2012 G350cdi Somethings not right - Flared Arches.

11 replies [Last post]
gooch
gooch's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Look at the Arches - They Flare out like G55-AMG ones!!

Can it be a 2012 option?

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mercedes-benz/g-class/mercedes-benz-g350-bluetec/928144

hus55
hus55's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: 2012 G350cdi Somethings not right - Flared Arches.

well spotted gooch !!

it must be an option upgrade or something for the facelift version of the G.

that hike is crazy though.....!!!!

Aero94
Aero94's picture

That G350 has the Sport Pack option, which gives it the darker wheels (called Titanium Grey finish) and the flared archers; nothing strange, just an option box ticked

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

So Come on areo94 -lets see some photos of the new G.... and some thoughts on it.

Spider1V

Aero94
Aero94's picture

Hi Spider,

I'll have to take some photos!

Re my thoughts, haven't really done enough miles (circa 1,000)  to paint a full picture yet but my initial thoughts are, and in no particular order!:

Whilst the LWB is more practical for my current requirments (hauling equipment and people), I like the look of my SWB more

Off the line and below 60mph the G350, with the quoted 540 Nm at 1,600 rpm, doesn't feel slow when compared to the G500

The G500 comes into its own at motorway speeds but even then, the 350 doesn't struggle nor do I find myself wishing it was quicker.

With mixed town driving (and a few longer motorway jaunts) and an engine that is yet to be broken in, I'm getting low 20s mpg from the 350. Whilst perhaps a more sensible choice for long distance driving, it isn't going to get rave reviews in 'Eco Car' monthly ;)

Handling, cornering and general road use, I'd say the G350 and my SWB 500 are very similar. Whilst I'd bhe tempted ot give the SWB a marginal win, I enjoy hustling them both down the road. This may say more about my G500 than the G350 because I drove some real dogs in the search for it, so perhaps it is simply a good example to compare against the 10 yuear newer G350? Whatever the case, there isn't a lot in it.

Interior finish on the G350 is nice and although car-like, it still feels 'utility' and I am not concerned about getting it dirty (inside or out). The moment you add carpet, it is never going to be as easy to clean as a 461 but the standard rubber floor mats and load area cover have done a good job dealing with the current monsoon conditions. If I had a complaint it would be that the drivers mat is pretty small and not well designed.

Exterior, what is there to say - it is a G!

Hope that gives an initial impression of the G350

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Cheers for that Aero - will perhaps see you in the new year on salisbury plain???? :)

Spider1V

hus55
hus55's picture

nice fleet you have there aero !!!

great write up too making a comparison between them both.

poor spider will need move up a nothc to G55 territory if he wants to keep his wood and carpets charima...

rgds hus

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Agree, the flares look unusual but these are flares off a 2013 model, as fitted to the Bluetec version ; I thought and still think they do not quite blend in. 

cheers,

Aero94
Aero94's picture

Hus,

I wish I could say I was keeping the G-fleet; however, my intention is to sell the G500, although part of me is definitely tempted to keep it.

Having two, when I do have another toy in the garage, is both financially stupid and possibly 'relationship suicide'.  ;)

I have found one thing that annoys me about the G350:

I assume that the EU/UK Gov powers that be have forced Merc UK to install this feature; however, because the speedo only denotes MPH, the lower digital display shows a digital KPH. In the instruction manual, it says you can change the digital display to read MPH or KPH, so I tried to do so. Nothing happened! I then thought that perhaps I was doing it wrong, so I did it again. Still no change! After the 5th time, I read the manual and saw a footnote that says, "In the UK it is not possible to choose the MPH option"; I assume this is because of a legal EU requirement to have all speedos show both MPH and KPH. Whilst it is annoying to have KPH always shown, the other frustration is that in the rest of Europe, you can choose between the digital speed or the outside temp. As I cannot deactivate it, I cannot have the temp either! I never noticed how much I enjoyed looking at the outside temp until I can't have it on display!

Aero94
Aero94's picture

I agree Rakesh, there is something that doesn't look quite right; although I'm not a fan of the G63 either - it is starting to look like a cartoon drawing of a car.

phileas
phileas's picture

Hi Aero,

Thanks for your review: interesting. Just by the way, we have the MPH/KMH issue on my wife's GL as well. Incredibly annoying!!!!! ........ however, if you want to see outside temperature, when the display shows your actual mileage stance, 'scroll' down two or three times and then the outside temperature miraculously appears. This is what happens on the GL: I imagine the 'Comand' software/thingamigiggy package is the same for all Mercs these days.

....I finally sold my G300TD (and kept the 500)......like you, too many toys........REALLY REALLY regret it as I'll never find another like it. However, have to say that the 500 is - in my humble opinion - the best one (out of the factory) they ever made: couldn't imagine selling it!

Good luck with working out all the options in the comand package!....still working on it here....

Phileas

Aero94
Aero94's picture

Hi Phileas,

I know what you mean about the temp in the multifunction display; however, the pain is it resets every time you turn the car off. This then means I need to scroll through the menu to get to the temp, when it seems EU owners can simply choose to have it in the fixed display, in the place we are forced to have the KPH.

On the upside, I've had my winter tyres fitted today, so I'm feeling like I could take on a full scale blizzard!