2011 G advice for a new member....

10 replies [Last post]
irish boy
irish boy's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hey guys joined up today for some advice. Love the G....always have. dad always ran new mercedes and have early memories of lifting G brouchers and dreaming.....

Anyway 2011 G350's are now 70-72k ish sub 10k miles and I'd much prefer one of these to any other 4x4 on the market the only thing I'm worried about is resale. Where do people think these are going to be in 18-36 months? Will they be easy enough to sell? Would love to buy one but don't want to take a 40k bath over the next 2 years for the privilege.

Cheers in advance............

gooch
gooch's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: 2011 G advice for a new member....

If you like Right hand drive only then theres quite a few G's to choose from on the Autotrader, Pistonheads and Ebay.

Theres about three RHD G500's on the market if you like realiability etc!

1. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-G500-2000-LWB-RHD-Very-Rare-Car-Right...

2. http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3510691.htm

3. And possibly a G500 in grey from a forum member here, 2001 W463 LWB RHD for £35k.

Where will the prices be in two years you ask!
Well you only have to look at  this below and see for yourself a W463 92 is fetching - Just shows you that after even after 20 years what prices these machines fetch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-300-GD-G-Wagon-LWB-/220954201852?pt=A...

As for G350's They should't drop that much I would say around the £40k's.
Would it be easy to sell - These motors don't take that much time to sell, remember not many are made so they not only hold thier values but move on in the market quite fast.

Regards
G

Theo
Theo's picture

Here are a few indications:
the RHD G350 depreciates ca. £10k in value once driven for a few hundred miles, i.e. they sell for ca. £75 - 77k.
that brings the value roughly in line with the German used G prices, however, the RHD 350 tend to have a higher spec; based on prices paid in Germany, a five-year old G350 with 30k miles on the clock should sell for ca. £ 50k;
there appears to be an update for the G this summer bringing the interior more in line with the new ML class; at the upper end there will be two AMG version, the G500 will retain the current engine; unconfirmed is whether the G350 engine will be upgraded to ca. 250 hp;
the update might have a negative effect on the resale value of the G350; so it might be sensible to wait with your purchase until the autumn.

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

<p> The only advice I can give is that a member looked at a new one (85K+) and did some shopping around and could get one about 6 months old about 4-5K on the clock, the deal was £55K! Some drop in 6 months!. History tells that the there will probably not be many G's sold, as they have had a mixed review from the auto press, and while capable, not many MErc dealers know how to sell em, so probably in about 3-4 yeasr MB will stop selling them and then the prices will start rising (again).

I initiall brought mine for a 2 years stint, but that was almost 5 years ago! Just love the G, the family love the G and while it still goes, expect to keep hold of it for longer! (Just been up to dent) and most of the members there have had their G's for a lot longer....

As gooch has posted, find a pre 2002 G500 and the price hardly moves. Find a Good 300D and it will probably go up... The new ones are very well loaded and come with all the whizz bangs etc and you can not go wrong, but until MB annouce they will stop doing the RHD and people know the numbers that are avaiable I woudl say expect to lose quite a few pounds in the first 36 months... (this is a personal opinion and not representitive of full knowledge of the 350)

Spider1V</p>

prwales
prwales's picture

if you can deal with LHD then you increase the size of your market (all of Europe) at sale time, and LHD models prices are much more stable and predictable. There are lots of fantasy prices out there at the moment for early 463's, dreamers scammers and opportunists, sample lots before you commit.

irish boy
irish boy's picture

Cheers for all the great advice guys.....was very usefull while thrashing out a deal! Got a great deal done that I reckon will minimise my depreciation.....2011 pre-reg, grey, chrome pack, rear seat entertainment, styling pack, tow pack, chilled/heated seats, privicy etc etc 800 mles. Pick it up at 3pm today....very much looking forward to it always loved G's since I was young and will consider it an honour to run one for the next few years if God spares me.

Also looking forward to being a part of this community.

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Post some pictures and your intial thoughts driving home!!!!!

Congrats and hope to see you doing some major off roading in your new toy!

Spider1V

hus55
hus55's picture

hi there and welcome to the forum.

seems you are on to a winner mate ! please post pics of this beast for us to dream...

rgds hus

irish boy
irish boy's picture

Cheers guys....very much enjoyed the drive home...feels so solid...very much like my old 91 w126 560sel which is a very good thing believe me!

Visitors coming now so it's going to be tomorrow before I get a proper run and try work out the command/harddrive.....

irish boy
irish boy's picture

ok for some reason it's only showing part of that photo....

hus55
hus55's picture

this will do for now......! nice colour.

your comparison actually is exactly how i compare my 96 model G300. THEY REALL DO HAVE THAT W126 SOLID FEEL UNLIKE MOST OF THE CURRENT LINE UP OF MERCS PRODUCED NOW ADAYS !