ADVENTURE OVERLAND - Whilton Mill, Northants 6-7 Oct 2012

12 replies [Last post]
TomMcG
TomMcG's picture

A big new outdoor event has just been launched!

Entitled ADVENTURE OVERLAND it aims to span the entire overland and adventure travel scene from all-wheel-drive trucks to 4x4's, off-road dirt bikes to tourers, mountain bikes to tandems, adventure sports in the UK to treks, expeditions and explorations in far flung foreign lands.

It also incorporates an element that's linked to all these forms of travel - bushcraft - something that has been neglected in the 4x4 market up until now; not any more!

In a nutshell, it's an event that has never been held before.

The venue's excellent (somewhere new and fresh yet still central), the prices for day visitors, campers & traders are fair and ‘down to earth’ with advance-booking discounts ensuring everyone can afford to attend, the time of year is still mild enough for camping, and importantly, it doesn't clash with any other show.

Check out the website at www.adventureoverlandshow.com and let me know what you think … constructive criticism always welcome!

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND - Whilton Mill, Northants 6-7 Oct 2012

still tryimng to up the game of the 4x4 show world i see TOM, i think shows have had there day now, not enough people throught the door anymore.

TomMcG
TomMcG's picture

Yep, still trying to change the world. It's a while now since those Weston Park and Trentham Garden shows. They were different what with Mud Runs and racing and off-roading in Trentham's quarry - not forgetting the early days of the GWOA of course with their display. Ahhhhh, those were the days!

Got to agree with you about the 'ordinary' 4x4 shows. Too expensive and all too much the same.  (£15 day admission for adults, even kids are a tenner - disgusting   but then again venues do cost a fortune. I actually said in 2010 that I wouldn't run any more shows for that very reason. However, I have always wanted to organise an 'overland travel type show', then a venue became
available at a reasonable rate which made it possible - simple as that.

As usual I want to introduce something different to this event, hopefully folk will see that and support it. They'd better, otherwise I'll have to get a real job! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

Those were the days indeed, but even Devon 4x4 don't take any stuff for sale to there shows, what with the Internet now, hope it all goes well but I think you will need to get a new job, even I have given up 4x4 due to running costs, I had 3 once, now im selling my one and only 4x4, just too expensive to run, even just at weekends.

dentsmithy
dentsmithy's picture

Sounds worth a try, I think i'll book a trade stand for our Morocco stuff.

TomMcG
TomMcG's picture

Have to bring your own sand though smithy!

Memories of Weston Park ...

dentsmithy
dentsmithy's picture

Not worried about the sand Tom it's the camels that might be a problem;)

TomMcG
TomMcG's picture

You'd never believe it, but at a 4x4 event I organised at Towcester Racecourse we had camel racing especially for the day visitors and campers. Crazy mad-looking beasts they were, and the camels were even worse!

Sure it's the way I tell 'em.

TomMcG
TomMcG's picture

A new attraction has been introduced at ADVENTURE OVERLAND - www.adventureoverlandshow.com

Being as though Whilton Mill is an internationally acclaimed karting centre that boasts two outdoor karting circuits, due to public demand it has been decided to utilise the tracks as part of the ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW.

To this end, a 2-hr enduro race will be held evening of Saturday 6th October 2012 to establish the first ever “ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW - Enduro Karting Champions”.

The format is simple –

Featuring teams entered from participating clubs, traders and campers at ADVENTURE OVERLAND, after the show officially closes for the day at 17:00 hrs Saturday afternoon, a 20 min. practice session begins on the nursery Mill Circuit, then at 18:00 hrs. up to 20 teams (comprising of 4 drivers per team) will take part in a floodlit 2 hour enduro race on the National Circuit. The winners will be presented with an engraved, ongoing perpetual trophy to be kept by the winning team at their workplace or clubhouse for the following 12 months.

I am here to officially ask - would you like to enter a team? This can either be under the “GWOA” banner or simply as a group of friends … or both of course!

Entry fee is £200 per team, that’s just £50 per person (four drivers are mandatory per team). Thanks to Whilton Mill Karting, this special show fee is 50% off the standard ‘public price’.

The karts are Biz twin-engine 160cc pro-karts. All race overalls and safety gear supplied.

Telemetry - Computerised results analysing your driving performance will be issued at the end of your session. Similar to the printouts a Formula 1 driver will look over after every practice session, this is designed to help improve lap times.

Spectator areas will be available for clients, club mates, friends and family.

It should be noted, the organisers of ADVENTURE OVERLAND make no profit from the race, it is purely provided as a novel additional attraction for the visitors and participants of the show.

Please register your interest below if you would like to become a driver in a team entry.

mark
mark's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

A few of us are meeting at this show.

Camping Friday night, visit show Saturday, then head up to AGM Saturday evening.

www.adventureoverlandshow.com/#

Brutus
Brutus's picture

Im up friday night then camping at the show see you then

TomMcG
TomMcG's picture

It’s all systems go for ADVENTURE OVERLAND this coming weekend – www.adventureoverland.com

Trade stands are completely full up (have been for nearly a month), loads of display vehicles, there’s a full programme of seminars/talks/lectures with some top people giving up their time, the bushcraft demo area has been set up, there’s even a floodlit 2-hr enduro kart race scheduled for the Saturday night – looking good!

Just remember to offer up a prayer to the rain gods to ‘take a weekend off’ for a change!

Camping ‘pay on the day’ still available although filling fast, plus of course day admission 10:00 – 17:00 Sat, 10:00 – 16:00 Sun. £10 adults, children under 16 yrs free.

Me, I’m off to site to start setting up, so see you all this coming weekend … it’s going to be a good ’un!

TomMcG
TomMcG's picture

Did anyone make it to the show? Feedback please … constructive criticism always welcome, it’s how we move forward.

I want ...

[maadmaan10's photos - ta!]