617 injection pump locking tool

7 replies [Last post]
Farmerpalmer
Farmerpalmer's picture

I am still trying to get the engine back into the 460 and now have a new problem, a significent oil lelak has developed from around the injection pump to block 'o' ring.   The job looks quite strightforward but while I had the injection pump off I thought I would check the static timing of the pump is correct and so need a locking pin.    Does anyone know of a good source or has anyone made one?

I thought there ma be an exisitng thread for this but cannot find anything.

Thanks

James

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: 617 injection pump locking tool

Hi James

I have a copy of the OM616/OM617 Workshop Manual

I have been right through it twice and there is no special tool listed for locking the pump

It does not show either an MB supplied tool or a local supplied or make it yourself option

In fact i cant find a listing for the operation itself?

The manuals are quite comprehensive and even give drawings and dimensions of any tools you need to make yourself

Perhaps a more hands on member like Axel or FCP or Fixwin might answer you question

Gav

Farmerpalmer
Farmerpalmer's picture

Hi Gav

Thanks for the response, let me clear this up.   I use the MB W124 Haynes Manual as the source of  info for the 617 engine and this clearly shows the use of a screw in tool to lock the injection pump for static timing.   I don't know if this is the same as for the G-Wagen.   If not, what do the pages in your  workshop manual say?    Unfortunately I don't have a copy of that.

Cheers

James

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi James

They never fitted the OM617 into the W124 series of cars?

The OM616/ OM617 went in the W123 or earlier

The W124 had the OM601/OM602/OM603 series of engines

Gav

Farmerpalmer
Farmerpalmer's picture

That may well clear up the source of the confusion, however it doesn't answer the original question whihch is how do I lock the injection pump for static timing?

Ta

James

mgrays
mgrays's picture

Short answer would be that you do not...would guess you can get it to TDC and then mark pump position on block and then gears as it comes out.. suspect there will be marks on the gear if you took the vacum pump off to look at the other end. Actual timing is then by spill method i.e. slowly turn engine over and see then it creates a drip from a U tube on injector 1...guess there are marks on flywheel for that timing point. Old School.. not done it but know of it.. someone who has will be along shortly!

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Yep, the manual says most of that ;)

PM me your email

Gav

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi All

this inline pump can be installed 180 degrees out causing  possible damage to the internals when trying to adjust .....