230 overpriced?

14 replies [Last post]
marada
marada's picture

I was initially attracted to the smaller Engine G's due to their better fuel economy, however having read a few posts I am wary of some of the reports of engine problems in the 230s. 

Due to my budget I am looking at 1980s models but want something fairly mint.  Ideally I don't want to spend much more than about 3.5k and saw this go on Ebay the other day for £4300 (Item number: 251112566772)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=251112566772&nma=true&rt=nc&si=W7B%252BfWE9Q8MDB%252Fw6XHACG8TUQgY%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I have to say to the untrained eye the vehicle looks really good, but do people think the sale price was overpriced for a vehicle in this spec?  Or was it a real steal?

Thanks Adam

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: 230 overpriced?

Priced right for a mongrel but no intrinsic value ,slow and thirsty swb .

You should look for an original spec one...they look best... £4k should buy a clean 230 , not many about .Leave the 280 and the 617's performance is an aquired taste.

Check german autotrader ,prices seem to be gently rising .

marada
marada's picture

Thanks for your reply.  From the  buying advice it looks like the 290GD have the best engines for reliability and fuel economy.  Would I be able to pick up one of these G's for my budget?

May main concern is fuel economy and reliability of engine.

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture

Fuel economy not a feature on G's
290 in all forms is a bomb proof commercial engine ,sluggish w/out turbo
Doubt if you wd get one any where near budget
you may find high milers on www.mobile.de for euro 8000....check anyway to get your eye in

prwales
prwales's picture

There are lots of costly add ons with this vehicle, so the price it went for is a bit of a bargain if you indend off roading or if you are a serious posuer. All 460 vehicles are slow, the 230 engined is not that much slower than the 280 and a lot less thirsty, the diesel is even slower but you can run it flat out at motorway speeds the downside is the noise and the off beat nature of a five cylinder engine.
Your budget is too small to run to a 463 and probably not a lwb 460 either though you might get a rough ge280. The ge230 only came with the swb format and there is nothing wrong with the engine, the only real dud G-Wagen engine is the 3.5 diesel turbo [om603] from the early to mid 1990's. The engines in the 460's are reliable and straightforward the only complex one being the twin cam m110 engine in the 280; as in all things knowledge is valuable so try as many as you can before you buy.

marada
marada's picture
fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi Adam
MMmm
LHD. 2 seats. rotten floor. 4 speed gearbox. non turboed. looks like a converted van
premium insurance
  too expensive for what it is ......

bigblock
bigblock's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

That looks to be a very unusual spec of G Wagon/Puch you have found. It would appear to be a PUR van but with full length rear windows. I would imagine if you brought it to the UK it would probably be the only one here.

mark
mark's picture

Does look a bit rough. Windowed LWB 2 door's were available at one time. Far from a PUR though.

prwales
prwales's picture
bigblock
bigblock's picture

Hi Mark, I thought that all the twin rear door commercial 461 G Wagons were to PUR spec.

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

Overpriced....but if you want to see if he's an honest guy ask him where he got the bumpers made...as they were mine as where the wheels and tyres... I had them made..bumpers I mean and sold them to cliff and he sold them on..that car is £3000 max..regardless of how much he's spent in it , paint hides a lot 

mark
mark's picture

The way I understand it is, The PUR is a specific model.

Based on the 280 CDI "Worker".

Unlike the Worker, the PUR was sold to the general public. It was launched in time for the 30th anniversary in 3 different equipment packages. One of it's reasons for being was to test the water, to see if any one was interested in the 461 range, which for a few years had only been available to government bodies, UN, etc, and called the "Worker". I can't remember how many, but only a certain amount of PURS were made.

Because of the success of the PUR, the newly named Professional range was released. Whether van, station wagon or pick up, all are part of the Professional range.

You can spec a Professional station wagon identically to a PUR, but it is not technically a PUR.

mark
mark's picture

Oh, there was also the "Greenline" range too.

Worker, Greenline, Professional are the names given to the 461 model after it became permanent 4x4, all with CDI engines.

I am not aware if the earlier 461's 290GD, G290TD, etc, were ever given names, apart from military ones.

mark
mark's picture

Turns out I was talking nonsense

The PUR on the 280 CDI is an " Edition 30 PUR"

The "PUR" package is listed as a 10000 Euro option in the 2011 Professional brochure.