ABS w463

5 replies [Last post]
boris
boris's picture

Hello,
I have a problem with ABS on my 463, 300td, 1997.....ABS does not work...

all wires are ok, rear drums are cleaned.....few moths ago worked fine and one day went off and on few times in one day..
now does not work at all...just turns on yellow indicator light  on the dash

is there any fuses except those on the passenger side?

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: ABS w463

Hi Boris,

could it be that once you have disengaged the Diffs there is a slight vacuum left that keeps the ABS disengaged and the light on?

Spider1V

LEEU
LEEU's picture

This may sound silly, but is it not swithed off? I'm only asking because that has happened to me, cleaned the lot, checked fuses, scratched my head, and then remembered the switch.

boris
boris's picture

thx for tips.... I don't have the ABS switch
when I start the car I get this message (image below)

Does anyone know which relay is for ABS? Where is placed? Part number?

THX

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi Boris
ABS relay located second in from right... top row of the relay panel behind the fuse carrier panel under the glove box ...

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Hello Boris,

A quick test which eliminate the wheel sensors is to test with an ohms meter.  You may have three or four wheel sensors, two at the front and, or either one or two for the rear.

Tracing the front sensor leads, going back to the top of the inner wing is the lead plug, detach this individually.  The wheel side you are working on needs that wheel off the ground, use appropriate axle stands to secure the vehicle and use wheel chocks on the grounded wheels.

Connect the ohm meter leads into the socket coming from the wheel sensor and have an assistant to turn the wheel in its normal direction of rotation. The ohm meter should give a fluctuating reading.  At the moment I do not know the factory parameters of the fluctuations, but as long as the fluctuations occur, the sensor works.  If, you have no fluctuations and get a singular or no reading, that particular sensor is faulty.  It takes only one faulty sensor to knock the ABS system out.

Visually check the ring gear for any cracks or filled up grooves of the ring gear, clean or replace as necessary. The sensor could have a build up of magnetic dirt.  The sensor can be difficult to remove if seized on.  Some seizures can be strong enough, so the result can even be damaging the sensor to remove it.

Hope this helps,

Rakesh.