463 or modified 460

12 replies [Last post]
Nikh
Nikh's picture

Hi people been on here for a bit now and managed to get myself a pair of swb 460's but there's something I've been thinking about, soon ill be commuting only 5 miles a day so wanna get rid of my golf tdi daily and drive a g everyday but my issue is do I covert my black 460 to 606 with 6 speed or sell both 460's and buy a 463 lwb as late as i can get. My thoughts are 463 is a little bit more plush but is a converted 460 a stormer with 606 power 

thoughts please guys cheers in advance

cheers nick

prwales
prwales's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: 463 or modified 460
IanA2
IanA2's picture

Be interesting to see what that fetches....it looks good.

prwales
prwales's picture

I am very tempted to have look at it, I have a vague recollection of talking to the late owner in Swansea a couple of years ago but I thought that then it had the om605 2.5 multivalve engine fitted then.

Steve Kirk
Steve Kirk's picture

Has someone grafted a w123 / w124 dash panel into that G ?

prwales
prwales's picture

it looks different doesn't it

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

I can say my only experience of a 606 was when it was following me a few months back, it could keep up with me, which was most annoying wink, and I know he get +22 MPG which is infuriating as I was only getting 17!.angry

Looking over the work done in the engine bay, I was impressed with the craftsmanship and would suggest that you look through the posts on the 606 or speed 6 topics in the technical section. Though a bit thin with the wood and leather, by converting your one, at least you would know the provenience and you could get it spec'ed and mated with a truck you know?

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

Spider1V

axel
axel's picture

why don't you contact gordon pxw , he is going to build swb and lwb 460's with 606 turbo motors to a high spec with swanky trim etc -if you get in quick you could reserve a build slot and have him spec it to your requirements with engine tune/gearbox 6 speed manual etc  - that way then you get exactly what you want and it will of been bodily restored and could be painted in a colour of your choice . if you want to drive a 606 powered g you are very welcome to come and drive my one to see if it is what you want ,the fuel consumption can be up to 30 mpg if you really are gentle with it ,which is not too shabby for a lwb g /most of the time it is 25 mpg -ish still not bad, and you do have some serious power .

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

grumble, grumble..... is still no V8....... grumble laugh

Spider1V

fcp
fcp's picture

Superturbodiesel is where its at Spider wink

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi Ben

You been away?

Long time no post....

fcp
fcp's picture

Start of Roebuck season ;-)

..actually just bee mega busy with newest business (shameless plug www.nowwecomply.com) which has started to build signficant traction in its 2nd year.

Behind the scenes I've been busy with race-preping my truck too.

606 is now stripped, starting work on head (race spings, re-profiled cams, porting) and designing equal-length split maifold  to take the Holset HX35/40 hybrid I'm building (thread over on Superturbodisel ).. Oh and the BMW GS6 Gearbox > Merc Belhousing conversion... I need more hours in the day laugh

I'll post more often, promise.

Nikh
Nikh's picture

Thanks everyone for all the good advice, I'm in the process of selling my little 230ge once that's sold I'll have the cash to collect parts and think about converting the 280 I'm not going to ring anyone till the 230 has gone as I won't have the dough.  Axel thanks for the invite ill be in touch soon re looking over your 606 when the 230 has gone.

I think the conversion route maybe the best as the 460 is Mainly mechanical I.e no electrics so,maybe the best option for future cost and reliability 

Cheers nick