280GE - Is this a good/fair price?

2 replies [Last post]
g_funk
g_funk's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a 280GE. It seems to be in fairly good nick, only a bit of wear and tear in the interior and the chassis is pretty good, but i thought id ask for some advise before parting with the cash

There are only 2 things that are obviously wrong with the car:
The bottom hinge of the boot door is loose - it looks like rust has corroded the bit where it should bolt on to the chassis.
The odometer doesnt work!

The odometer is stuck at 32k. The current owner reckons he's done about 25-30k since it broke and it's a 1988 car, so I reckon true mileage is around 160-170K (and i'm hoping not 260-270k lol)

How big are both jobs to fix (i.e. how much!). I'm not too bothered about the odometer, but it would be nice to get it working.

If I buy it, we've agreed on £4300 - is that a reasonable price? It seems better than the prices listed on ebay - like the blue one currently on at £7000.

I'd appreciate any thoughts,

Cheers

G_Funk

prwales
prwales's picture
Re: 280GE - Is this a good/fair price?

you don't give enough information to confirm value, if there is a link to a website put it up so that we can give you more informed comment. Both the jobs mentioned should appear in the technical forums as both have been discussed at length. The mileage oughtn't to be an issue as the engines are reasonably robust, the rust could be though, so if you have pictures or as I wrote earlier post the link.

g_funk
g_funk's picture
Re: 280GE - Is this a good/fair price?

Unfortunately this car isnt for sale online, so I cant post a link. I didnt think to take any pictures either when I went and had a look today - I'll ask the guy if he can take a couple of pics and I'll post them when he sends them over.