stated on the internet that the Libyan military bought the LM. That is not true. You may have seen a privately owned commercial model, as a military produced unit never came to fruition for ANY country or its armed forces. 

The creation of the LM was actually the result of a tender put forward by the Royal Saudi Land Forces, whom required a vehicle for border patrol operations in desert terrain, and Lamborghini's subsequent response to that tender, of which they were the sole respondent and offeror (!) at the time. In my eyes, testament to the engineering prowess of Lamborghini and the multitude of talents the firm had. And also the reason I won't touch Ferrari.  

Sadly, things did not go as planned, and Lamborghini got stuck holding the bag after fronting a considerable amount of monetary and engineering effort on the project. Left with 301 bodies (the LM is built from a solid tubular space frame, in Countach fashion), they made the decision to cut their losses and tried to recoup what they could by offering what they had to the commercial market. 

I have spoken at length to the LM project manager about this, both in Italy and whilst he was visiting me in South Florida. This same man also doubles as the chief test driver and loves the vehicle. 

I have an ex- Saudi owned truck that came to me with just 11,000 Kilometers some years ago. It is titled as a 1990 in the U.S. as that was the year it was homologated, but it is actually a 1991 production. 

I have driven the LM offroad. Again, the suspension and the chassis are miracles of engineering. It is a little scary without spare parts, but it is extremely pleasant. In African type bush terrain, or in desert, best described by he Middle-East / North Africa region, I would prefer the LM to the G or Hummer H1. Aside from parts supply and niggly issues that result from Italian engineering. It is challenging to drive. You can't throw the keys to the valet and have them drive it. You have to be careful as there are no spares. Very interesting vehicle and modern by today's standards in terms of mechanical engineering thought and overall design aesthetics. 

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

The Naked LM. Note the Countach like construction via space frame. It is a serious piece of art work.

The angle at which the doors are placed and how they open against the body is nearly as beautiful as the Diablo door-to-side mirror "tear drop", which is arguably Diablo's prettiest curve.

Theo
Theo's picture

"However, once I had translated the German Title (Fahrzeugbrief), I noticed that the title made mention of the Brabus wheels AND the exhaust system, and noted that they were fitted. This was typed onto the title! ''

If not factory approved it is a legal requirement that these modifications are being mentioned in the Fahrzeugbrief, otherwise the car would not be road legal in Germany.  From a collectors point of view the car is original as delivered by the factory (but having read how diligently you proceeded I assume you know that).

Great collection of cars; the enthusiasm for the buying process seems to be as great as the enjoyment of driving the cars; driving the LM regularly is the brave and admirably thing to do, I used to own an Espada and have experienced the spare part pain.

H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture

Yes, I had forgotten about that. But I understand that the TUV has oversight on modified parts. I have all TUV Paperwork from Germany for the 500 GE as well as all of the annual inspection papers, etc...When I contacted the prior owner, the woman who owned the car was typical of German women, and a meticulous record keeper. She was kind enought to send me her binder with all of the 500 GE's original paperwork. She herself had ordered these Brabus parts. I actually have 3 original sales orders for the 500 GE as she kept adding accessories and options. 

I will leave the Brabus parts on the 500 GE as she asked me to do so and  I want to respect her wish. 

You are correct, the "art of the deal" is just as fun as driving and enjoying the vehicle for me. I love good stories also. I just completed a 5 hour road trip in the 500 GE and was pleased with how well it performed. It isn't as fast as the G55, but the ride is much more comfortable and it has more than enough power. 

Thank you for understanding what is, for me, a passion. 

amokwa
amokwa's picture

Thanks, very informative info on the LM.