463 300GD alternator

9 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Where would be the best and quickest place to get an exchange alternator for a 463 300GD?  I am told that mine is BLR despite paying someone £80 a week ago to replace a "diode" - they might have checked the rest of it. Heh Ho.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: 463 300GD alternator

I have supplied addresses of some places you could enquire for re-conditioned alternators.

www.westlancsautoelectrics.com

www.startermotorsalternators.com

www.uk.best-price.com

www.lucasee.com

The third address gives more sources for re-conditioners, go through them to find a competitive price.  If these do not work out, let me know, I have a place in Leicester, that I know is reputable.

Additional point when you have sorted your alternator, make sure your battery is fully charged up, this will reduce any stress on the new diodes, preventing any blow out, in case of a flat battery.

alan.holfordwalker (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Rakesh,
I got in touch with one of the folk you suggested who in turn put me on to:
Lancashire Rotating Electrics, Mark Withers - 01772 623600, markwlre@aol.com
He produced a reconditioned unit with a brand new housing and many new bits inside, so in effect new.  The cost including a new fan and pully wheel?  A staggeringly low £105 including VAT and delivery.  I cannot recommend them highly enough.  He did exactly what he said he going to do and had it not been for all the bank holidays it would have arrived within days of ordering.  I don't have shares in the company, but I would suggest that we spread the word!
On a separate note - the rev counter and clock are dead on the 300GD, any ideas?  And how does one get the binnacle out of the dash?
Alan

mgrays
mgrays's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

300GD rev counter .. normally the wires inside the ampulifer which is mounted on the left front inner wing.. a round thing about 2" OD x 2.5" high. Do a search on here .. I did a guide to fixing them.. be warned you need finesse with a soldering iron and patience. Searched here (WHY cannot you not search on usernamer?) and there (3PS) and failed to find it in 15 mins or so.. so may have to repost if you want it.

The instrument binnacle back is held on by the 2-3 screws in the side (460). Easiest to leave the front in place but it does come off too but steering wheel soon gets in the way.

Location of amp;
http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=9111&posts=3&... counter&highlightmode=1#M90510

Some more details;
http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=5047&start=1&highlight=amplifier&highlightmode=1

Anonymous's picture
Re: 463 300GD rev counter and clock

thanks - I will get searching ... I run a small electronics company so I guess we should be able to do the soldering!

Anonymous's picture
Re: H reg 463 300GD Tacho & Clock

No round thing ... what I could find I cleaned and WD40'd, fuze 10 good.  Still no tacho and clock.  I guess that the problem is with behind the instruments?!  The binnacle seems a bit of a bar steward to get out ...

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi Alan
the tacho is on fuse 10 and the clock fuse 13...have you checked to see if the stop lights and difflocks are working for fuse 10 and the hazards and dome light for fuse 13  if all working it is pointing to a problem in the instrument cluster area or if there is water in the passenger footwell a wet fuse board could give you all sorts of spurious malfunctions....

Anonymous's picture

Hi - fuses are goofd; it has to be the insrument cluster..  How easy is it to get out?

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi Alan
remove the steering wheel by removing the MB star motiff in the centre of the steering wheel and using a 27mm socket  ..apply two thin / wide blade levers  to each side between the shroud and the cluster and gently prise the cluster towards you..the speedo cable will restrict the forward movement but you can see if all the multi pin connectors are in place ..if you need to remove the cluster disconnect the speedo cable  ( Knurled fitting just behind the speedohead ) and the connectors . 

Anonymous's picture

Thank you - I will try that and report back!