460 Speedo mystery

5 replies [Last post]
tonyfrance
tonyfrance's picture

Hi

anyone seen this problem before. My speedo doesn't work at all. I took it out and can see the square drive rotating ok, if I hold this while driving, it turns in my fingers, so it isn't slipping. If I put a drill into the speedo drive it registers ok when the drill is on reverse.  When I put it all back together, no speedo!

The speedo cable is nicely square, the hole in the speedo is ok too.

Got me foxed.

thanks

Login or register to view attached files
tonyfrance
tonyfrance's picture
Re: 460 Speedo mystery

So I've reinstalled everything and now the mileometer and tripmeter are fine, the speedo in under recording the speed, just that to solve..

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

I am assuming by your photo that your test has been limited to the speedo side of things. It  could be the speedo cable is broken off at the transfer box side. Test from the other end.

Jdring
Jdring's picture
Location: South of Oxford, UK. 87' 230GE SWB Manual, 89' 230GE SWB Auto, 2012 G350Bluetec LWB
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

I understand it is quite common for the 'speedo' to continue to work, whilst the 'mileometer' stops or is intermittent.

I have not looked at the components (so take the following as a good guess), but the problem must be at the speedo unit end.  The cable drive is metal and the unit components are plastic and they wear.  probably there are 2 separate square plastic 'cogs' there - one for speedo, one for mileometer.  Perhaps your speedo one is worn, but you would see a very jerky speedo output in this case.  Alternatively, the spring resistance for the speedo needle has been damaged - perhaps by rotating the drive in the wrong direction too vigourously - e.g. put a drill on it to clock the mileometer!!!  Sounds like a new Speedo Unit in this case.

tonyfrance
tonyfrance's picture

Mystery solved, I'm guessing the car has stood for a long time. Took it for a bit of a run now its roadworthy of sorts and it gradually got faster!!

Thanks for the tips as ever

tonyfrance
tonyfrance's picture

Just to finish this off, the speedo under recording was due to the combination of no front prop shaft and having 2WD selected. This causes the speedo to record 50%.

Everyone knows of course that if you dont have a front prop you must run the car in SA mode or the bearing may get damaged!!