280GE starter fault

11 replies [Last post]
Silverwagon
Silverwagon's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

My 1989 280GE has developed an annoying fault, every now and again the starter motor will fail to operate. is this a common/known fault ?

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
Re: 280GE starter fault

Hi
fail to operate of fail to engage?

ChrisG
ChrisG's picture

Yes. My 280GE has had 3 starter motors in 10 years. The G has fewer weak points than many vehicles but IMHO this is one of them!

Chris

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

The G-Wagens are prone to starter problems approximately, at every 70-80,000 miles intervals. One of the common faults as you describe yours, they, at certain frequency do not operate. The starter develops dead spots at certain points on the armature, so if the armature should stop at just that point, there is no electric continuity. Thumping the body of the starter may move the armature so that it will start. Other faults are solenoid related, where the starter pinion will not throw into the starter ring gear. Some are ring related, again, as the starter develops continuity faults at certain points on the armature, the ring gear develops excessively worn teeth at certain points of the gear so that , should the pinion hit the gear at that point, it crashes and misses gearing and the engine does not turn.

One may rock the vehicle in gear (manual transmission only) to and fro on level ground and always ready to apply the hand brake to prevent the vehicle rolling out of control.  This re-positions the ring gear to another point hopefully, allowing the engagement of the pinion.  The ignition switch can be a source of similar problems, but these case are rarer.  

After all that is covered above, the basic and obvious must not be over looked, that is, earthing straps, battery terminals and such connections. 

Cheers,

eternal optimist
eternal optimist's picture

That sounds familiar. I had mine rebuilt - there was a problem with the solenoid.

needamerc
needamerc's picture

Take it out and have it reconditioned. Insist on a new solenoid and new bendix. Should be good for years after that.

MichaelG36
MichaelG36's picture

I've had starter problems too... 

I discovered the root cause of my problems was a design issue... the solonoid in the 280GE sits BELOW the motor... so any debris in the starter motor ... ultimately settles in the solenoid.

When I had mine out, I initially looked into fitting a rubber membrane around the engagement arm pivot pin (between the motor and the solonid magnet) ... but couldnt find any way/parts to do this.

So I setteled for drilling a couple of 1/8" drain holes in the neck of the solenoid housing to drain any fluids that might get in.  This addressed the particular problem I had at the time - oil from a leaky rear crankshaft seal was getting flicked arounf the bellhousing by the flywheel, entering the starter via the pinion aperture and then draining into the solenoid, gumming up the works. 

After I drilled the drain holes I have never had a problem again (despite the problem of the crank seal leaking ... however that's just been fixed too) 

Clearly, this option only works if you don't go 'deep' fording.

Michael

Silverwagon
Silverwagon's picture

Just on the off chance I cant get it to go I called my local factors - £218.32+VAT  for a new starter from bosch 24hour delivery. Is that a good price?

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi
about right for Bosch!! some overhaul workshops do Over The Counter Exchange for as little GBP 90...also there are other suppliers  of this starter try GSF parts  or Europarts FOR THE 280SL not the G.    OTCE..or new Autolite or Lucas.....try your local Yellow Pages for Overhaul shops .................

Silverwagon
Silverwagon's picture

Finally got round to taking off the old starter (89 280GE auto) - but seems near impossible to remove. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Is there a right way to do this or should I be removing something else first?

Any ideas most welcome

prwales
prwales's picture

its a very fiddly proceedure and ideally you need someone with small hands as its very tight to get a tool in there, perservere though and you will get there

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

The difficulty is the top bolt, I used to use a universal joint on the socket and then attached two  long extension bars that brought my socket near the transfer box; provided the socket remained attached on to the bolt, it was easier and possible to undo remove the bolt.